Buying 2012 Camry Hybrid (HL)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 PM
Enthusiast
Default Buying 2012 Camry Hybrid (HL)

In 2004 I decided to buy a Hybrid. I did not like the Prius dash layout or drive so I purchased a Honda Civic Hybrid demo from a dealer in Canberra. The first dealer I went to didn't have one and didn't take my enquiry seriously, so I bought the one I drove at the second dealership. I did country miles and achieved 5.2L/100kM (~45US MPG) regularly. At 160000 kM (100000Mile) I decided to trade it on another Civic Hybrid as I was more than happy with my first. I purchased a series II Civic hybrid (Nov 07 build) which has had a series of ongoing issues that Honda deny. My kids named it "Honda square wheels" after a certain cartoon character due to its intermittent surging. It has been much the same even a bit thirstier than its predecessor. I have moved from the country into the city (kids education) and its fuel consumption has also risen. Now at about 7.0L/100kM. Also the sluggish acceleration not noticable highway cruising but very noticable in the suburbs with roundabouts and fast traffic flow. I have decided to get rid of it but want to buy another hybrid. My experience with Honda has ensured I will never own another and although my wife has owned two Prius (A gen II and a gen III) I'm still uncomfortable driving one. I've checked out the new generation Camry Hybrid and I'm suitably impressed that I've put down a deposit and am anxiously awaiting delivery this month. The top spec known here as HL

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Buying 2012 Camry Hybrid (HL)

Great choice, you will be impressed by driving the new high tech hybrid Camry. I think of my '12 TCH as a expanded midsize due to it's roomy interior.

Be sure to press the ECO button once, located on the front part of the console. The ECO indicator will light up just above the ECO meter just to the left of your speedometer. This will help you achieve better gas mileage. When you see the EV light come on, that means your engine has stopped and your driving in the EV mode. (on batteries) The engine will auto-start when the traction battery needs recharging.

I tried to buy a Honda Accord when it first came out many years ago. The showroom north of dallas was packed with onlookers. I stopped one salesman and ask what it would take to buy one. He said, sticker price and that's it, then disappeared into the crowd. We disappeared out the side door to go buy a brand new Toyota Corolla down the street. I'm on my fourth and best Toyota ever, my second TCH.

My advice it to use a brand of gasoline from the www.toptiergas.com/ site.

Watch the video first then click the link, Retailers to see the many brands of gasoline that had twice the additives of the government based gasoline's.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-11-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 AM
Enthusiast

Here's a link to our Australian Camry range
http://www.toyota.com.au/camry/range..._RangeandSpecs
As I mentioned above, mine is the HL

Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cosmo-luce
Here's a link to our Australian Camry range
http://www.toyota.com.au/camry/range..._RangeandSpecs
As I mentioned above, mine is the HL
Great choice, your Camry HL looks like the American version XLE.

I would like to know what brand of tyres comes on your new TCH if you don't mind my asking.

Being it's Summer in your country you should be able to get good gas mileage with your new ride. Be sure to read the page in your car manual about the break-in-tips.

I found that after 4000 miles I started getting improved mpg. Evidently the engine was then fully-in.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I read this past week that the 2013 Camry Hybrids will arrive in the U.S. in January. Don't know about Australia. Just wanted to mention that. I've decided to wait to buy until then and choose between a better deal on a 2012 or a newer model year.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I read this past week that the 2013 Camry Hybrids will arrive in the U.S. in January. Don't know about Australia. Just wanted to mention that. I've decided to wait to buy until then and choose between a better deal on a 2012 or a newer model year.
I don't know what the end of year discounts are for the '12 TCH. I doubt it will cover the first year deprecation of the 2012 Camry Hybrid. That may be different if you plan to drive it for like 10 years. Then again the popular '12 TCH may not depreciate that much due to it's popularity.

I see some post are now showing a few small improvements for the 2013 model. I read that the '13 price is about $165 higher than the '12 model when it had first came out in November 2012.

Here is the truecar web site where you can figure a average local dealers current price. The sales managers will laugh if you mention this site which seem legit to me. You need to put in your own zip code to configure it to your local dealers pricing that others paid.

http://www.truecar.com/#search

Last edited by rburt07; 12-12-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
I would like to know what brand of tyres comes on your new TCH if you don't mind my asking.
"Bridgestone Turanza ER33" I believe

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by cosmo-luce
"Bridgestone Turanza ER33" I believe
If you keep the oem tyres make sure you keep them inflated to around 36 psi when cold.

My car came with the E-400 version of the Tauranza. I read so many things about it not lasting long and other problems. I got my new TCH 8 months ago I drove it to a Tire chain store in El Paso. I had called 5 of their stores asking how much they would allow me in trade for the new 17" tires on my car. One store quoted me $69 for each tire as 17" tires are becoming popular. I traded them in and paid the $500 US difference for a new set of Michelin Primacy MXV4 tyres. The size was 225/55R17. The series 94H has the deeper 11/32" tread. Some have driven these tires to 85K miles with no problems.

I figure why not, pay for a new set of tires around 21K or paying for a quality set now that might last 50K+ and be driving on much safer tire.

Tirerack is very detailed on rating all the various brands of tyres. These ER33 tyres are said to go about 20 to 25,000 miles till they need replacing.

Here below is one of the first of many customer reviews on the ER33 tire from the tirerack.com/ web site.

May 04, 2012
Inside front tire tread separated from rest of tire going 70 mph on highway at 25000 miles creating a hazardous condition. This happened to tire on right front side of car. Tread separation is also happening to tire on left front side of car. Would never buy these OE vehicle tires again. Going with Michelin as replacements.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

This is my second Camry Hybrid. This current one I have had for 7 months, almost at 20,000 miles and so far the car continues to be impressive. I have no regrets at this point.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Enthusiast

Picked her up today

Last edited by cosmo-luce; 12-30-2012 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Buying 2012 Camry Hybrid (HL)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands