Asl

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Asl

I have a NAV equipped TCH and XLE-V6. The ASL is ON/OFF. The ASL indicator says the sound level is increased when I drive approx 55 mph +. Can't say I notice a whole lot of difference but then again maybe that's the way it's suppose to work.

Old 02-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
I have a NAV equipped TCH and XLE-V6. The ASL is ON/OFF. The ASL indicator says the sound level is increased when I drive approx 55 mph +. Can't say I notice a whole lot of difference but then again maybe that's the way it's suppose to work.
I also have the NAV in a Canadian Camry (Japan built) so it was dealer installed if that makes a difference. The suspicion is that is the same system as the XLE.

The ASL indicator shows an increase even at 60kph but to be honest it is not noticeable to either myself or my wife.

Last edited by Sooty; 02-21-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Summary so far:
Of the 11 distinct individuals who have provided information so far in this thread, 9 say that their ASL doesn't appear to be working, 1 reports that his definitely does work, and 1 isn't clear on the issue (rewby). The single person reporting that his does work has a Kentucky-made TCH. Of the others, I have been able to ascertain that 8 were made in Japan. I haven't been able to find country information for bmgoodman, and finbib. It begins to look as if the Japanese-made TCHs may have non-functioning ASLs. Can those with incomplete country, JBL or non-JBL, and NAV or non-NAV information please report the missing information? Thanks. We can then very likely pinpoint the origin of the cars with this problem, and which models are affected.

Stan

Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by SPL
Summary so far:
Of the 11 distinct individuals who have provided information so far in this thread, 9 say that their ASL doesn't appear to be working, 1 reports that his definitely does work, and 1 isn't clear on the issue (rewby). The single person reporting that his does work has a Kentucky-made TCH. Of the others, I have been able to ascertain that 8 were made in Japan. I haven't been able to find country information for bmgoodman, and finbib. It begins to look as if the Japanese-made TCHs may have non-functioning ASLs. Can those with incomplete country, JBL or non-JBL, and NAV or non-NAV information please report the missing information? Thanks. We can then very likely pinpoint the origin of the cars with this problem, and which models are affected.

Stan
Japanese VIN: 9639 NAV ASL ICON in the AUDIO MENU indicates level change at and above moderate speeds.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by SPL
Summary so far:
...The single person reporting that his does work has a Kentucky-made TCH. ...
Hopefully it's not one of the same individuals who says "Auto UP' works on the drivers side window.
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ht=auto+window

Last edited by schmidtj; 02-21-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:51 AM

Japan built, NAV, JBL, I think I have seen the ASL bar graph up a notch or 2, but can't discern any change in volume at all. However, I rarely have the audio screen showing...more info, I always use my iPod..don't know if that makes any difference, Stan.

I will try to remember to have a look at it the next time I am out on the highway, and report back here.

For what it's worth, my Br-in-Law has a company vehicle Chevy Colorado and I can tell a definate difference when he uses Chevy's equivalent to Toyota's ASL. Another point, just to confirm that I can tell the difference, I rented a Chevy Malibu a year or so ago, and I noticed the ASL working in that vehicle also.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I never really knew if ASL was working in my RX 330, but it was very noticeable in my xB. I can't really tell with the Camry, but it's noticeably quieter than the xB and the RX 330.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

I've been very curious about this for a very long time now. I have the Japan-made TCH # 19,692 and my friend has an LE. I notice the difference in his almost immediately, but don't notice it in mine. I don't think ASL works and it says it is on (check it all the time). We need to file a complaint ASAP!!!!

Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

My Kentucky/USA manufactured low VIN (2544) '07 Camry XLE-V6 w/NAV has ASL and it functions identically to my Japanese manufactured Camry Hybrid.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:03 AM
SPL

Dear All:
I have passed all this information on to a JBL colleague of mine at Harman-Becker Automotive in Martinsville, IN. He is investigating. I don't think that we should do anything further until I have heard back from him as to the result of his investigation. I'll keep you informed.

Stan

Quick Reply: Asl

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands