Any hacks to make Camry run more @ higher speeds on electric only?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Any hacks to make Camry run more @ higher speeds on electric only?

HotDoogity,

I understand what you are wanting is an acceleration equal to that of the ICE running at 30mpg on the gauge in EV mode. There are a couple of other programming items that need to be taken care of (IMO) by Toyota.

The first is to allow the car to enter stage 4 without a stop of 7 seconds or so. On my commute to work (if I hit the lights correctly) I can go 25 miles WITHOUT being able to enter EV mode except between 35 to 40 mph. I consider it stupid that I am forced to pull off in a parking lot and WASTE gas letting the engine idle for 7 seconds to enable the car to enter EV mode to SAVE gas.

Allow a European Prius style "EV" button to allow us to over ride the system and run for short distances in EV mode with the engine cold. This would allow LIMITED use in EV mode with the engine cold. The system would be allowed to over ride and start the ICE if the battery SOC drops below a predetermined level.

Allow a "retrofit" of a lithium pack IF they become available. This would allow for increased distance in EV mode and let an owner decide to upgrade if they desire. It would be nice if the factory would allow a "plug in" upgrade option with the new battery pack.

All of the above is wishful thinking but given the current state of the economy, SOMEONE in the major car industry should start thinking about selling optional packages that they could sell when/if the customers cannot afford a new car or wish to extend the life of their current car.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast

I understand what you are wanting is an acceleration equal to that of the ICE running at 30mpg on the gauge in EV mode. There are a couple of other programming items that need to be taken care of (IMO) by Toyota
GeorgiaHybrid,
YES! That is what want. I'm not sure what ICE is but I think that this is a minor programming issue...either software or firmware. My iPod Touch has already had 2 firmware updates. You can't tell me they couldn't improve the operation of my Camry Hybrid from it's original design with an "upgrade". It really shouldn't be a big issue for Toyota to do. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotDoogity
GeorgiaHybrid,
YES! That is what want. I'm not sure what ICE is but I think that this is a minor programming issue...either software or firmware. My iPod Touch has already had 2 firmware updates. You can't tell me they couldn't improve the operation of my Camry Hybrid from it's original design with an "upgrade". It really shouldn't be a big issue for Toyota to do. Thanks.
ICE= Internal Combustion Engine

Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
Another thing to consider - the majority of the time the ICE has to run to recharge the traction battery. If you run the traction battery low by extended runs in EV mode, the ICE has to run longer to recharge it. (Obvious exception is if there is a nice long downhill coast after your EV run!)

My experience is my MPG suffers if I try to be obsessive about keeping the TCH in EV mode. I find I get noticeably better mileage if I just accelerate normally using the ICE and reserve EV mode for coasting to lights or slow moving traffic.
During the warm summer nights I had good luck driving 2 miles in the EV mode then the ice would kick on and recharge the battery in about a mile. It seem the EV gives me by quickest mpg gain and the recharge only seem to pull the engine down by 5 mpg as I drive. The benefit is worth it but only during the warm days and nights. Like I say this works ok in the summer but not the winter. When it's cold, I find it takes lots longer for the traction battery to charge.

Nash, I did what you said on that same 8 miles of highway. I choose to cruise at 42 mph, then the ice and motor run at the same time. The battery is usually at 75/80 % charge at this point. I noticed the battery don't seem to discharge of if it does it's almost unnoticeable. I always thought of this as the hybrid mode since it's running on gas and electric at the same time.

The mpg consumption meter reads, 60 mpg. The scan gauge shows 70/75 mpg at about 1280 rpm.

With the charge still around 80%, after I turn off the main highway. Now I can still build my mpg by driving at 20 mph on the 2 miles of paved country road to home, all in the EV mode, if it's not to cold that night.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-05-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think that this is a minor programming issue...either software or firmware.
There is no such programming issue, but it is how Toyota engineers programmed.
It is very clear hypermilers don't do EV acceleration.
Please learn yourself the Pulse&Glide technique.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793

Ken@Japan

Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

There is no such programming issue, but it is how Toyota engineers programmed.
I don't mean to intimate that it is a problem, just that it would be an improvement to modify the programming a bit.

It is very clear hypermilers don't do EV acceleration.
Please learn yourself the Pulse&Glide technique.
So you are suggesting a ICE-only acceleration? If so, that seems quite useless to me. I already have cars that can only do ICE acceleration.

I am not a hypermiler, nor could I be. I believe that I understand Pulse & Glide enough to know that only those who live on perfectly level ground in warm climates can truly Pulse & Glide effectively. I do not live on level ground and I live in the midwest. That is why I would like a modification to the programming, so I can get around a bit more in EV mode.

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

All the pulse & glide information I have ever seen is for the Prius. I tried it a few times when my car was rather new. The slight acceleration to reach speed seemed to overcome any glide I could do. I gave it up in my Camry. I seem to do better with the battery up about 70% with the the car running on the ice and traction battery at the same time. I find this works best around 40 to 45 mph with cruise cont. Soft or easy acceleration even with the ice on helps a lot.

I would love to drive in the ev mode at 50 mph. The consumption meter gives me 60+ miles per gallon if I cruse at 60 on a level highway. The ev mode alone would be nice at higher speed, but 60+ is ok by me. My city driving though, brings down those nice numbers. I filled up tonight at 1/4 tank and got a 50.9 on the mfd.

Last edited by rburt07; 12-06-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I don't mean to intimate that it is a problem, just that it would be an improvement to modify the programming a bit.
Are you saying you have more experience and knowledge than Toyota engineers?
So you are suggesting a ICE-only acceleration? If so, that seems quite useless to me. I already have cars that can only do ICE acceleration.
Sure! The TCH is gas-electric hybrid vehicle, not plug-in nor EV.
The EV acceleration requires charging the battery later, then you see worse overall mileage.
I am not a hypermiler, nor could I be. I believe that I understand Pulse & Glide enough to know that only those who live on perfectly level ground in warm climates can truly Pulse & Glide effectively. I do not live on level ground and I live in the midwest. That is why I would like a modification to the programming, so I can get around a bit more in EV mode.
I believe your goal is not driving in EV mode, but your goal will be seeing better MPG number.

You're correct the Pulse & Glide is basically for a flat road.
However, it is just simulating uphill(pulse) and downhill(glide), therefore your driving environment is very good to see better fuel economy than on a flat road.
Please learn how to drive your TCH better before you complain it.
I won't write anymore on this thread, but I hope you'll learn yourself to see better results.
I'm not paying your gas bill. It's your own expense.

Regards,
Ken@Japan