Can a TCH w/Navi owner help me out??

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Can a TCH w/Navi owner help me out??

Hi everyone...

At one of the dealers I visited, I asked if the current toyota nav system had a particular highway present. They told me that it was still missing - a year and a half after the opening of the road. They were basing this on some "older" vehicle's Nav systems.

I was wondering if one of you TCH owners (with the Navi system) could zoom in on the greater Grand Rapids, MI area, and let me know if Highway M-6 is present in its entirety, connecting I-196 on the far west side of the Grand Rapids area to I-96 on the far eastern end of the Grand Rapids area. My wife's 05 Honda Accord only has the stretch from I-96 to M-37 (about a 2 or 3 mile segment on the far eastern end). This section was opened first, about 3 years ago, while the remaining section that extends about 15 miles further west didn't open until December of '04. This is a new "major" highway that provides a bypass around the south side of Grand Rapids. Trying to drive on this road while using the nav is a constant barrage of requests for U-turns and turns, since it doesn't know that it is on a road.

The lack of this road is a major setback for those who want to take advantage of the new bypass.

When I take delivery of my new TCH, I would like to try to get the dealership to add in a "free" upgrade to the next version of the software. Has anyone successfully gotten this from a dealer? Any suggestions on how to talk them into it? I am pretty sure I will end up paying MSRP, and the only negotiation will be on the value of my trade-in. A 200-300 DVD (that really costs less than half this) can't possibly break a dealer!

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Can a TCH w/Navi owner help me out??

Originally Posted by spiff72
When I take delivery of my new TCH, I would like to try to get the dealership to add in a "free" upgrade to the next version of the software. Has anyone successfully gotten this from a dealer? Any suggestions on how to talk them into it? I am pretty sure I will end up paying MSRP, and the only negotiation will be on the value of my trade-in. A 200-300 DVD (that really costs less than half this) can't possibly break a dealer!
Well I didn't get them to give me one for free but they did agree to give it to me for dealer cost. On the bypass issue I haven't checked if it has it but on ours even with our local bypass on the maps it still routes you on to the buisness version of the road, in some cases taking you well out of your way to get on it.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:43 PM

If you want to see M-6 in google maps, just go to:

maps.google.com

and enter 49508 in the search field. The view that pops up for me shows a nice map of the area, with M-6 framed nicely along the bottom of the window (it is also known as the "Paul B. Henry Freeway".

Notice how much straighter this road is when you want to get from I-196 to I-96 - the path through Grand Rapids takes you much further north than you need to go. This road is known as the "south beltline" around here...

Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Spiff,

I just checked mine out. It is just like your wifes '05 Accord. Only the section between 96 East of the city to just SW of the airport is there.

Sorry!

Old 06-28-2006, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Spiff,

I just checked mine out. It is just like your wifes '05 Accord. Only the section between 96 East of the city to just SW of the airport is there.

Sorry!
Grrrr! Thanks for checking!