Bells in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast
Default Bells in the trunk?

OK I know this sounds weird but hear me out. We just noticed a very faint beeping sound coming from the rear of the car when turning. The radio is off and it is very faint, but it's about 5-6 chimes. It sounds muffled.We had a passenger in the back seat this past weekend and she heard it too! It doesn't happen every time we turn but we have heard it more than once. We have not tried to repeat it under different scenarios but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It's really quite strange!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Bells in the trunk?

Originally Posted by Noni
OK I know this sounds weird but hear me out. We just noticed a very faint beeping sound coming from the rear of the car when turning. The radio is off and it is very faint, but it's about 5-6 chimes. It sounds muffled.We had a passenger in the back seat this past weekend and she heard it too! It doesn't happen every time we turn but we have heard it more than once. We have not tried to repeat it under different scenarios but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? It's really quite strange!
I haven't. Maybe a toy fell behind the seats? Someone play a joke? I have heard a "mmeep mmeep" sound but it isn't like the bells. ... jeez sounds are hard to describe.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM

I found mine on the rough road between our country house and the highway. I got home and opened the trunk. I removed the layers of carpet to get to the spare tire and jack. I found the left side of the cardboard was loose and sticking above where it should be seated.

The hand fastener that holds that thick board down was not tight. I removed that cover to make sure the jack and spare was tight which it was. I carefully reseated the cover making sure the two parts of the jack were sticking up though the cover cutouts. I replaced the hand fastener and tightened it moderately. I put the two carpet covers down and now no more noise.

My noise was a very low level rubbing or slight rattling sound. On a rough road my wife and I both could barely hear it. The noise only developed a few days earlier. Could be the rough 2 miles road to the house had loosened the hold down bolt over the last 9 months of ownership.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-07-2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 AM
SPL

rburt07 — Your report makes me think of another possibility. "Bells" implies metal-on-metal contact. Under that fiberboard spare wheel cover in the trunk, my anti-theft wheel nut adapter socket is attached to the wrench by a plastic cable tie. If the adapter is badly positioned, it could knock against the wrench and make a ringing sound on bumps.

Noni — Do you have anti-theft wheel nuts? If so, check out the above.

Stan

Old 05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

I think I had this yesterday! I was at a light and it sounded like the ice cream truck was far off. Didn't think much about til I got home in my driveway and heard it again - like it was coming from the trunk. Then later the same night, my kids both heard it too! We checked everywhere for a lost toy etc but didn't find anything.

It's was like bells or chimes but from the trunk area???

Old 05-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

I'm glad someone else heard it as well It's not like metal or rattling it actually reminds me of the tones when you log off of a PC. I haven't had a chance to figure out how to reproduce it yet.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 AM
Pragmatist

I have heard bell sounds also, from time to time, in several different vehicles. If you have a good ear, and listen carefully, you can hear them in most vehicles. They are just easier to hear in very quiet vehicles. The noises are made by metal things that are moving around and banging into each other. Tire wrenches and tools are the usual source.

When you have metal things in the car, you need to make sure they are not loose enough to move around and bang against each other. Jacks and wrenches need to be fastened down so that they do not move. Each time I hear them, I look for something loose. The sound goes away after I find whatever was loose and tighten it.

(Noni, you may just need to check the messages on your cellphone.)