2007 Camry - brake actuator fail - help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2007 Camry - brake actuator fail - help!

Hi,

My 2007 Camry Hybrid, with 170,000 miles on it, has just had a VSC error. The problem was the brake actuator has died. The repair is about $3,000.

This part was covered by a recall, but that was ended in 2016 and that extension program no longer applies.

This is the info on the recall: https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fed...-concerns.html

I spoke to the dealer and to national, and have been told that nothing can be done to extend the warranty. No surprise there of course.

So, two questions..... First, anyone have a suggestion for how to get this replaced for a lower amount? I can’t do the work myself. I have talked to a few mechanics who have given a similar price. Any suggestions? I assume no one has been able to convince Toyota to cover this?

And, my car has for years had a relay that runs in the engine block constantly. When the car is garaged it will keep clicking. The dealer has said that is just what it does and that is fine. By chance, could this be related to the actuator failing? I believe that relay relates to the braking system but am not sure if it connects to the actuator somehow.

If I can’t resolve this, I can’t imagine spending $3k on a 2007 with this much mileage on it. That is more than the car is worth unfortunately. Opinions??

Anyway, any and all help would be most appreciated!

Eric

Old 10-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 Camry - brake actuator fail - help!

If it was my car, I would try to clean all electrical connections related to break actuator, there is a very small chance, that maybe wiring is corroded (especially connectors) and actuator itself is ok. If that got me nowhere, I would call local junk yards and see if they have the part and how much would it cost, install shouldn't be more than few hours work. According to Kelley Blue Book your car is worth 4k to 6k (North East US, I don't know where you're located) and if it was taken good care of, should last another 50k easily, mine has 205k with total repair costs so far about $200, we have members here with over 300k miles.
Couple clicks are normal, even if the car sits parked for hours, a lot of clicks would indicate something is wrong.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"more than the car is worth" - I cringe when I hear people say this. It's grossly misleading.

You have to compare the repair cost/reliability of the vehicle to its replacement cost. A $3K repair to a car that probably has another $80K miles in it is **** cheap compared to a replacement. A new car will likely cost you that much in value loss within 6 months of ownership.

Part is $1200 new. Find an honest mechanic, or have the shops justify $1800 worth of labor to install.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Professor Emeritus

Number one..... Do some more research, because based on what you posted (1st post), you're grasping for straws...

Did you go in and have the campaign done for the master cylinder reservoir? That was part of the problem. Something about a filter or screen and brake fluid not moving easily between the 2 chambers. I had that done years ago. After having that done, that pump did seem to run less often.

Back in 2012 I had a panic attack about the whole VSC thing and actually bought a brand new accumulator/pump in case mine ever crapped out. This was before the recall. The pump was just under $900 delivered to my doorstep. So, whoever is quoting your prices is a ripoff artist or a dealer. It is a fairly straightforward and simple install. There are tutorials on here and other forums on replacing it. I have even read about people swapping them out and then driving to the dealer to have the system bled. And that is key, because you need to have the software to run the pump in order to bleed the system.

You or someone else should be able to do the repair for around or a little under $1500 including the part, unless Toyota has jacked up the price on the parts.