Backup Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Backup Sensors

I am looking for a 8 unit park pilot system.

I cannot remember where I saw it, however I am pretty sure it was an authorized toyota site.

4 sensors in the front and 4 in the rear, especially useful when parallel parking in tight spots.

Anyone have an idea of where to find them

tim

Old 06-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Park Pilot's web site

Old 06-09-2008, 05:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

I also spoke with Charles at Rostra. His number is 800-782-3379. He matched the color and then refered me to there East Coast Rep. Eddie at 203-915-0049. He then set up with an local install shop. They do not sell direct. I called my local Toyota Dealer they did not want to be bothered. The install (One Stop Car Audio, Northfield NJ) cost me abot 150.00, about 200 for the parts, the speaker / on / off / low / high swithch is installed on the kick panel. It is definately more prone to false alarms then my Sienna with a factory unit, I do not know if it has anything to do with not being the exact factory unit / or something not done correctly on the install. I called Rostra said if the bore holes are not clean, or the wiring is is not perfect, it can cause this, along with weather conditions. But well worth it.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 AM

It is definately more prone to false alarms then my Sienna with a factory unit...
I have a bit of an issue with false positives.
When you get one, do you say "oh, that's a false positive" or do you say "hmmm, is that a small child or animal, bicycle, etc."?
How often does this occur and how much confidence can you have if there are false positves?

Old 06-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

One place I seem to have false positives is in my drive way, it is on a slight incline and it seems to pick up my mail box. Similar condition at work. I would have to say the RR sensor is a bit sensitive. I checked the arrow indicator is correct. The other time I tend to get false positives is inclement weather. I know the false spots, and I do check for small childred in the vacinity befoe I get in the car, I just look all around when it goes off. False rate of about 5%.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:13 AM

I think I'm sold on the Park Pilot, unless someone can convince me that there is a better one out there.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
I had ParkPilot installed on my '07 TCH back in Dec '06.

Responses to your questions: Must have to live OR just a toy? Very nice.

Accuracy: (on my ParkPilot purchased and installed in '06) -- NMMV (newer models may vary)

There are "3 zones":
Zone 1: 3 -> 5 feet, slow beeping sound
Zone 2: 1.5 -> 3 feet, faster beeping sound
Zone 3: 0 -> 1.5 feet, continuous tone

Problems/limitations/recommendations:

I just had the ParkPilot installed, but I don't have those beeps.
When I am in reverse there is constant beeping, some slow (but not at a regular cadence), then a long one, then it cycles again. It is hard to tell what the thing is telling me. The only thing for sure is the continuous tone, but it can be confusing since during the cycling of beeps, there are a few longer beeps that seem to be (almost) continuous.
Is this normal?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
I just had the ParkPilot installed, but I don't have those beeps.
When I am in reverse there is constant beeping, some slow (but not at a regular cadence), then a long one, then it cycles again. It is hard to tell what the thing is telling me. The only thing for sure is the continuous tone, but it can be confusing since during the cycling of beeps, there are a few longer beeps that seem to be (almost) continuous.
Is this normal?
From what you describe, the sound is NOT normal. (In the 2007 version).

When I shift into reverse, I get one or two beeps, letting me know the system is working. After that, it is quiet until I approach an obstruction.

Even with false alerts, the beeps are in a steady cadence and not erratic.

Your symptoms do not seem to indicate a problem with the sensors being aimed too low and alerting the pavement. Rather, IMHO, possibly either poor connections somewhere in the system or problems with the control unit.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:08 AM

Thanks! I told the installation guy it sounded wrong, but he said it was normal.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by haroldo
Is this normal?
No. It's not normal. That sequence indicates a defective sensor, or a broken wire or poor connection. The sequence of beeps tells you which sensor is defective. Somewhere in the installation/troubleshooting literature is a table that says how to read the sequence.

Some mechanics think they can cut and splice the wires, to make it easier to install or to replace a bumper. You can't. If the wires are spliced, or even slightly damaged, the system won't work right. Avoid kinks and sharp corners, too, because that can affect the sensitivity. The extra wire can be bundled and stowed neatly, but it cannot be cut out.

Quick Reply: Backup Sensors

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands