Anyone purchasing TCH under C4C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone purchasing TCH under C4C?

Hi all, just discovered this group while doing my research for a new TCH.

With the Cash for Clunkers program, it seems like a good time to trade up to a hybrid.

I was wondering if there are others out there that are purchasing TCH now and what pricing are you seeing.

I know there's a $1500 factory rebate on TCH 2009 going on and nothing for the TCH 2010.

I read in some older posts (about a year ago) about what the final price should be and it seemed to suggest that for the last year model (2009 in this case) should be able to get $4000 below MSRP and for the new model 2010 be able to get $3000 MSRP.

However, given the whole C4C program all inventories are pretty drained and I'm finding little or no bargaining power -- essentially right now it's take it or leave it and if you want C4C you need to get in now before the govt money is all gone.

I've tried getting several quotes via the internet and also going through auto buying programs such as Costco and ZAG (AMEX and AAA) but given that most dealers only have few (2-5) TCH left on the lot and knowing that C4C is ticking, Dealers seem to be in the power position this round.

Of course, there will be a big whiplash later where they clean out the inventory and then replace it but once C4C runs out the demand will start to wan and going into the holiday season expect to see better deals... however doubtful if I be able to get my clunker trade-in as high as the $4500 that's coming from the govt.

I'm located in SoCal, and anyone's current experience buying a TCH during C4C would be much appreciated and how much below MSRP (if any) were you able to get.

It seems with C4C, people that SHOULD be negotiating aren't really thus driving the market price above what it normally would be, but then again it's just supply and demand at work ....

Thanks so much!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone purchasing TCH under C4C?

I would think of the 2009 as a year old model. Heavy depreciation that first year. You drive it a bit and you are now in a used car worth lots less. Not so with the 2010 and you may find the color you want or even order one. Once the deal is signed I would think the cash for clunkers would go into effect right then.

The 2009 should be easy to negotiate with it being a year old model although it is a new car. The 2010 may be rough getting them down on their price. I'm thinking the 2009 and 2010 TCH came out in May or June.

Your shopping using the internet and other sources is a good idea. I usually deal only with the sales manager. He determines the final cost. I don't like young salesmen having to 'take' my quote to the manager which can go on for hours. They love wearing down a customer so he will sign in their favor.

Be firm and stick with your appropriate price. Be ready to walk out and that usually gets their attention. I used to go to the dealers lot on Sundays when they are usually closed. Check out the hybrids and write down the extras and codes. Then you can use Edmunds or (kbb) blue book to figure a dealer price. Don't forget the dealers hold back fee is about $600. (2%?) They can sell you a new car at invoice and they still make a profit. If the car has set on the lot a month then that fee is about $300 and even less the third month. The hold back fee is a factory incentive for the sales people. The hold back idea is for the salesman to push new cars the first month they receive them.

Your best buying time is usually on a Friday evening a hour or so before they close. The last few days in the month is also a good time to buy. They will work for a better price to make their monthly quota. You might check on the cash for clunkers even if you sign the papers and order a 2010 from the factory.

They are other guys here in the forms that know better ways to buy cars, but this so far has worked for me. Typical low profits back in 2007 was $800 over invoice. End of the year, $400 over on a new 2002 Corolla. I'm sure they want $1000 over so try to think ahead.

Some catch you off guard using a percentage over invoice. That's fine, I took along a list of percentage over invoice prices. That made it quicker to deal with the sales manager. This seemed to catch him by surprise. I like to order my cars anyway. My 2007 TCH took about a month and a half to be built in the Kentucky plant.

I warned the manager at the time that I wanted michelin tires on my car and nothing else. He sweated when I asked him about the tires the day we went to pick up the car. He walked out with me and my wife and was relieved to see it came with the michelin oem energy tires. He did have a TCH demonstrator and he could have used those tires but luckily he didn't have too.

One last thing. Those internet dealers are probably ok and can sell for about $600 over invoice. If one gives you a good quote or it's to where you call the dealer be sure to deal with the internet manager. They can usually cut a deal better than the new car manager. Most do tack on an advertising fee $125 and document fee that should be $100 or slightly less. A drive out price quote is your best bet, especially if you can do that with two different dealers.

The prices above are mostly from 2007.

You will love the Camry hybrid. Keep us informed on how the purchase works out for you.

Last edited by rburt07; 08-18-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have an elderly relative wanting to get a 2009 Camry LE with leather seats under the C4C program. I cannot imagine there will be many of those available anywhere. Any suggestions on how best to look for such a thing? (Not trying to hijack the thread, but since it's another person looking for a 2009 under C4C, I thought it should go here.)

Old 08-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
The 2009 should be easy to negotiate with it being a year old model although it is a new car. The 2010 may be rough getting them down on their price. I'm thinking the 2009 and 2010 TCH came out in May or June.

They are other guys here in the forms that know better ways to buy cars, but this so far has worked for me. Typical low profits back in 2007 was $800 over invoice. End of the year, $400 over on a new 2002 Corolla. I'm sure they want $1000 over so try to think ahead.
Right on the money! So getting various quotes on 2010 Camry Hybrid and through the AmEx/ZAG Auto Club (they outsource w/ AutoNationDirect) I was able to get a quote for little over $1K above invoice (had another Internet Manager Dealer quote the same package for ~$850 higher) . Given inventory is very scarce for the 2010 Camry Hybrid (live in SoCal so they are popular) seems like a pretty good price, not sure how much closer I can get to invoice (or even below), especially with so many people buying with C4C going on.

Probably, if I wait till Nov when inventory increases might be able to get a little bit better but then of course will miss out on the C4C $4500.

