Block Heater Quit Working ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Block Heater Quit Working ...

Checked the ohms, but not sure how to read my meter. With the gauge set at RX1 and pin to pin I get a little under 60 and with the gauge set at RX10 I get ~14. Like I said, not sure how to read my instrument as it has many settings to include AC and DC readings. I had to bare the wires behind the plug in order to get these readings. Didn't get any ohms when taking a reading from either pin to the ground. Is that normal or did I do something wrong or perhaps my heating unit is bad?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

You should got a low resistance reading just by going across the plug end. You should not get any reading from each side of the plug to the center ground prong.

When you touch the meters leads together on Rx1, it should show a zero or near 0 reading.

When measuring from each plug side to ground you need to go up to Rx1000 or higher if the meter offers it.

Could be you didn't get a good probe connection on the plug end thus no reading. I had to use the points on mine a while back to get a good resistance reading from the block heater.

I buy the heavy duty (yellow) plugs from walmart. Their about half the price as those at Lowe's home improvement. Tom, you might consider changing the plug to a new one. Who knows it might fix your Blk Htr problem.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-21-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Update. Changed the plug end and all is well. Think that pushing and pulling the original plug through the louvers on the grill must have weekend one of the wires causing it to get hot and melt the rubber. I now have to open the hood to get to the plug end as the replacement was too large to push through the louvers -- but guess that is okay as another way to remind you that you have the car plugged in. Not a problem leaving the hood partially open as I park in a garage. Thanks to all for your help ....

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Glad you got the block heater working again. When I first installed my block heater wiring, I took the easy route and bought it out above the radiator. The hood opening and closing seems to work ok for the last 2 1/2 years to connect to the plug.

Your now working block heater will come in handy with Colorado's upcoming 19 degree weather for Friday. New Mexico is included Saturday as snow is predicated for most of state.

Reminds me of some winters when a huge snow and ice blizzard would move into Dallas. Going to work was like demolition derby and another reason we moved here to a small city in NM.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-28-2010 at 09:05 PM.