5W-20 or 0W-20???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 5W-20 or 0W-20???

tbone,

You can buy a filter wrench (cup style) at Wally World that works with a 3/8 extension and a ratchet. The car can be on an uphill incline (mine is on fiberglass ramps). Most autoparts stores accept used oil. I drop mine off at Advanced Auto. The guys see me so often they just wave me on to the back when they see my oil container (5-gallon bucket with a screw top pour spout).

Old 09-19-2008, 04:32 PM
The Regenerator

Ditto for me, but at my local AutoZone. I come in with a Tupperware tub that holds six gallon jugs that originally contained windshield washer fluid. Works for me. And them. I reuse the jugs until they get just too nasty, and then I replace them with fresh ones.

I've ended up using giant adjustable pliers to get the filter off. Other than my wife's Avalon, which has a bottom-mounted cartridge filter, which is the GREATEST PITA I've ever seen masquerading for an oil filter, this one isn't exactly convenient. At least the TCH uses the same filter as the Prius, so my stock of sale-purchased filters is still good.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I also use the serrated bottom cap with a extension and ratchet. I you have a new filter, you can match the cup to the bottom of the filter for a tight fit at the auto store.

I drive my car up on a staggered 1 x 6 and a 2 x 6 that are stacked on each side. This works great for me as the ramps scoot on my gravel driveway. I find the car doesn't have to be very high to do the job. I can do the oil filter by feel. I use a shallow drain pan then pour the oil into a empty drinking water container. Our dump has a oil collection container. I have also taken it to walmart. I'm sure their are many oil collection places.

You may prefer buying your own oil and filter and leaving it in the car. Take it to a trusted service station and pay a low labor fee to do the change. This saves having to dump the oil.

Last edited by rburt07; 09-19-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:30 PM
The Regenerator

And just for fun, here's a wonderful example of how not to access the underside of your car, irrespective of what you intend to do under there. Unless you're suicidal...

Hey, at least he has that right rear blocked.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 PM

For you guys, does Advanced Auto Parts and Auto Zone ask you for your contact information (address, phone number, so on) when you drop off oil?

This bothers me as I do not like giving out such personal information. I often give out my work address and phone.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

I have been asked for a name and phone number when buying parts. I just give them my work info. They have never asked when droping off old oil.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid
I have been asked for a name and phone number when buying parts. I just give them my work info. They have never asked when droping off old oil.
Must be a NY State thing...probably some kind of regulation like how we need to give our name and address when buying Kerosene.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Must be a NY State thing...probably some kind of regulation like how we need to give our name and address when buying Kerosene.
Yes. My guess is that they want to track this info just in case they get a load of hazardous waste. If companies get rid of waste, it is well documented through manifests with the DEQ, etc.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Not sure if this was mentioned, but...
I believe 0W-20 is better than 5W-20 in the frigid weather, but is there any difference in normal weather? I really don't care if the mileage is .03% higher or lower, but rather I'm more concerned whether there is a difference in the long term health of the engine.
Thanks!

Last edited by haroldo; 06-30-2009 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here in Southern California our lowest temps rarely get into the low 30's so I don't think there would be any advantage to running the 0-20W synthetic. Anyway, my opinion on synthetic vs. dino oil was formed a long time ago.

In the late 70's or early 80's Consumer Reports did extensive testing to see if synthetic oil had any advantages over regular "dino" oil. I remember the test including running a fleet of New York City cabs for 100,000 plus miles with half using synthetic and half dyno. At the end of the testing they tore down the engines, and looked for and measured for any wear. The results showed no difference between the engines running synthetic or dino oil.

Their overall conclusion was that, if you followed the manufactures recommended interval for oil and filter changes, there was no real advantage in using synthetic oil. One thing they did concede was the cold weather advantage due to the abililty to stay fluid in extremely cold temperatures.

Anyone else old enough to remember this report? I do because I was using Amsoil at that time and after reading this I went back to dyno oil.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands