30k Maintenance Rip

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 30k Maintenance Rip

I am currently sitting in the waiting room for an oil change and state inspection. I am nearly at 30k and asked about what they would do and how much it would cost for a 30k "check-up." I was quoted about $270 and that would include oil change, tire rotation, changing air and cabin air filters, and inspecting this and that and the other thing.

Is this a rip off? I'm going to go back and ask them what it'd cost if we took out the oil change and filter replacements (since I'm just doing the oil change now and changed both my filters at 25k). Anyone else have experience with their Toyota Dealer's service on this point? Thanks!

By the way, my oil change is free today because they royally f-ed up my last one (I usually bring my own oil and filter, and they put neither in the first time around...)

Old 10-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 30k Maintenance Rip

I did the same thing (one time), until I found out what they charged to change the air and cabin filters. I changed both filters in less than 10 minutes. I have small hands and can change the cabin filter without taking out the glove box. That saved me over $40.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeRemix
I am nearly at 30k and asked about what they would do and how much it would cost for a 30k "check-up."

Instead of asking the dealership what needs doing, why not check your Owners Manual? Make sure the service department sticks "to the letter" of the official schedule. And per the other responders: look into doing the easy stuff like filter changes yourself.

BTW, tire rotations are best scheduled to coincide with brake inspections. Since the wheels are coming off anyways, it shouldn't cost any extra when done at that time. I know the Honda schedule usually works it that way.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

My personal opinion is that the further I keep the car away from dealer service the better off I am.

I do the usual maintenance myself including the oil and filter change every 5,000 miles plus the air and cabin filters whenever called for in the owners manual. When the car was new I paid WalMart $30 to buy a lifetime balance and rotation for the tires and I have that done everytime I change the oil. So my maintenance bills are for 5 quarts of oil @ 2$ per quart plus a little over $5 for a quality oil filter which totals to a little over $15 every 5,000 miles.

Otherwise, if something sounds or feels funny I will take it in to be checked - most likely to a private mechanic first. Then if I find I have a possible warranty problem it will go the dealer for service and then I hold my breath and cross my fingers.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
Rotate tires
Replace cabin air filter
Replace engine air filter
Inspect the following:
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 3
Drive shaft boots
Engine coolant 4
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator, condenser and/or intercooler
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transmission fluid or oil

Note: Driving in heavy traffic, on dirt roads or in urban, dusty or desert areas may shorten the life of the cabin air filter. Replacement may be needed if you notice reduced airflow from the air conditioner and heater or if the windows fog easily when you use the "Fresh" mode. Consult your dealer if any of these conditions occur.

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving While Towing
Replace differential oil (manual transmission models)
Replace manual transmission oil
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis
Driving on Dirt Roads or Dusty Roads
Tighten nuts and bolts on chassis

Applicable Footnotes:
1) Reset the oil replacement reminder ("MAINT REQD") light after replacing engine oil.
3) Inspect thickness measurement and disc runout.
4) See Maintenance Definitions (Engine Coolant) for details.

When I went in for my 30,000 mile service (actually 28,xxx), I just had the Express Lube Plus. Oil change, tire rotation, brake check, and the xx point inspection.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Hybrid Lover

At my last service, I had the oil changed, tires rotated and both filters changed for about $110.00 with tax. They always complete a thorough inspection of the car. So, that said, they are possibly doing a more complete inspection than usual, but it is certainly not worth the $160.00 or so more than what they should charge for the just the normal stuff....if they are like my local dealer who completes their regular maintenance through a franchised Quick Lane. This could be the difference. They don't have posted signs offering levels of service and various mile milestone services that I've seen in the normal dealer service area. This Quick Lane services the dealers Toyota, Ford and BMW vehicles.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

i think 270 is a little steep, but i still think you're getting a much better than what I paid for in my previous c class' 40K service: $1250 for just synthetic fluids and new spark plugs. lol he claims the synthetic fluids were the reason i got great gas mileage on an inline 4...after that service, i traded it for the hybrid.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Air filter is like $15. Cabin air filter is like $20.
Add on oil change and tire rotation and you have a felony theft at $270.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hello to all

Sorry to hear that, but "all she asked for was the 30k service" was a huge mistake. What did you (or she) expect? You should never EVER consent to anything without written estimate whether it's car repairs or a house repairs or anything else. This is a lesson I learned a while ago... Another lesson I learned is that my wife is capable to make the same mistake, so I usually pre-arrange things like that if I can't do it myself...

At this point once the service is done, there is not much you can do, but complain and hopefully they'll be kind enough to give you a discount of some sort. To be honest I don't even know how much the service costs for 30k, but mine will be coming up next year and I hope it will be less then that.

Thanks for sharing

Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

there's nothing special about 30m miles
it's a 'dealer gimmick'
this is the suggested maintenance, as per Toyota's web site
Replace cabin air filter
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine oil and oil filter 1
Rotate tires
Inspect the following:
Automatic transmission fluid
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs 4
Drive shaft boots
Engine/inverter coolant 3
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Radiator, condenser and/or intercooler
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Basically, normal filters and fluids plus an inspection of a few items.
I'm not a mechanic, but I believe most of those items can be done visually with out a lot of effort (that is, the engine doesn't have to be taken apart to view the items.

There is one item, however, that the customer in many cases is happy to pay for...peace of mind. I'm not suggesting that the car will perform any better, but, like a placebo, four leaf clover, lucky hat or any other superstition, the owner feels better about it. To most of us, the thought of paying $200-300 sounds outlandish, but there are a lot of wealthier (than me!) people out there who routinely pay this for the comfort of knowing that they're doing everything they can to keep their car in tip top shape.
Many have said "I want to take it to the dealer, since they know the car better than anyone else"
These folk probably remember cars from the 70's that needed to be replaced at 100m miles. Aside from routine fluids and filters, most cars today require very little for the first 100m miles and can easily cruise to 150-200m with a little TLC.

Quick Reply: 30k Maintenance Rip

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands