Camry Hybrid in the snow...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 02:29 PM
Olde Farte
Default Re: Camry Hybrid in the snow...

Originally Posted by Sooty
I don't see your point here?

I see a Camry buried in snow, I don't see it moving anywhere.

Perhaps a video on YouTube would be more appropriate.
I dug it out shortly after these pictures were taken. Yesterday it would NOT have made it - but today I think we could have got it out of our residential area.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Funny, we have some pictures just like that! I'm trying out my Camry tomorrow - if my workplace opens back up. It did fine on the way home at noon on Wednesday (before things got really bad), so I'm not too worried.

I think I'd rather have 8 3-inch snowstorms than one 24-inch storm...

Old 12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Olde Farte

Originally Posted by elsifer
Funny, we have some pictures just like that! I'm trying out my Camry tomorrow - if my workplace opens back up. It did fine on the way home at noon on Wednesday (before things got really bad), so I'm not too worried.

I think I'd rather have 8 3-inch snowstorms than one 24-inch storm...
Are you in Denver?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:47 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

We got a few inches today of the really wet heavy stuff. The TCH did very well. It would run in EV mode through the wet snow quite well once you gassed it up to about 20mph it would maintain and even accelerate in EV. Below 20mph, it would not maintain in EV mode. Seems like the way to get the most out of your TCH is to not even try to start from a dead stop in EV mode.
Also, if you didn't back off the throttle it would just sit there at 20mph at 20MPG without going into EV mode and the FE would stay at 20MPG. I thought that to be rather odd..

Last edited by Big-Foot; 12-21-2006 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCH2007
Are you in Denver?
Littleton, actually.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

How is the cardboard or whatever wheel-well liner holding up in the snow?

Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: Camry Hybrid in the snow...

I just drove across Snoqualmie Pass here in Washington State, last night with snow and ice on the road. It was snowing pretty hard for about 30 miles, but there really wasn't that much accumulation on the road itself, although the highway messages claimed there was ice in places. I left the cruise control on at 65 MPH the whole trip, something I don't normally do while driving on an icy surface, but I noticed no sliding or slipping. I did have to brake a couple times for some slow truckers passing a few accidents on the road, but again there was no feeling of sliding at any time. I have a 16 Cu Ft Yakima Cargo box to make up for the lack of trunk space so my TCH was fully loaded. It should be interesting to see how it handles the road conditions on the return trip!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM
vic
Enthusiast
Thumbs down Re: Camry Hybrid in the snow...

I have 2008 Camry Hybrid. I have owned 8 different cars so far. This car's performance on snow is the worst I have ever experienced so far. With just 1 inch of snow on the ground the car simply becomes out of control. This is 2nd year for ownership and I am already looking at switching the car. Camry Hybrid is simply too dangerous to drive on snow. Not only the car is difficult to drive in snow due to poor traction control but the braking is also very poor in snow. Car start drifting sideways with just 1 inch snow on the ground. I can't imagine driving this car in heavy snow. Please join me to raise this as concern to Toyota. The car might be a green car but what's the point if you don't feel safe in driving it during winter season. I won't recommend this car to anyone who lives in snow zone.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I agree, I burned a few gallons of gas trying to get up my friend's driveway.
On the other hand, the VSC does a great job of preventing skids and spinouts, so on balance it's a push (pardon the pun...get it? push, as in push the car when it gets stuck....ugh)

Old 11-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Along for the ride.....

I have driven it for two winters here in Maine. I never had any unusual worries in driving it in light or heavy snow. It didn't seem any different than any other front wheel drive car I've had. I do drive in snow like an old codger though.

Quick Reply: Camry Hybrid in the snow...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands