Acceleration question?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Acceleration question?

Interesting discussion, but perhaps the spirit of the original question has been somewhat neglected.

Others have alluded to "brisk" acceleration as being better for overall mileage than slower acceleration. But "brisk" is pretty subjective, which leaves me wondering what the "best" (or at least a pretty good) approach might be.

Apparently accelerating too slowly isn't so great for mileage. And I assume that the old advice to avoid jack-rabbit starts (does that term reveal my age?) still holds. So the question remains as to what counts as too slowly and what is too quickly.

Someone earlier in the thread (sorry, I don't have the reference on the screen) mentioned accelerating in such a way as to hold the instantaneous mileage meter at 10 mpg. While this may not be the perfect indicator, it does at least communicate some quantitative sense of an optimal rate of acceleration. Assuming a flat road and accelerating from a complete stop, does anyone have further advice and, just as importantly, is anyone able to communicate that in a non-subjective way?

To point out the obvious, the question is relevant only for situations in which traffic allows one the choice of how fast to accelerate. Accelerating at a rate that will put you in someone's trunk -- or put someone else's front bumper in yours -- isn't a good idea!

Thanks!
Bill

Old 04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

My favorite, once the engine is at normal temperature. I keep a eye on the the mpg consumption meter from a standing start. I try to keep it around 20 mpg. Some red lights I have to go slightly uphill and have to use 10 mpg or get run over. I rather not hold up evening traffic either. People coming home and etc. I can live with the 20 mpg acceleration but 10 is a killer on gas mileage. Only if used occasionally. I found that 20 mpg going uphill seems to work best.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by rburt07
My favorite, once the engine is at normal temperature. I keep a eye on the the mpg consumption meter from a standing start. I try to keep it around 20 mpg. Some red lights I have to go slightly uphill and have to use 10 mpg or get run over. I rather not hold up evening traffic either. People coming home and etc. I can live with the 20 mpg acceleration but 10 is a killer on gas mileage. Only if used occasionally. I found that 20 mpg going uphill seems to work best.
It's funny because I feel like I am never moving when at 20mpg. I am telling you I swear I have brick in my trunk! I will use this tips to try to figure it out. I find that sometimes it seems to have plenty of acceleration and then sometimes it just stinks. And I can't stand getting to optimal speed then BAM! red light.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:54 PM

I forgot to mention the 20 mpg on the consumption mpg meter is on a level surface. Taking off from a stop and going up a slight grade will take more acceleration.

I have a stretch of main city street that is a mile between the red lights. It has a 45 miles per hour speed limit. I find I can accelerate up to 35 miles per hour and put on the cruise. If the light was green when I entered that area, I might go 40. I find accelerating up to some of the speed limits that high was costing me gas mileage. Their is not that much traffic here in town other than workers coming home in the evenings between 4 and 6 pm.

Last edited by rburt07; 04-29-2008 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 AM

I looked again today when driving in town. I had the air conditioner set to 79 degrees. The fan speed was on the second mark. I took off from a stop sign and noticed the mpg dropped to 15 till I gained speed. I have always noticed on this car, as you accelerate moderately with the ice, the mpg is better once your over 30/35 miles per hour.