Camry Hybrid on the road

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Camry Hybrid on the road

Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys face the same abuse and harassement i have when driving your Camry Hybrid or Hybrid vechicle in particular.

Just today itself in the Toronto highway and streets of Toronto, i got horn at and shown the middle finger. All this for no reason. They just were pushing me to go faster when there is no where to go in front of me. As the traffic is like bumper to bumper. At times it really gets into me and wanting to race with them. Then i just calm down and forget about it.

When i was driving my civic, none of this will happened as i will be speeding way faster than them and didn't give them a chance at all. I guess i change my driving attitude. But is there anything we can do at these drivers????

Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry Hybrid on the road

nope. Just laugh, smile and give them the thumbs up (IOW, don't retaliate... if you're happy, it make them even more pissed lol).

I've seen it happen although it's "passive". I drove a full-size pickup truck a few times this past summer as part of my job. I did 80km/h on the highway and the speed limit's 80km/h. I slowly accelerate (it's a V8.. i'm trying to conserve fuel!!) up to 80km/h. I was sure the guy behind would overtake but he didn't. I was rather surprised. If I were in my Prius, he would definitely have overtaken me (like others have on that same highway).

Old 09-06-2007, 07:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by megamonsterman
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys face the same abuse and harassement i have when driving your Camry Hybrid or Hybrid vechicle in particular.

Just today itself in the Toronto highway and streets of Toronto, i got horn at and shown the middle finger. All this for no reason. They just were pushing me to go faster when there is no where to go in front of me. As the traffic is like bumper to bumper. At times it really gets into me and wanting to race with them. Then i just calm down and forget about it.

When i was driving my civic, none of this will happened as i will be speeding way faster than them and didn't give them a chance at all. I guess i change my driving attitude. But is there anything we can do at these drivers????
Just give them smile, if they pulled in gas station

Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

I kind of feel they discriminate people who is driving a hybrid or they are jealous as they do not have the money or be part of the people who cares about the environment and save gas.

All this really makes me feel, are they really in a hurry that much??? Then why not plan ahead to make your trip earlier. It is not like i am so slow that i am holding traffic. I am just driving 10km higher than the posted speed. Do i really have to speed like crazy to make a point that hybrid cars can kick non-hybrid *** if they really want to? But to do that i have to use more gas.....

sigh so sad... These ppl are indeed sad....

Old 09-06-2007, 08:36 PM

yes they are. Just note that even if you do use more gas, it's still less than them lol.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 AM

I occasionally annoy people as I'm driving along this hilly (well mostly one big hill but goes up/down in stages) tree-lined road next to some reservation land, where the speed limit is 30 miles per hour. I do as much EV driving as I can both up and down (some stretches I can get up the milder inclines all on EV with no speed loss, other places I just try to get enough speed to EV myself over the next little hump, etc), so my speed varies between about 40 (after going down a decline) and around 30, the lowest I usually go without letting the ICE kick in to get me enough speed for the next round. Often there are people lined up behind me, sometimes running pretty close, who want to go 40-50 miles per hour, and I just ignore them. A couple of weeks ago I was having a nice drive there with my moonroof open, and someone was beeping or flashing lights or something, and when we passed the next speed limit 30 sign, I stuck my hand up through the moonroof to point the sign out to the guy, hehe. I have also had someone pass me illegally on that stretch.

Mostly I say to myself "I don't care what you think" when someone seems to be getting antsy. And often find myself wondering why these people who get upset or have to shoot past me are in such a hurry to get to the next red light so fast. You can pass me at 60 if you want but if I end up at the same red light doing 30 and exactly behind you, you haven't gained much but you've wasted lots of extra gas.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've had people get nasty like that on the highway if I have more than 10 feet of space in front of me. Last week, this happened to me on the way home from work and the guy then tried to illegally pass me on the *right*. I hate to admit it, but I wanted to show the guy that Camry Hybrids aren't weak. I punched the gas as he got beside me and easily closed up the hole in front of me (These Camry Hybrids really have excellent passing power!). He ended up being stuck 4 cars behind me because of the slower traffic in his lane...
I get really sick of people trying to pass me like that when I'm going the SAME speed as the person in front of me (but leaving a car length or 2 of space for safety).

Last edited by andrewbmoore; 10-11-2007 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Whoops... Meant to say illegal pass on RIGHT.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Newbie and lovin' it!

Screw it. Give 'em BOTH fingers...you can steer with your knees

Old 09-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Be sure to hypermile in the FAR right lane.

Slower traffic keep right. Even if you are doing the speed limit. It is the polite and lawful way to drive.

If they get pissed at you then, it is THEIR problem!

Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Active Enthusiast

Amazing, that you all seem to be thinking along the same lines when it comes to handling the people who want to drive more agressivly, as do almost all drivers,.Why not ease over to the right while maintaining your speed, and let the person pass? You will probably get a "thank you" wave instead of the finger, and have lost nothing. I love my 50th anniversary edition Camry hybrid, and I drive it BOTH ways. Sometimes I want to "go" and I love the fact that it is so capable. Sometimes I dtive for the best mph of the moment. When I want to "go",,, I would appreciate it if you would move over. Just my 3 cents.

Quick Reply: Camry Hybrid on the road

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands