Any high mileage (odomoter reading) owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 04:28 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Any high mileage (odomoter reading) owners out there?

I have 33k on my 2007 TCH with no problems. My Bridgestones are getting to the wear indicators, hopefully I can get another 2-3 months out of them before the bad weather sets in. I do all of my 5k services at the dealer, and just had my 30k done recently. I changed the cabin filter and air filter myself (saved $17 on parts and $41 on labor based on my Toyota's dealership pricing). Hopefully, I can get 200k without any problems . . .

Old 07-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have 41K on my TCH so far and all is well. I've had the TSBs performed for the console squeak (the felt pads helped for about a year and the noise came back), brake noise on reverse, and Aux audio in filter.

I haven't noticed any drop in battery capacity, or any leaks, squeaks or rattles. The orginal Bridgestones are down to 5/32 on the centers and 4/32 on the edges on all four tires. I have run them at 42psi front and 40 psi rear since new. The higher tire pressure has not hurt the tire life!

I am thinking of replacing the Bridgestones with Cooper CS4 Touring tires. They use a silica compound to achieve lower rolling resistance and improved wet traction. The price is right at $72 a tire.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've got over 53,000 miles on my TCH. No problems at all, tires inflated to 36psi all around. Summer mileage this year is typical to what I got over the last 2 years @ 39-43mpg. For some reason it feels like the battery is holding its charge a little longer than it did when I got it brand new 2 yrs ago....

Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Check out this site. There are two TCH's. One with 103,000 and the other with 129,000. You will have to scroll down the page to find them. I believe they are both used as currier vehicles in Phoenix for JP Morgan Chase. All maintenance for both vehicles are listed.

http://avt.inel.gov/hev.html

Old 08-01-2008, 01:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

My 2007 has 35,000 miles and I've had no problems at all (except for the console squeak but they fixed that per the TSB).

In fact I believe I have until 36,000 miles to buy the extended warranty but having had not one single problem, would it be worth it?

Old 08-01-2008, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by GreenHawaii
In fact I believe I have until 36,000 miles to buy the extended warranty but having had not one single problem, would it be worth it?
Many, many threads on the topic, but let me summarize the concensus, if I may.
Most of the time, extended warranties are not good financial decisions. You aren't getting the warranty free, you're paying for it, and you have to assess the likelihood and the amount of the extra expenses due to mechanical failure versus your ability to fund those expenses at the time it is needed.
If you have plenty of money in the bank, you'd be best to just wait for the repair bill (if it ever comes) and pay it. If, on the other hand, you are afraid of an expense that you might not be able to afford, yet you somehow have $700-900 sitting around to gamble on future cost savings than buy it.
It's up to you, however.
Extended warranty is like a bet on the reliability of the car.
Many are fearful of the newer technology of the hybrid and will pay for the piece of mind that the warranty brings you.

I have a 96 Avalon with >185M miles. I didn't get an extended warranty. During the extended warranty period (100,000 miles and 8 years), my total out of pocket expenses were <$500. A $800 extended warranty would have been a waste, for me.
Many others will chime in and say they saved a ton of money by having it.

It's your call.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Most of the time, extended warranties are not good financial decisions. You aren't getting the warranty free, you're paying for it, and you have to assess the likelihood and the amount of the extra expenses due to mechanical failure versus your ability to fund those expenses at the time it is needed.

[snip]

Extended warranty is like a bet on the reliability of the car. Many are fearful of the newer technology of the hybrid and will pay for the piece of mind that the warranty brings you.
Adding my $.02 worth:

According to a consumer magazine featuring reports Toyota has consistently been ranked very high in reliability, so IMHO the extended warranty is probably not necessary and I'm not buying one. On the other hand, in the case of my '05 Grand Caravan, the extended warranty that I bought at time of vehicle purchase has already more than paid for itself.

While the hybrid technology is relatively new to a lot of vehicles, remember Toyota has had it in production for several years, and the hybrid components themselves are already warranted for 100,000 miles. Purchasing an extended warranty solely to insure against paying for repairs to the hybrid batter, etc., is redundant.

Call it insurance, peace of mind, a bet, whatever you want. It's a question of your comfort with risk and of estimating whether you'll pay more in the long run for repairs (in future inflated dollars) than it will cost you to buy a warranty now.

Old 08-01-2008, 02:33 PM

Went into service 8/1/06, so today is my 2year anniversary. Just crossed 51k. No major issues. Have had Toyota dealer service every 5k using 0w20. Had the TSB's performed on the brake squeek, and I resolved the center console rattle myself. I am seeing a slightly better fuel efficiency now (38mpg) then I did in the first few months (35mpg) but there are a variety of external factors that could be causing that change. The car is still as quiet as it was when I got it (no new squeaks) and the ride is still very comfortable even though I changed to TRD springs (so the shocks must still be in great condition). Still have 90% of my brakes but almost all of my miles are highway driving, so I wouldn't expect much brake wear. I'm very happy with the way the car has held up over 2 years.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

42k miles.

Maintenance:
Bridgestone tires changed at 38K for Michelin Primacys.
Squeak and rattle TSBs.
Oil changes and tire rotations.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I went over 50,000 last week. Aside from center console squeak, I have had no issues with this vehicle. It is currently number 2 on my favorite-all-around-cars-I-have-owned-list.

Number 1 was a 1994 VW Golf III that I bought with 4 miles on and sold at 196,00 seven years later. If all I do is routine maintenance on my TCH, it will ascend to my #1 spot around 150K miles. That should only take another 30 - 32 months.

Quick Reply: Any high mileage (odomoter reading) owners out there?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands