"Auto" Headlight Sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default "Auto" Headlight Sensitivity

In Virginia, the law requires headlights to be on when your wipers are on. I suppose Daytime Running Lights count, but I have not checked. In any event, I always like to err on the side of caution and have my lights on earlier than many people. Today, almost to work in a moderate drizzle, I noticed my automatic headlights had decided to go off. I wasn't too thrilled with their "laziness".

Anyway, it still has not been determined if the headlight sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer. The various dealer-adjustable options are too poorly written to be sure. So, unless someone knows for sure, I am thinking of putting something on the sensor. Maybe some tinted cellophane?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: "Auto" Headlight Sensitivity

This might effect the auto climate control, as I believe the sensor also includes a solar sensor, which will tell the climate control to be at a higher fan speed when it senses bright sunlight. You can test this easily on a hot bright sunny day, by placing something over the sensor, like a magazine or map. Within a couple of minutes, the fan speed will drop down, remove the blocker, and the fan speed will go back up.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:15 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
...it still has not been determined if the headlight sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer. ...
It can, by the dealer. There are 4 or 5 levels of sensitivity. Some are "not recommended". I'll keep looking for the actual document and if I find it I'll post the relevant info.
J

Old 09-14-2006, 07:17 AM

CT also requires headlights when wipers are on, and I have to set the lights to On instead of Auto when it's raining. I wonder how complicated it would be to make the lights turn on automatically when the wipers are on?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Anyway, it still has not been determined if the headlight sensitivity can be adjusted by the dealer. The various dealer-adjustable options are too poorly written to be sure. So, unless someone knows for sure, I am thinking of putting something on the sensor. Maybe some tinted cellophane?

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
In some lexus models you can adjust the headlight sensitivity by turning the lens on top of the sensor. Would one of those work on TCH?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Intruding from the Prius forum, but if you leave your headlights on, don't your headlights go off when you turn off the car & open a door? They do on a Prius, and I just leave them that way all the time.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wouldn't the daytime running lights satisfy the law? I have been assuming this is the case with our Toyota Sienna...

Paul

Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by wallpad
Wouldn't the daytime running lights satisfy the law? I have been assuming this is the case with our Toyota Sienna...

Paul
The DRL lights being on satisfy the legal requirments in PA, NJ, DE for lights on in the rain. If it starts to rain I just turn my lights from "DRL off" to "Auto" and then the DRL lights are on.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:24 AM

Daytime running lights do not turn on your taillights do they? I think the taillights also have to be on, but I could be wrong about that.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:28 AM

DRL may satisfy the law, but on those really misty days, I prefer having my lights on. I want people to have every chance to see me.

Thanks for the post about linking the sensor and climate control. That is something I will have to check on.

As for the sensitivity settings, I have seen the settings in the iGuide and in other documentation. I just wasn't 100% certain it adjusted the sensitivity of coming on/going off. Someone posited elsewhere that the sensitivity settings were for the backlight brightness once the lights were ALREADY on (in Auto or On modes). I have noticed when the lights are already on that the dash lights adjust as I go under a bridge and then they revert as I come out. This doesn't seem to happen if the headlights aren't already on (though of course the headlights do come on if it is dark enough under the bridge and then go back off).

Clear as mud?

Quick Reply: "Auto" Headlight Sensitivity

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands