"B" letter on shifter

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "B" letter on shifter

Originally Posted by haroldo
I've read a lot of posts and I've asked repeatedly if there are any negatives with B braking being used on a more regular basis. Other than the fractional amount of mileage possibly lost (I read a post by someone, somewhere that figured out that it shaves a little), is there any downside to using B on a more regular basis (for example, pulling up to a light 1/4 mile away).
I really don't care if my car gets 38 or 39 MPG (or even 35, for that matter).
There probably is no "good" answer to your question except for the fact that semi-continuous use of "B" mode is outside the primary design considerations.

Personally I would be tempted to go exactly the opposite and modify the vehicle to automatically shift into neutral anytime the gas pedal is fully released. Using regenerative braking to "simulate" engine compression braking during coastdown periods, artificially shortening the coasting distance, seems opposite to the FE design goals.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Adding an additional comment to the previous ones:

Shifting to "B" will disable your Cruise Control. It took me some time to figure out this was by design and not a defect with my individual car.
I suspect you might be able to re-engage CC once the shifter is in the "B" position.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

I thought I had read somewhere on this site (way back when I first got my TCH) that shifting to B actually maximizes regenerative braking. Now it looks like the consensus is that it uses zero regenerative braking. I may actually need to RTFM.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Lots of hybrid salespersons were giving that impression.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

chris_h,

The system allows you an alternative to hydraulic braking on long downhills. Regenerative braking would overcharge the traction battery in that case so it is eliminated once the battery is charged. You then have either engine braking (manual by the driver) or hydraulic via the brake pedal.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwest
I suspect you might be able to re-engage CC once the shifter is in the "B" position.
Unfortunately, as long as you're in the "B" position, CC is disabled. Luckily, the TCH CC memory retains the desired speed, so you can re-engage once you go into "D" again.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by JHSmith
Unfortunately, as long as you're in the "B" position, CC is disabled. Luckily, the TCH CC memory retains the desired speed, so you can re-engage once you go into "D" again.

The memory only works if you stay above 25mph. If you drop below that, you need to reset the desired speed.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:47 AM
SPL

I believe that, if the NiMH battery isn't "full," regenerative braking is actually increased when in 'B,' compared with 'D.' Certainly, the power flow arrow still points from the wheel to the battery in the MFD. In addition to increased regenerative braking, the ICE is also spun up to provide (lossy) engine braking. The total amount of braking is thus substantially greater in 'B' than the mild amount of regenerative braking applied when coasting in 'D.'

My TCH's CC retains its memory even when the car is braked to a stop.

Stan

Old 11-26-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by SPL

My TCH's CC retains its memory even when the car is braked to a stop.

Stan
Stan, I wonder if that is a Canada spec vs US spec, as I have owned several Toyotas in the last 15 years, and they all have exhibited that behavior... the CC loosing the pre-set speed when I brake or slow below 25mph. I can't specifically state that it will if I use B mode down to below 25mph, as I have never tried that.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
The memory only works if you stay above 25mph. If you drop below that, you need to reset the desired speed.
As Stanley wrote, the one big difference between the Prius and TCH's CC is that the TCH retains preset speed after slowing below 25 mph (even if you stop). Naturally, if DOES get erased if you turn the car off.

Quick Reply: "B" letter on shifter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands