Buyer's Remorse

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Too Smug
Default Re: Buyer's Remorse

You'll be fine once May rolls around. I've had my TCH for amost all four seasons (12,000 mi) and generally averaged 37 - 38 mpg in the warmer months and 32 - 33 mpg in the cold (I live in NJ). I am very satisfied with the results from the hybrid vs. my wife's conventionally-powered Subaru. Give it some time.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Sallyspal, I like your avatar. I thought about using one where he's taking a big sniff but I'm too lazy to get a picture of it.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Enthusiast

I have found that learning to drive a hybrid is more of an art than a science. When I first bought my Prius 9 months ago, I could barely break 40 mpg. I began, however, paying more attention to the mileage I was getting. In time, on my own, I cracked 50 mpg. It's totally changed my driving habits. I went from a speeding, mildly road raging driver to a mild, patient driver trying to maximize mileage. I just bought a Camry hybrid & was shocked to see that immediately I was getting 38-39 mpg on the brand new car. This was on a 200 mile trip from the dealer to home on mixed terrain (for Indiana). Give yourself time. Your mileage will improve.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bsteele
I have found that learning to drive a hybrid is more of an art than a science. When I first bought my Prius 9 months ago, I could barely break 40 mpg. I began, however, paying more attention to the mileage I was getting. In time, on my own, I cracked 50 mpg. It's totally changed my driving habits. I went from a speeding, mildly road raging driver to a mild, patient driver trying to maximize mileage. I just bought a Camry hybrid & was shocked to see that immediately I was getting 38-39 mpg on the brand new car. This was on a 200 mile trip from the dealer to home on mixed terrain (for Indiana). Give yourself time. Your mileage will improve.
This is very much my story of six years with a Honda Insight: 2 years of going 10 over the limit, another two years of going at about the limit, hypermiling going the limit to as much as 10 under.

Anyone that uses a software package eventually gets to know the obscure secrets for advantage. It's the same with hybrids as a lot of software is part of the vehicle.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Active Enthusiast

I have a buddy with a Jetta diesel, when I mentioned I had ordered a TCH he he made a joke that his VW gave better mileage. I aked him had he ever really checked he said "no but that's what VW rated it at and besides it was a lot better than his Pontiac Montana". He checked his mileage over the next week and was surprised that it was not as efficient as he thought. His remark "Geez what is the Montana doing!"
I took delivery of mine Wednesday evening it was filled by the dealership and I'm assuming to the top of the tank. I drove 618 kilometres between then and now (Friday evening). I filled it on the way home because tomorrow I am doing a 550 kilometre trip. It took 39 litres which according to this site
works out to 6.31 litres per 100 kilometres or 44.78 miles per imperial gallon or if my math is correct 37.5 miles per US gallon.

Obviously I am still getting used to the car, it is still new and tight and we do not know just how full the car was. So far I am happy as I believe both the car and I will improve.
Apart from anything else I'm just happy to be back in Toyota country.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:46 PM
Enthusiast

Sabrina,

You and I are in the same boat, namely we both have short hilly commutes (mine is around 15mi). Though I stopped updating the MPG database on this site some time ago, my current mileage is in the 27-29 MPG range.

I have followed every advice here to little avail. Break-in didn't help. Cooler temps didn't help. 40psi tires didn't help. In fact, only two things really seem to affect my car's MPG. One was when I changed from synthetic engine oil to regular oil (courtesy the Toyota factory service plan that doesn't cover synthetic!).. that cost me two MPG. The other is running the air conditioner which costs another 3+ MPG.

I tried selling my TCH but having leased it last July when there was a waiting list for the car, I'm totally upside down in the lease and will now have to live with it, taking comfort in the fact that it's not contributing much to global warming.

p.s. One poster here was correct that any car you take on such a short/hilly commute will see sub-EPA City mileage. My previous car, a V8 MBZ E420, got 14-15 MPG on my commute yet was rated 18/25 by the EPA. And no, there's nothing wrong with my TCH.. I can easily get 40+ MPG on the highway.

