Another recall - stick accelerators

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Along for the ride.....
Default Re: Another recall - stick accelerators

Now they have stopped sales and production of 8 models or so until they correct it.

Big time Hurt

Old 01-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

I just called my dealer service dept to ask if I could bring in my 2008 TCH and they said I have to wait for the recall letter AND the letter may not be mailed till mid-late February. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT??????

Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by seaford
I just called my dealer service dept to ask if I could bring in my 2008 TCH and they said I have to wait for the recall letter AND the letter may not be mailed till mid-late February. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT??????
I understand that you are anxious for a fix but, you need to be patient. 2.3 million is a lot of letters to send and a lot of repair parts to make. No way something of this magnitude could be done overnight.

In the mean time practice shifting into neutral just in case you need to.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

All U.S. TCH models, whether assembled in U.S. or Japan, have the Denso pedal assemblies and are NOT subject to the recall. Sales of these models continue. Most standard Camrys assembled in the U.S. (but not all) have the CTS pedal assemblies and will be recalled.

In general, Toyota products assembled in Japan have the Denso pedals, while U.S. cars and trucks (but not all) have the CTS pedals.

Last edited by lzc; 01-27-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would not at this time make the assumption that the accelerator pedal is the single causative factor....the floor mat wasn't...!!

Old 01-27-2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by wwest
I would not at this time make the assumption that the accelerator pedal is the single causative factor....the floor mat wasn't...!!
At least the pedal is a believable factor.
I'd also be interested in industry wide statistics. Toyota isn't the only car company with this problem.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
At least the pedal is a believable factor.
I'd also be interested in industry wide statistics. Toyota isn't the only car company with this problem.
"..At least the pedal is a believeable factor..."

Sorry, not for me.

If the pedal is at fault why haven't there been customer complaints of pedal sticking/binding....?? Gas pedal suddenly sticking wide open with no widespread reports of even momentary sticking/binding.

I'm not buying it.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 AM

WSJ: Toyota Close To An Accelerator Pedal Fix - Sources
DETROIT (Dow Jones)--Toyota Motor Corp. (TM, 7203.TO) is close to developing a repair for the sticking gas pedals that caused the company to halt sales on eight models this week, according to people who have been briefed on the company's actions.
Toyota is seeking approval from the National Highway Traffic Safety Association for the fix which could come in the next few days, said two people familiar with matter. If the approval is received, production could begin next week with dealers receiving the new part within the next two weeks, they said.
(This story and related background material will be available on The Wall Street Journal Web site, WSJ.com).
The company is calling the repair a "spacer" that would be inserted into the gas pedal increasing the tension in a spring helping to prevent the accelerator from sticking in position.
"We have got some options that are going to address the issue," Toyota spokesman Mike Goss said. "I can't confirm what the fix is."
Late Wednesday Toyota said the company has revised the design of the gas pedal in conjunction with its parts supplier, CTS Corp., for newly manufactured vehicles. "Pedals featuring the revised design are now in full production at CTS to support Toyota's needs," Toyota said in a statement last night. In that statement, Toyota said it is working as quickly as possible to develop effective modifications to existing pedals in vehicles on the road and in dealership lots.
Toyota on Tuesday put a hold on sales in response to growing concerns that possible defects may cause the vehicles to accelerate unintentionally, but many questions remain about the cause of the problem.
The company added 1.1 million vehicles to another recall from last year in which the floor mats could get stuck under the gas pedal, potentially causing sudden acceleration. The company announced in November a series of measures including trimming the gas pedal and installing a new brake over-ride system to solve that problem.
The "spacer" only fixes the sticky pedal issue that prompted the company's recall of 2.3 million vehicles last week.
0-

Old 01-28-2010, 08:47 AM

* Says does not know when it can rollout remedy to accelerator pedal safety issue
* Says CTS is shipping newly designed pedals to Toyota's assembly plants
* Says the new design of CTS pedals remedy for new production vehicles, has not determined solution for vehicles at dealerships or consumer-owned
* Says does not know how long production line shutdown will last at six U.S. and Canadian plants
* Says advertising and marketing campaign "currently under review" in wake of recalls