BT phone was silent

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 AM
Pragmatist
Default Re: BT phone was silent

I rebooted the car and it worked properly.
Though I fully understand, it just seems to me that something is basically wrong when we have to "reboot" a car.

BTW -- Does anyone know what operating system it runs? I sure hope it's not Windows. I don't ever want to have to reinstall the OS on this beast.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:39 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
Though I fully understand, it just seems to me that something is basically wrong when we have to "reboot" a car.

BTW -- Does anyone know what operating system it runs? I sure hope it's not Windows. I don't ever want to have to reinstall the OS on this beast.
My guess is probably a custom imbedded system of some sort. My guess is each ECU has it's own OS which may vary from ECU to ECU.
They also may or may not be Intel chips (more likely PowerPC or custom) so definitely NOT Windows. Thank god.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
FWIW...I tried to replicate it, but couldn't.
I'm sorry it didn't explain your problem...it still consistently works the way I described for me. I have no idea if it's some subtle variance in similarly manufactured components or different options...I have all options with the significant exception of Nav.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by dkaiser
I'm sorry it didn't explain your problem...it still consistently works the way I described for me. I have no idea if it's some subtle variance in similarly manufactured components or different options...I have all options with the significant exception of Nav.
I like the theory of a conflict between Bluetooth handshaking being interrupted by the "in motion" sensing that disables certain BT features while the car is moving.
If the BT connection is incomplete when the car starts moving the BT connection fails.
I may see this on the NAV version when the popdown message says "BT Connection Failed" but then it retries and about 30 seconds later I get the "BT Connection Successfull" popdown message.
If I wasn't so lazy I'd some more experimentation ...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:28 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The non-NAV radio isn't connected to either the speed signal or the CAN bus. So it doesn't know when the car is actually moving.

Stan

Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
The non-NAV radio isn't connected to either the speed signal or the CAN bus. So it doesn't know when the car is actually moving.

Stan
I'm not surprised the non-NAV radio isn't connected to the speed signal; but I do suspect there is some type of interference that prevents the BT handshaking from completing when the car is very rapidly put into gear/moved (i.e before the handshaking completes)

Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
Enthusiast

FWIW, I've had BT in my BMW for almost 3 years and about once a month it didn't connect. Sometimes "re-booting" the phone (AT&T RAZR, Verizon RAZR, BB8820) would do the trick, sometimes "re-booting" the car.
On my TCH (2009), 17 days old, I start the car and pretty much immediately put it in gear and so far no issues with BT connectivity (BB 8820), I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast

The phone silent mode is connected to the problem of not having sound from the FM-AM-CD (which comes back if you cycle through them again.) There's no way to get sound from the speakers for BT unless you turn the car of and re-start. This can be annoying (and a safety hazard) if your commute is long.

Toyota's answer is to replace the radio. I've had mine replaced once and it didn't fix the problem. My fix is to pick a mode (FM1-FM2-AM etc) and stick with it for the entire ride.

You'll notice that in the phone silent mode, people on the other end of the phone can still hear you, but you can't hear them. This is because when the head unit under the passenger seat thinks it detects a short, it stops sending signals to the speakers. If anyone has any luck with Toyota fixing this problem, let us all know.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure if I understand what you are saying. Does this mean that if you turn off the car when the audio system is off, when you reboot, er, turn on the car, the BT wont broadcast?

Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoachimZ
FWIW, I've had BT in my BMW for almost 3 years and about once a month it didn't connect. Sometimes "re-booting" the phone (AT&T RAZR, Verizon RAZR, BB8820) would do the trick, sometimes "re-booting" the car.
On my TCH (2009), 17 days old, I start the car and pretty much immediately put it in gear and so far no issues with BT connectivity (BB 8820), I'll keep my fingers crossed.
I have had the TCH for 18 months and it has "not connected" with my Motorola Q about 10 times. As with your BMW, sometimes I needed to "restart" the phone, sometimes I needed to "restart" the car. I usually try the phone first and if that doesn't work, I stop and restart the car at a light. Restarting both of them always fixes it.