So keeping that as my current reference baseline, still on a lookout for a 2009 TCH since there's a $1500 rebate and since it's last year model, maybe more negotiation. Funny I had one dealer that quoted prices for a 2009 that was HIGHER than the 2010 (similar options) - granted it was before the rebate. Even factoring the rebate, for about $1K makes sense to get the current model year.

I did an inventory search in over 20 SoCal dealerships (even ones down to San Diego -- I'm in LA, just to get price comparison) so let's see what other quotes I get for 2009 and 2010 TCH.

2009 inventory is pretty low now (same with 2010), and seems this last weekend was very busy so even the inventory online is not correct <sigh>.... I ask for a quote and the manager responds sorry we just sold that one on Sunday .

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I have an elderly relative wanting to get a 2009 Camry LE with leather seats under the C4C program. I cannot imagine there will be many of those available anywhere. Any suggestions on how best to look for such a thing? (Not trying to hijack the thread, but since it's another person looking for a 2009 under C4C, I thought it should go here.)
No hijacking, I think sharing all our findings is great. Knowledge is power.

There's actually a bunch of 2009 laying around that's why there's factory incentives on the 2009 models to clear them out. You can use cars.com to do a search.

For the most simple and stress-free experience I would recommend going through a buying club AmEx/AAA which all use ZAG just do a search on AmEx auto buying club and fill out what you want. Alternatively, you can also use Costco although they seem to be direct referral to dealerships and then need to ask them for the Costco price.

AmEx got redirected to AutoNationDirect where we worked through an agent, he asked what we wanted and then he went off getting quotes. All very transparent and nothing shady, gave us a total final price (including what the taxes and fees would be) w/ all the option packages listed, the MSRP, and the quote.

Also if you're doing C4C, they will also handle all the paper work and forward to the dealer -- what could be easier!?

So you may not get the most rock-bottom price if you haggled on your own... but the amount you save on stress and headaches is priceless.

We got stuck last weekend trying to close a deal and got a clueless lot sales rep (junior sales) that didn't know all the requirements of C4C. C4C, being a govt program, is very strict you need exactly 1 year proof of insurance, 1 year of registration, and of course your title. If you're off just a day they reject, also all the names across the documents need to match too for the person making the purchase.

If you're doing C4C, definitely do your HW and get all your docs ready BEFORE you need them it will save you a lot of hassle, had to change the name on the insurance to match the title and registration (middle names were different) which involved calling up the insurance company.

C4C also allows you to order a car in the pipeline, so if you don't like what you see, you can always order and still get C4C.

So AmEx/AAA/Costco is pretty good and saves a lot of time but focused more on current year models, if you really want to see if you can get to the lowest price you should go and get Internet quotes from the Internet/Fleet Managers at various dealerships.

I used cars.com which allowed be to do a broad search of 100 miles of dealerships that had 2009 TCH in stock (well at least it showed it was in stock). I then proceeded e-mailing each one saying that I'm looking to make a purchase soon and this is what I was looking for. Since I had specific inventory I also copied the stock #/VIN of the exact vehicle I wanted to get a quote. Note: cars.com does not have inventory for all dealerships so for those you still need to go directly to their website.

This is the very comprehensive approach, if that's too much hassle you can use general quoting services such as yahoo autos and edmonds where they will send out multiple inquires to a bunch of dealers.

I actually took this a step further and scoured this board and priuschat (huge community over there) for reputable toyota dealers in my area. I figure if they aren't screwing over prius customers than they probably be also fair to camry hybrid customers too (the internet manager/fleet managers are all the same regardless what you are buying). I find that it's helpful to let them know you heard good stories about them online and this keeps them honest cause likely you'll post about your experience with others.

Now once you get a quote from one, you can start playing them against each other, although the AmEx/AAA/Costco are pretty much set but you can use them to try to get lower somewhere else .

I prefer corresponding over e-mail with the Internet Manager/Fleet Manager much better than trying to go to the dealership and having my blood pressure raise with all the antics that go on.

One thing, make sure you get the final bottom line, out of door price (incl: license, tax, and fees) this is so you are comparing apples to apples. Also make sure you get the VIN#, so what you get quoted on e-mail matches the vehicle you pick up and not part of any bait and switch shenanigans.

You can use cars.com and the dealer website to get a sense of their current inventory, in general if they have a bunch of cars they'd probably be more likely to bargain, on the other hands if they have one left of last years model they may just want to get rid of it to make room which also plays in your favor... in general they want to get rid of the 2009.

Toyota Camry Hybrid is an interesting case cause 2010 supply is very limited, so even the 2009 are "hot" which is causing some wacky pricing. Since you're looking for non-hybrid, I imagine that 2009 pricing should be really flexible.

Happy hunting and also please be sure to share your experiences too! It'd be interesting to know what type of "premium" I'm paying for a hybrid over the regular model .

Also C4C ends Nov 1st, but at this rate it will probably run out of funds much earlier.

Hopefully this is useful!

Anyone else shopping for a TCH now, what's your luck been?

Old 08-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
Try www.fitzmall.com Fixed Price. No Haggle. They are in your part of the world.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast

I just bought a 2009 Camry Hybrid on Aug 1 using C4C. Desert Sand Mica, Leather, DVD Nav, Sunroof, Heated Seats and Mirrors for 23K with my 92 Previa under C4C. I also made the dealer include a backup camera, All Season Camry Floor Mats, and a Sun Shade.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Enthusiast

hi good deal, was that included tax? Is this in Southern California?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

I live in Florida and it was before tax. However after visiting many dealers trying to find the all the options in one car I was quite happy