Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Brake lights - excessive pedal travel needed?

After reading this post I assumed I had the same problem. I tested it tonight.
My brake light goes on at even the slightest tap of the brake.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Thanks to Stan for posting the link to the other thread. I think I will mention this on my next oil change visit to the dealer and see if they can adjust it.

I read through the relevant parts of the service manual, and they explain how to check the switch, and tell you to adjust it if the rod protrusion isn't in spec, but they don't say HOW to adjust it. Plus you have to remove a large portion of the Instrument Panel to get to it!

Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

spiff72 — Further to my Post #8 above, go back to my Post #37 in the thread "Cruise Control - Complaints Filed." I have just added a third document (BR-18to20) giving the adjustment procedures for the brake light switch, as well as for other components of the brake pedal system. This may help you.

ag4ever — The newly posted document BR-18to20 shows that there's a brake pedal stroke sensor that might need adjustment in your case. The ECU uses the stroke sensor output and other information to determine just how much total braking force you want applied, and then apportions this between regenerative braking applied by MG2 and friction braking applied at the wheels. There is minor regenerative braking while the car is coasting with your foot off both the accelerator and brake pedals. The regerative braking is increased beyond this small amount dependent upon how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal. As far as I know, the stoplight plays no role in this.

Stan

Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

The Prius, or at least MY '04 Prius would do regenerative braking without even depressing the pedal. It was like clockwork. Remove foot from the accelerator and speed would decrease exactly 1 mph/sec. Even downhill. Coast for 10 seconds and your speed would decrease 10 mph. 20 seconds and you've lost 20 mph but that went into the battery via regeneration. The brake light would NOT be on during this decelleration but never caused a problem with cars following. 1 mph/sec is not a big change. It was a little weird seeing your speed decrease even while going downhill though. Even moderate downhill grades. It didn't seem to make much difference.
I, personally, liked it but I can see some who might not. I suspect Toyota opted to change the way regenerative braking works on the TCH. It certainly works differently than my Prius did. It also makes it easier when I swap between my TCH and XLE-V6.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Dazed and Confused

Originally Posted by SPL
spiff72 — Further to my Post #8 above, go back to my Post #37 in the thread "Cruise Control - Complaints Filed." I have just added a third document (BR-18to20) giving the adjustment procedures for the brake light switch, as well as for other components of the brake pedal system. This may help you.

ag4ever — The newly posted document BR-18to20 shows that there's a brake pedal stroke sensor that might need adjustment in your case. The ECU uses the stroke sensor output and other information to determine just how much total braking force you want applied, and then apportions this between regenerative braking applied by MG2 and friction braking applied at the wheels. There is minor regenerative braking while the car is coasting with your foot off both the accelerator and brake pedals. The regerative braking is increased beyond this small amount dependent upon how much pressure you apply to the brake pedal. As far as I know, the stoplight plays no role in this.

Stan
I know it could be adjusted better, but it is such a small issue, I would just rather not have the dealer fuss with it possibly making it worse, or worse yet, cause other issues like squeeking components that had to be removed for better access that might not be reinstalled as good as they were originally. If it gets worse, I might have them fuss with it, but right now, I will just enjoy my extra braking without brakelights.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I tested the brake light issue this morning and didn't have to push it very far to get the brake light to come on. I will say it took a "little" more effort compared to my other cars but it's nothing that concerns me.

I love the car.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM
Dazed and Confused

I forgot to add that I would rather a misalligned switch than the brakes on our previous vehicle. It was a land Rover Discovery Series II. You had to push the pedel half way to the floor before it would start slowing down. Then you had to push it all the way to the floor to get it to really stop. That was the mushyist pedel I have ever felt. The only thime it was not really mussy is when you hit it in a panic stop situation, and then it would not stop any faster it would just have a firmer pedel until the fluid caught up with what you wanted to do, then slowly get mushy again. I really love the firm pedel in the camry.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:11 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I forgot to add that I would rather a misalligned switch than the brakes on our previous vehicle. It was a land Rover Discovery Series II. You had to push the pedel half way to the floor before it would start slowing down. Then you had to push it all the way to the floor to get it to really stop. That was the mushyist pedel I have ever felt. The only thime it was not really mussy is when you hit it in a panic stop situation, and then it would not stop any faster it would just have a firmer pedel until the fluid caught up with what you wanted to do, then slowly get mushy again. I really love the firm pedel in the camry.
It's funny you say this. Our 98 civic had a horrible brake pedal feel. When we got our 06 CRV I couldn't believe how nice the brake pedal felt. After driving the Camry for a week I got back into the CRV and I couldn't believe how much better the Camry brake pedal felt compared to the CRV