Last edited by nathanso; 04-26-2007 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nathanso
Sabrina,

You and I are in the same boat, namely we both have short hilly commutes (mine is around 15mi). Though I stopped updating the MPG database on this site some time ago, my current mileage is in the 27-29 MPG range.

I have followed every advice here to little avail. Break-in didn't help. Cooler temps didn't help. 40psi tires didn't help. In fact, only two things really seem to affect my car's MPG. One was when I changed from synthetic engine oil to regular oil (courtesy the Toyota factory service plan that doesn't cover synthetic!).. that cost me two MPG. The other is running the air conditioner which costs another 3+ MPG.

I tried selling my TCH but having leased it last July when there was a waiting list for the car, I'm totally upside down in the lease and will now have to live with it, taking comfort in the fact that it's not contributing much to global warming.

p.s. One poster here was correct that any car you take on such a short/hilly commute will see sub-EPA City mileage. My previous car, a V8 MBZ E420, got 14-15 MPG on my commute yet was rated 18/25 by the EPA. And no, there's nothing wrong with my TCH.. I can easily get 40+ MPG on the highway.
What's the real complaint? I mean, wouldn't you get horrible MPG no matter what the car in your situation? I have a very short commute, about 4 miles, mostly flat with some hills all city and I averaging 32-33 mpg. This is double what my Ford Ranger got and I am more than pleased.

I'm just trying to understand (not attacking) because, like everyone else, I constantly evaluate my purchases (especially ones of this magnitude).

Old 04-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
What's the real complaint? I mean, wouldn't you get horrible MPG no matter what the car in your situation? I have a very short commute, about 4 miles, mostly flat with some hills all city and I averaging 32-33 mpg. This is double what my Ford Ranger got and I am more than pleased.

I'm just trying to understand (not attacking) because, like everyone else, I constantly evaluate my purchases (especially ones of this magnitude).
Well, I have numerous gripes about the car, namely all its squeaks and rattles (I've had my center console fixed at the dealer.. twice now), its mushy dive-prone suspension, and its screwball climate control system ("Didn't I turn ECO mode on?").

Re the MPG, it's the extent of this car's under-performing the EPA City rating that's so disappointing.. 37% below rated. Even my big Benz was only 20% below rated City MPG.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Buyer's Remorse

Two city driving suggestions that pay big dividends in fuel economy:

When I first got my car, I made the mistake of trying to be a 'granny' about driving it to get the best economy. But due to my slow acceleration, I wouldn't get to my cruising speed fast enough, and ended up running the ICE (internal combustion engine) far longer than needed.

The best cure I know for poor city mileage is… your TCH's cruise control. Many people never learn to use the cruise control in city conditions. Especially in the city your foot cannot begin to modulate the gas pedal for optimal economy. When you start to use the steering column stalk to 'resume,' 'accelerate,' and 'cancel' your speeds of 35-40 MPH ideally, you WILL find tremendous and unexpected gains. My finger is lightning-fast now and I seldom use my foot to drive anymore.

So, try to accelerate at a pace comparable to your pre-hybrid days, and then hit 'cruise' at your first opportunity. Then drive in such a way that you can maximize your TCHs cruising time.

Old habits can be hard to break. Driving a TCH most economically is counter-intuitive to ordinary driving techniques, yet will make you a happy driver once they become second nature.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

What am I doing wrong? I've had my TCH since October. I get at least 34 mpg. If I'm careful I can get as high as 41 on some trips. My center console won't rattle and the radio/cd sounds better than the Bose unit in my old Maxima. My Garmin works great in this car, I paid $400 less than MSRP when the TCH was in very short supply and some dealers were asking as much as $3500 over MSRP, plus I got my full $2600 back from Uncle Sam. The ride is more like my Avalon than the old Maxima but I had no trouble taking curves much faster than the guy following me through the Smokies last week. VSC really works. I'd buy another TCH if I could figure out how to drive them both at the same time. Perfect car? Nope. But a lot of car for the money.

Quick Reply: Buyer's Remorse

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands