2007 - Brake, red triangle, orange circle, ABS lights, Check VSC, no loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast
Question 2007 - Brake, red triangle, orange circle, ABS lights, Check VSC, no loss of power

2007 TCH 210k. Brake, red triangle warning, orange circle warning and ABS lights and CHECK VSC SYSTEM message suddenly came on while on highway the other day. No loss of power to brakes (or to transmission). For several months, brakes have been oddly quickly intermittent (more/less grabby), but only when the brake pedal is lightly pressed while at light, in stop-and-go traffic, or slowly rolling to a stop. Otherwise they seem to function normally. OBD2 scanner reports no trouble codes. The only reading reported is OBD-II Calibration ID: 33380200 Calibration Verification Numbers (CVN): p
Toyota replaced the Brake Actuator Assembly 7 years ago as part of the "Warranty Enhancement." Any thoughts on what the problem could be?

Old 09-22-2021, 04:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 - Brake, red triangle, orange circle, ABS lights, Check VSC, no loss of powe

No thoughts whatsoever. It could be one of many dozens of things. "BRAKE" light strongly suggests a problem with the ABS system.

You're not getting any codes because there are multiple codes that can't be read by consumer-grade code readers. It needs professional-grade scanners. Additionally, I have encountered several Toyotas that absolutely refuse to have their codes read by anything but professional-grade stuff. I have no explanation for it, but I've encountered it about 10 times in 500 encounters.

Either take it to the dealership or a shop with a professional-grade scanner.

Old 09-22-2021, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 - Brake, red triangle, orange circle, ABS lights, Check VSC, no loss of powe

Originally Posted by S Keith
No thoughts whatsoever. It could be one of many dozens of things. "BRAKE" light strongly suggests a problem with the ABS system.

You're not getting any codes because there are multiple codes that can't be read by consumer-grade code readers. It needs professional-grade scanners. Additionally, I have encountered several Toyotas that absolutely refuse to have their codes read by anything but professional-grade stuff. I have no explanation for it, but I've encountered it about 10 times in 500 encounters.

Either take it to the dealership or a shop with a professional-grade scanner.
Thanks. I have used the scanner successfully many times to read and clear codes, which is why I was thrown by receiving no codes whatsoever. I am about to take the vehicle to a shop and definitely suspect some part of the brake system, given the odd behavior with the light touch on the pedal. Just wondering what the symptoms suggest I'm in for.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Unless you have an expensive code reader, there are dozens of codes you can't read. The more hybrid-specific they are, the worse.

Given the symptoms and the "BRAKE" light illumination, I wouldn't be surprised if the ABS actuator has given it up again.