Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Two city driving suggestions that pay big dividends in fuel economy:

When I first got my car, I made the mistake of trying to be a 'granny' about driving it to get the best economy. But due to my slow acceleration, I wouldn't get to my cruising speed fast enough, and ended up running the ICE (internal combustion engine) far longer than needed.

The best cure I know for poor city mileage is… your TCH's cruise control. Many people never learn to use the cruise control in city conditions. Especially in the city your foot cannot begin to modulate the gas pedal for optimal economy. When you start to use the steering column stalk to 'resume,' 'accelerate,' and 'cancel' your speeds of 35-40 MPH ideally, you WILL find tremendous and unexpected gains. My finger is lightning-fast now and I seldom use my foot to drive anymore.

So, try to accelerate at a pace comparable to your pre-hybrid days, and then hit 'cruise' at your first opportunity. Then drive in such a way that you can maximize your TCHs cruising time.

Old habits can be hard to break. Driving a TCH most economically is counter-intuitive to ordinary driving techniques, yet will make you a happy driver once they become second nature.
Hi Steve,

I think I am little slow or real dump. But please clarify few things below.

Does it mean that you always or try always to use Cruize in City Driving?

If I remember correct, Cruze will be effective from 40 KMH or 24.85 MPH. Correct?

So you try to accelerate quickly over 40 KMH and then start Cruze even in city.

when you are coasting around 50 KMH and if you are using Cruze, can you coast steadily in just EV mode?

What happens when you cancel cruze? Can you use Resume button at a speed below 40 KMH to rsume to your original set speed of 50 KMS? (probably Not)

Or you will have to accelerate to over 40 KMS and then use resume to coast at 50 KMS?

Sorry, I should not be asking these kind of stupid questions here rather than trying out all these on my own. But as I always say here, some of you guys are great experts and always provide some great tips.

Thanks

Always admire technology and all "Gurus" for helping idiot like me.

Have a great weekend wondeful TCH driving (of course safe) experience.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:14 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Buyer's Remorse

Your questions are great, and there should be a post just to talk about the ways to best use cruise control. You're right, though, that it's just about as easy for you to try it than it will be for me to type the answers!

I try to use cruise control ANY time I can. That means above 25 MPH. I try to minimize my city acceleration and deceleration, by anticipating stoplight changes, traffic flow, etc.

I usually accelerate with the gas pedal, although 'Resume' works perfectly fine. Between 25-42 MPH or so (depending on even the slightest of hills), you will get the best use of EV mode with cruise control on.

When you use the 'Cancel' feature (pull the stalk toward you), the 'Resume' will take you back to your pre-cancel speed.

The 'Cancel' and 'Resume' features make it simple to cancel cruise control as you approach the crest of a hill, then resume once you reach the crest. I will probably be the first on this site to wear out my cruise control magic wand (stalk) from overuse.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:16 AM
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse

I had a Jetta. I averaged 23 mpg with a considerable amount of highway driving and long drives. In your situation, you'd probably get in the high teens... what did you get with your previous car? Or did you not measure it?

Acceleration is by far the biggest killer of mileage. A short commute, or frequent start/stops (stop signs, lights, and traffic), makes fuel economy plummet. This is true for all cars, though of course hybrids are famously a bit more tolerant of this. But you can't actually get "good" mileage in this situation unless you buy the lightest car you can find. The TCH is pretty heavy.