Any 2013 info yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Any 2013 info yet?

Has anybody seen any information on Toyota's Camry Hybrid plans for the 2013 model year? In particular, will there be a full redesign of the body? Will there be a plug-in option?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Default Re: Any 2013 info yet?

Given 2012 was a Full model change, it's unlikely that 2013 changes will be more than colors and option packages - if that much.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm looking forward to seeing if toyota jumps up the mpg for the 2013 Camry. Ford doesn't seem to mind spreading the word their 2013 Fusion hybrid supposed to get like 49 mpg.

I'm sure part of the mpg could be brought up, when toyota switches to the Lithium battery in the Camry like Ford has already done.

I have decided not to wait for the 2013, I'm in the process of ordering the new XLE hybrid.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM

The most likely timing is for the mid-model change, likely for MY '15, if the most recent cycles are any pattern. Gen 6 was virtually unchanged for '07-09, and the '10 brought the new 2.5 motor.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM

No talk anywhere of a plug-in capability?

As for 2012 being a "full model change", is that really correct? Its looks don't seem to have changed much at all. Nothing like the difference between 2006 and 2007 models.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by bmgoodman

As for 2012 being a "full model change", is that really correct? Its looks don't seem to have changed much at all. Nothing like the difference between 2006 and 2007 models.
While the styling design language is quite similar, the changes to both the body and the chassis were substantial. The highlights include:
  1. 200-300 pound reduction in weight.
  2. Increase in body rigidity due to high-strength steel, which was also responsible for the weight reduction.
  3. Substantial refinement of the 4 cylinder engines, resulting in FE improvements. These are especially dramatic for the Hybrid version.
  4. Substantial improvement in trunk space for the TCH.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Frodo
While the styling design language is quite similar, the changes to both the body and the chassis were substantial. The highlights include:
  1. 200-300 pound reduction in weight.
  2. Increase in body rigidity due to high-strength steel, which was also responsible for the weight reduction.
  3. Substantial refinement of the 4 cylinder engines, resulting in FE improvements. These are especially dramatic for the Hybrid version.
  4. Substantial improvement in trunk space for the TCH.
Does the weight reduction allow for greater total passenger/cargo load? I think the 2007 model said 900 or 950 pounds total weight, which isn't so hard with 5 big adults.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman

If I were Toyota with their popular selling Camry, I would not change up the new body that much.

I like the idea of more passenger legroom in the back seat.

I'm more concerned with the new hybrid engine. Toyota has had the aluminum heads, block and off-set crankshaft since 2002. That was the first year for the new lifetime timing chain with the variable intake cam. The new 2012 has both, the intake and exhaust cams are variable.

I bought a 2003 Corolla that had the coil-over-plug technology. Look, no spark-plug-wires. The 4-coils sitting on top the iridium spark plugs are fired directly from the computer. This makes it possible to advance or retard each cylinder separately if needed. The 2007 though the 2012 includes the coil-over-plug feature.

A big step in reducing friction in the new 2012 hybrid engine is the addition of roller lifters. This may be part of where they got the additional horsepower, other than upping it's size from 2.4 to 2.5 liter.

As I mentioned earlier, I would not doubt Toyota using Lithium batteries for their 2013 model to match or beat the mpg of the 2013 Fusion hybrid.

Last edited by rburt07; 03-31-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Enthusiast

This article is good on the updates...

http://theliepolitic.com/2012/11/new...le-xle-hybrid/

But the likely things that Toyota will have to do to keep Ford et al from making inroads into their lead is a lithium ion battery, possibly a plug in Camry to take advantage of the tax credits (can only be done on this large a car with Lithium Ion), a faster car (again Lithium Ion), a lighter car (whoops, lithium ion), better mileage (lithium ion).

The likely step is to just improve the battery. The Lithium ions are now much cheaper, much lighter, and smaller. They also hold more power and that can be channeled to the wheels through the electric motor during acceleration providing better performance.

The new Ford C-Max easily out accelerates the Prius. My guess is Toyota answers with the new battery technology without having to change anything else significant in the car.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Rogers
This article is good on the updates...

http://theliepolitic.com/2012/11/new...le-xle-hybrid/

But the likely things that Toyota will have to do to keep Ford et al from making inroads into their lead is a lithium ion battery, possibly a plug in Camry to take advantage of the tax credits (can only be done on this large a car with Lithium Ion), a faster car (again Lithium Ion), a lighter car (whoops, lithium ion), better mileage (lithium ion).

The likely step is to just improve the battery. The Lithium ions are now much cheaper, much lighter, and smaller. They also hold more power and that can be channeled to the wheels through the electric motor during acceleration providing better performance.

The new Ford C-Max easily out accelerates the Prius. My guess is Toyota answers with the new battery technology without having to change anything else significant in the car.
Given the scope of change needed to swap in different battery technology, it's highly unlikely to happen prior to MMC, '14 at the earliest for the Camry.

Lion batteries have a completely different charge control strategy, with different control circuitry needed. This makes for major changes to the inverter, changes to control circuitry and related software changes. Related to this are different cooling and packaging needs - likely needing liquid cooling - which creates its own change complexity. Also, in order for Toyota to allow higher speeds on battery power alone, changes to gearing would also be needed, as the current electric-only limit is due to MG2 reaching its RPM limit with MG1 driving and ICE stopped.

Quick Reply: Any 2013 info yet?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands