After 22 months, battery is toast

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 01:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: After 22 months, battery is toast

Your probably right. In the sleep mode like when the fob is motionless overnight at home.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Active Enthusiast

I don't think there is any location in my house that meets this.

Originally Posted by haroldo
According to the manual
Keep key more than 3 feet from a:
  • TV
  • Personal Computer
  • Cellular phone or cordless phone recharger unit
  • Electric light stand
  • Fluorescent desk light

Old 04-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rburt07
If your car is new, you shouldl see a miles per gallon increase after your first 5000 mile oil change. You can get a extra.......
(1 mpg) gain by changing to the 0W-20 full synthetic oil.
I hope so!
Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
22 months is pretty darn good for the FOB battery. I would expect that it would last at least a year but that's almost 2 years.
In comparison, my Sienna is going to be 5 yrs old next month, and both (conventional) fobs are still on the original battery. I went by the dealer to get the battery replaced since I figured these fobs are expensive and I didn't want to be responsible for wrecking it trying to pop it open. They didn't have any on hand. They have never seen a battery in one of these fobs go dead before...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Droid13
In comparison, my Sienna is going to be 5 yrs old next month, and both (conventional) fobs are still on the original battery. I went by the dealer to get the battery replaced since I figured these fobs are expensive and I didn't want to be responsible for wrecking it trying to pop it open. They didn't have any on hand. They have never seen a battery in one of these fobs go dead before...
It sounds like your Sienna has a manual key. If so, it would make sense that a fob used for clicking buttons to lock/unlock would last much longer. Our fob has to constantly transmit. Right?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
...Our fob has to constantly transmit. Right?
Yes, thus the power saving mode
BATTERY POWER SAVING
Both the vehicle and key transmitters are always sending signals to each other. To prevent battery drain, the smart key system is automatically deactivated in the following conditions:

• If the electronic key is left outside of the vehicle and within the effective range of the entry function actuation area for more than 10 minutes.
  • If the door lock or unlock operation is not performed more than 2 weeks.
The key and the vehicle are communicating even while the vehicle is not being driven. Do not leave the key near the vehicle (within 2 m [7 ft.]).

The vehicle battery may drain if the vehicle is not used for a long period of time.
To prevent battery drain, disconnect the battery negative (−) terminal or disable the smart key system. (For details about disable the smart key system, see “DISABLING THE SMART KEY SYSTEM” in this Section.)

To reactivate the smart key system, perform any of the following:
(a) Press the lock button on the front outside door handle or trunk open button while carrying the electronic key.
(b) Perform a wireless remote control operation.
(c) Insert and turn the mechanical key in the keyhole of the driver’s door.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:24 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Wink Re: After 22 months, battery is toast

Just guessing (although it's probably in the manual somewhere), but, the fob goes into 'sleep' mode under certain conditions, to preserve it's battery. I imagine that there is a signal emitted from these devices that the fob picks up and prevents it from going to sleep.
HINT: If your bedroom table is on a common wall with the garage that the car is in, I suggest you put your keys ACROSS the bedroom. If the fob is in range to the car, then it will not "sleep". It will sit there and respond to the cars interrogations all night long. My brother discharged his in only four months!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 PM

Yes, thus the power saving mode
and...duh...

Old 04-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I believe the MFD has a warning message to warn you that the key fob battery is low. If you didn't get that you either didn't notice it or the battery just failed.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 AM

I guess if we all invested 94 cents in a spare battery and kept them in that slot in the front of the arm rest compartment ("...oh, that's what that slot is for!"), we can (mercefully) put this thread to rest.

Quick Reply: After 22 months, battery is toast

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands