Camry Trunk Organizer - Who has one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:34 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER
Thumbs up Re: Camry Trunk Organizer - Who has one?

Looks like a great idea!

I just ordered one for about $60.00 incl. shipping here:

http://www.trdsparks.com/part_detail...um=00016-32801

Old 11-22-2008, 01:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Trunk Organizer - Who has one?

Originally Posted by tbone526
How much can you put in it before the weight of the items in the holder causes the trunk lid to fall down?
In one of the mesh pockets of mine I found a yellow paper slip with a warning not to put in more than 6 pounds of goods to avoid risk of unsafe rapid closing.

My experience is similar to (Userboy) Brad's.

I usually keep the car's manuals, first aid kit, flashlight, small towel/rag, and a few small hand tools.

With this stuff, my trunk lid will rest slightly open about 6 inches, will stay wide open if opened past it's normally stable position, can be moved effortlessly in between these states and will close much more effortlessly than without the weight. In short, I find the trunk lid much better balanced with the extra weight than without it.

I never weighed my stuff, I just found a well balanced condition by trial and error.

With most of my usual stuff and also a small set of jumper cables, the weight was definitely too much -- the trunk lid closed uncontrollably too fast and slammed shut.

Thanks to Brad for explaining the umbrella holder. I start stowing an umbrella as well, even if I need to move the manuals or the first aid kit back to the glove box to keep the best weight balance.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 11-22-2008 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast

I just ordered one for about $60.00 incl. shipping here:

DOH! Naturally, I pulled the trigger too soon and ordered the one from my original post.

Anyway, I just got my car, so I can't wait to install it!

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by userboy
I've got something in every pocket, but not sure how much it weighs. It definitely helps make the trunk easy closing. I've learned exactly the point from which to drop it so it closes every time.
However, my dad did hit his head once when he didn't push it up far enough for it to stay open or continue opening, but he wasn't aware of the organizer.
For the driver who is, and family members that ride in the car on a regular basis, I don't think it's a problem.
How did you get the Torsion clips to mount? I can remove the trunk spring clips but the clips do not seem to fit. I tried ti bend them open and place them over the old slots on the trunk hinge but they do not seem to work at all.
Any ideas?

Old 12-16-2008, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

I just installed one these this past weekend with my brother-in-law, a Toyota mechanic. After completing the job, I realized it was something that could be very easily done yourself. No drilling is required at all, just use the included template and punch out the holes with an awl or knife tip.

The one thing you will need to do the job properly is the "nutsert". The center is held in place using this(there is just an empty hole in the trunk sheet metal). I believe this item from Harbor Freight should suffice:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1210

Old 12-16-2008, 06:21 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER
Question Re: Camry Trunk Organizer - Who has one?

Originally Posted by aka Bitter
I just installed one these this past weekend with my brother-in-law, a Toyota mechanic. After completing the job, I realized it was something that could be very easily done yourself. No drilling is required at all, just use the included template and punch out the holes with an awl or knife tip.

The one thing you will need to do the job properly is the "nutsert". The center is held in place using this(there is just an empty hole in the trunk sheet metal). I believe this item from Harbor Freight should suffice:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1210
Did you use the torsion clips and if so how did you get them on? I need them as the trunk lid is is too heavy now (spoiler installed) and I can't get them on.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roseng
Did you use the torsion clips and if so how did you get them on? I need them as the trunk lid is is too heavy now (spoiler installed) and I can't get them on.

My brother in law put them in, he just leaned inside the trunk and stuck them in there, no tool or anything. I'll check with him and find out what he did specifically.

Wanted to reiterate to the original poster, no drillling is required. The hole in the center of the trunk is already there, just need to crimp the nutsert into it.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:48 AM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by aka Bitter
My brother in law put them in, he just leaned inside the trunk and stuck them in there, no tool or anything. I'll check with him and find out what he did specifically.

Wanted to reiterate to the original poster, no drillling is required. The hole in the center of the trunk is already there, just need to crimp the nutsert into it.
Great, thanks.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

FWIW, I figured out how the torsion clips worked/were installed. Essentially they extend the length of the lever arm that connects to the bent metal torsion bar/spring (thus making the torsion bar more effective at keeping the trunk lid open).

Basically, look for the straight arm that connects to the trunk lid hinge arm, and where it comes in contact with the heavy gauge torsion bar/spring. If you open and close the trunk some, while watching this connection, you will see how the spring works.

With the trunk fully open, grab the straight arm and the torsion spring in each hand. Push the spring, effectively moving it the same way it goes when the trunk lid closes (while holding the straight trunk arm still). This will disengage the straight arm from the spring. Take the clipand slip it on the end of the straight arm, effectively lengthening the straight arm. The half circle side of the clip should be what engages the torsion spring. To reingage the straight arm with the torsion spring, compress the spring again (the same way you did before) and move the arm up to make the torsion clip (now installed on the arm) half circle sit on the torsion spring.

That probably made no sense.. if anyone still needs help, i can take pictures

Old 02-16-2009, 04:17 PM
HAPPY TCH OWNER

Originally Posted by jmfreefly
FWIW, I figured out how the torsion clips worked/were installed.
I finally got mine installed, but thanks for the follow up. In my car there were small round hooks that looped onto the torsion bar preventing the clip installation. I finally just broke them off and the clips went on smoothly.
Cheers.

Quick Reply: Camry Trunk Organizer - Who has one?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands