Camry rated marginal on rear accident protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:51 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Camry rated marginal on rear accident protection

The 2007 Camry's were rated marginal for rear protection in an accident in the latest Insurance Institute for Highway Safety ratings news release for 2007 cars and SUVs. The Camry was rated good(highest ranking) in side and front protection.

See this link for the news release:
http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr112106.html

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
iihs_news_112106.pdf (179.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry rated marginal on rear accident protection

I saw that article recently. I'm thankful that the headrest actually fits me so well. My '99 Passat's front seat headrests were adjustable forward/backward. So were my father's '83 Camry's. Not at all sure why such a nice car would lack that feature. (Not to mention folding side mirrors.)

Old 11-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The headrest fits me well, but my wife is shorter, and the way it's shaped hits the top of her head, tilting it forward. In a rear end accident, I worry that her neck would be hurt.

I would love to see Toyota come out with a different headrest for the TCH. (and I also wonder why the TCH doesn't have folding side mirrors...)

Old 11-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Re: Headrests

I test drove the Civic Hybrid before deciding on a Camry Hybrid. It has the new headrests that are suppose to move forward and upward in a collision. All well and good, but they are not adjustable, and are way too forward already. I actually got a headache from the test drive, and it also bothered my wife's neck too. In the forums, people are even replacing them with headrests from 2006 Accords.

So, it could be worse! The TCH headrest is still a bit too forward for me, but ok (from what I remember...I receive my car next week).

Old 11-21-2006, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by abward
Re: Headrests

I test drove the Civic Hybrid before deciding on a Camry Hybrid. ... In the forums, people are even replacing them with headrests from 2006 Accords.

So, it could be worse! The TCH headrest is still a bit too forward for me, but ok (from what I remember...I receive my car next week).
Does anyone know what other Toyota headrests will fit the TCH?

Old 11-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, when I drove the TCH, the sales dude told me that those headrests are also rigged a bit forward for whiplash avoidance.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by abward
BTW, when I drove the TCH, the sales dude told me that those headrests are also rigged a bit forward for whiplash avoidance.
Yes, they're moved forward and because of that are uncomfortable like hell. I can not imagine them being moved forward anymore because I would not be able to sit in the car at all. Even those headrest I have now make me move my head to the side and lean it against the side window which is not really a good idea in case of side crash, which would deploy side curtains straight into my head. Maybe because I'm 6'3, but if I find another headrest that fits and it's more reclined to the rear I will replace it in a jiffy. I really have no idea why rear crash test would show the headrest as being less than ideal, are they assuming the driver will be hugging the steering wheel and be far away from the seat? I also wish I could find side folding mirrors. The way it is now, if something hits the mirror, the whole door will be damaged and probably would need replacement, easily avoided in a lot of cases with folding mirror. Saved my previous car from damage more than once. But that's about all the complains I have about the car and hopefully will find solutions to make it perfect soon.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Active Enthusiast

Suggestion one: Take it out and turn it around. This may be just about right for you. I guess you are increasing your whiplash potential if you do.

Suggestion two: I as wondering if the metal poles could be bent in a vise, or maybe via a rubber mallet. If they were straighten-up a bit, then you might be ok.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

I think they find the headrests less than ideal because they are not sculptured to cradle your head like those in some Volvos I've seen.

I'm 6'3" tall - 200-210 (after Thanksgiving) 34" inseam and I fit just fine and am comfortable with the headrests.

I'm also comfortable with the crash rating of the Toyota Camry and am curious how they would rate the Hybrid version.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I think they find the headrests less than ideal because they are not sculptured to cradle your head like those in some Volvos I've seen.

I'm 6'3" tall - 200-210 (after Thanksgiving) 34" inseam and I fit just fine and am comfortable with the headrests.

I'm also comfortable with the crash rating of the Toyota Camry and am curious how they would rate the Hybrid version.
Ya, every stinkin american vehicals did very poorly in the latest tests which does not surprise me.

Quick Reply: Camry rated marginal on rear accident protection

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands