View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on these aftermarket 17" rims?
Awesome
20.00%
Okay
52.00%
Should have kept the stock 16" ones
28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Aftermarket Rims.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 06:50 PM
AlphaGeek
Default Aftermarket Rims.....

What do my fellow TCH drivers think?
www.carspace.com/hardchemist
I'm currently selling my stock rims and tires on ebay.

Chris
Florida

Old 08-21-2006, 06:53 PM
WVGasGuy
Default Re: Aftermarket Rims.....

Thanks for the pics! I sort of want a set of 5 spokes but I like the style that get wider as they go out towards the tires. With my titanium I wouldn't mind having chrome as well.

I currently have a set of Nissan Chrome wheels off on my 350Z that I think would fit but I hate to buy tires unless I was sure (Yes I would put Nissan wheels on my Toyota if the fit)

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 08-21-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What wheel and tire combo did you use? Is it a lot different in diameter from stock?

Maybe your speedo actually reads correctly now!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:04 PM
AlphaGeek

I went to discounttiredirect.com and pretended that I drove an '07 Camry SE (which has 17" stock rims) and these came up as not being any different in size.

Also one of the slides at my carspace site has the exact make, model and size rim/tire that I received.

I'm still a tiny bit annoyed that Toyota didn't want to let me swap out for the SE rims. But in retrospect, the Voxx rims you see pictured have a very healthy offset between rubber and chrome - so you can dang near ride up on a curb and not scratch the metal! And we all know how nice that is......

Old 08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
WVGasGuy

I hate to admit I can't remember, but if our OEM tires are 216/65R16's and you're off 3 mph (low) at 60 mph then going to 215/70R16's will get you 2 mph closer and thus more accurate readings on the odo and milage gage. (215/65R17's will pick up 2.5mph at 60 / 215/60R18's will pick up 2.8 mph)

All these combinations should get the TCH closer to accurate at 60 mph

Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hardchemist
I went to discounttiredirect.com and pretended that I drove an '07 Camry SE (which has 17" stock rims) and these came up as not being any different in size.

Also one of the slides at my carspace site has the exact make, model and size rim/tire that I received.

I'm still a tiny bit annoyed that Toyota didn't want to let me swap out for the SE rims. But in retrospect, the Voxx rims you see pictured have a very healthy offset between rubber and chrome - so you can dang near ride up on a curb and not scratch the metal! And we all know how nice that is......
I just noticed that in your pictures (the size info). Thanks.

And don't tell my wife I shared this, but the first time she drove my TCH, she DID ride up a curb and put a gouge on the outside of my rim. It was her first time driving on public roads since she had gotten her cast off her leg. She felt pretty bad, so I haven't mentioned it again. It was my car's first "scratch/ding" - and was later followed by a "Bambi-strike" when I was driving. Hopefully this will be all the damage I ever see on the car!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:11 PM
WVGasGuy

Did the TPMS fit well with the new wheels? No slow leaks?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:23 PM
AlphaGeek

Crap. So I'm actually going 2MPH below what the speedo is reading? 'Cause lately I've been driving what I think is exactly the speed limit...Oh well, at least the car is creeping up in gas mileage. And now that I just received my tag that says "40 MPG" I'll continue going easy on the gas pedal! LOL, jeez I must be getting old.

Also I just checked the air pressure - and it seems to have lost 1 pound over the past 2 weeks. Possibly statistical noise 'cause it's about 10 degrees cooler outside now vs. what it was when I put the air in.

So basically no issues with the rims, tires, air pressure. The handling seems like it's a bit tighter and steering is more responsive than with the 16" rims. Gas mileage has only crept up as the car gets broken in, and I become better and better at driving this beast. If I stay off the 70MPH Turnpike and on the country roads/non-traffic jam city I can get mid-40s out of this car!

Fortunately my highway mileage is slowly creeping up as the car breaks in. First couple tanks I couldn't get past 36MPG. Now I'm just shy of 40MPG every day on the way to and from work!

Also seems like when it's really really hot the MPG suffers. I can't wait until our FL winter, when I should get low 40s MPG on a regular basis. So then my "40 MPG" tag will really mean my average economy!

Last edited by hardchemist; 08-21-2006 at 07:27 PM. Reason: MPG vs. MPH error
Old 08-21-2006, 07:24 PM
AlphaGeek

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Did the TPMS fit well with the new wheels? No slow leaks?
Oh yes, the TPMS are built into the valve stems, and they are a bit larger than stock valve stems - and there is no "fit" issue with the aftermarket rims.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:51 PM
WVGasGuy

And now that I just received my tag that says "40 MPG" I'll continue going easy on the gas pedal!

That's putting a lot of pressure on yourself. I'm striving towards 39 but I don't want to get a plate with that on it as from all I can read I'll see a 15% loss in FE this winter. If that relates to 33 mpg then I'll be driving the 4Runner when it's cold.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Rims.....

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands