Age old question...getting better mpg's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Age old question...getting better mpg's?

I wish I hit 35....I have been in the mid to high 20s for awhile....darn cold weather.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by haroldo
Maybe driving to a gym 30 miles further from home will improve your mileage!
(that was meant to be sarcastic).
Driving 10 miles a day at 35 MPG might be better than driving 100 miles a day at 40 MPG, if the goal is to reduce the amount of fuel used.
Sure, or you could do what I do and drive 45 mpg (summer) for 15 miles instead of 38-40 mpg for 20 miles the way I did for the first year in my TCH.

I never advocated driving further to get better mileage, I suggested checking alternative options which might give better ways to improve fuel usage. My change in commutes added 15 minutes vs best highway commutes down to 0 (or better) for really bad highway traffic. So I generally lose time. However I gain in consistency of my commute (it's pretty much _always_ 45 minutes now instead of 30-50 on the highway with no way of anticipating), shorter distance and higher FE. Again, it's all in the nature of the drive and the ways you do it--some of which is choice and some of which is learning curve.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Please don't take me seriously, I only meant it as a joke.
For the record, I always take the longer route (unless I have to go)
I'm usually not in a hurry

Old 04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Enthusiast

Our best tank so far has been 39.3 in NJ, with nearly 9k miles. Trying to hit the magic *40* has been elusive thus far. We'll see once the weather warms up.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bobby Soprano
Our best tank so far has been 39.3 in NJ, with nearly 9k miles. Trying to hit the magic *40* has been elusive thus far. We'll see once the weather warms up.
I have about 2600 miles on mine and my best tank is only about 34MPG
I drive about 45 miles one way every day and it mostly highway miles, the hills are what kill my FE though...

Old 04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven77
I have about 2600 miles on mine and my best tank is only about 34MPG
I drive about 45 miles one way every day and it mostly highway miles, the hills are what kill my FE though...
Out of curiosity, do you use cruise control? And how fast do you drive? What kind of FE do you get per trip?

My experience is cruise is generally pretty good for highway driving, however it will start trying to accelerate up hills pretty fast at times which will drop the FE some, so I sometimes tap the brakes to override that seeming attempt to rocket up the slopes. You can usually almost maintain speed with some light pressure on the gas and decent FE rather than letting the cc gun it for 10mpg or something. And remember little things like warming up the car, letting it run at long traffic lights while it's still warming up, all these things eat gas and kill FE too.

Some random tips: http://green.msn.com/galleries/photo...=192&GT1=45002

And then there are all the hypermiler things too. But warm weather should help some, and hopefully learning more about what works best for you will help. Took me most of a year to figure out "full hybrid" mode or to discover my cross-country route was substantially better for FE than my highway route.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven77
the hills are what kill my FE though...
The TCH is my wife's car ... and she travels the Garden State Parkway for her commute. I've driven the car on the GSP as well many times, and the hills ARE mileage killers. I never realized just how many hills are on the Southern part of the GSP until we got this car. You can literally see all of them on the consumption screen. Up & down ... over and over.

Old 04-02-2008, 02:51 PM
Enthused Driver

Originally Posted by nicst47
With the slightly warmer temps in Rhode Island (up to 45 today), my mpg's have climbed from 34.1 to 35.5mpg. Granted my TCH has only 2995 miles on it, but I am desperately trying to get to that 40mpg mark.
I'm not sure how cold it was for you but I'm seeing a much larger range as the temps warmed from the single digits into the 30's. I went from a tank in the low 30's to 37 (calculated) with an average ambient change of about 25 degrees. I've just topped 2k miles so the breaking in period probably has something to do with that.

Good luck, I have the same goal. I'm looking forward to a consistent run of 40's and 50's.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

We have lots of hills in Colorado and high elevation to cut off the air supply and we can get 39 to 43 on the high side. The tip I didn't see mentioned so far that makes a big difference is using the ECO mode on the Heating and Cooling.
Also applying light braking in advance of a stop helps with charging the battery. I saw a post on a Prius site, the best electric generation is a 22 second stop from 45 miles/hour. That is a fairly slow stop (if traffic will allow this).

I also have a post up called “MPGs and Fuel Brands Can be Compared” that is about the differences in brands of gasoline will make a big difference in your mpgs as well. I was getting 34 MPG and change brands and now I am getting 39 to 40 consistently.
I am sure these will help!

Good Luck..

Bill

Old 04-02-2008, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by nicst47
With the slightly warmer temps in Rhode Island (up to 45 today), my mpg's have climbed from 34.1 to 35.5mpg. Granted my TCH has only 2995 miles on it, but I am desperately trying to get to that 40mpg mark. How do I do it...or better yet, how do you do it?
I do not have a lead foot and coast to red lights and stop signs. I strive for that just under 40mph Emode cruise.
You should get 2 or 2 1/2 mpg more once the engine is broke in. Starting at your first 5000 mile oil change it should start to slowly climb. You can pick up an additional 1 or 1 1/2 mpg simply by changing to the 0W-20 oil.

Walmart now carries it in the mobil one. (green cap). They offer a 0W-30, make sure to get the 0W-20 like the manual recommends.

You can also buy the toyota full synthetic at your local toyota dealer. Be sure to call first to see if they stock it.

I'm sure you already know to run 35 psi cold or higher in your tires. Sounds like you drive very similar to me. In time you will find various places where the TCH will easily go into the electric mode. I have a 8 mile trip on a local 4-lane highway where I drive home. Sometimes I can hit the EV mode up to 3 times. One place it will stay EV for 1 or 2 miles depending if the traction battery is full charged.

Quick Reply: Age old question...getting better mpg's?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands