2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
The Regenerator
Default Re: 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Originally Posted by backupguy
Sorry I have offended you.
Whoa!!! Hold on there -- I wasn't offended in the least, and I hope you were not either. My intent was not be be an annoying nit-picker. My comment was made more in the spirit of the neighbor you'd probably hope would tell you if you'd left your fly down, your gas flap open, or your shoe untied. Heaven knows, I make more mistakes by far than the average Joe, and though it may be an unpleasant surprise to find out that I've made another, I'm usually glad if someone lets me know.

Not trying to step on the toes of the owners and admins here, but FYI, I'm an admin over at Bobistheoilguy.com (perhaps the most obsessive motor oil discussion site around). The Mobil/Mobile thing is probably one of the most common mistakes we see there, and a very natural one.

AND, in case your ego needs a boost (not saying it does...), some social scientist at one of the ivy league schools (I've totally forgotten which -- college was 25 years ago) did a study that seemed to indicate that there's little or no correlation between spelling ability and intelligence!

Let's move on and enjoy the discussion.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: 2 years in, the dealers still don't 'get' the TCH is not just a Camry

Gene,

All in good fun. A lot of people wonder why we call the Mobile area "LA". For the California guys, that means "Lower Alabama"....

I've seen some of your postings over on BITOG. It is a great site for oils, filters and some very oddball discussions (and at times some heated ones....).

Old 09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Professional Hacker

I'm coming into this thread pretty late... but here is my $0.02

For the most part, most people at the dealers know VERY LITTLE about the hybrids. I have 4 dealers near me, and I went to all 4 when looking for my camry. 3 of the 4 dealers didn't have anyone that was able to talk about the technical aspects of the car. The dealer that I ended up buying through had a fleet manager that was able to give me an amazing amount of detail. he was even able to show me the Nav System in great detail, from memory. That same dealer had pissed me off a week before because the sales vultures on the lot didn't even know that the Power Split Device is different than the 6 speed Auto.

As for service departments, ONLY go to them for warranty REPAIRS. That is the profit center of the dealer. That $89 5,000 mile service would cost you $19 in parts and supplies. They use the cheapest oil they can find, and filters from the lowest bidder.

The worst part is that even the factory trained service techs know very little about the HSD system. The one tech that I know personally (the best-friend of a co-worker) was completely clueless as to what an "Atkinson Cycle" engine was, and described the Power Split Device as the same type of transmission (CVT) in a Civic Hybrid. The best part... He is the highest level tech at that dealer.

So... If you choose to go to the dealer, find one that has a clue about the car. taking it elsewhere WILL NOT void your warranty.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Site Sponsor

The "BULK OIL" is probably 5W-30 which is NOT the Toyota recommended oil.
The dealerships are reluctant to change because the 5W-30 is cheaper.

The Toyota Technical Service Bulleten (TSB) and the Owner's Manual both state that 5W-20 is OK. But, for better fuel economy & better cold starting performance use 0W-20.

More recently, Toyota announced 0W-20 across the board:

In the July 1, 2008 Edition of Flashpoint, ILMA has announced that Toyota has officially decided to switch the recommendation on engine oil for certain vehicles from SAE 5W20 and SAE 5W30 to SAE 0W20.

ILMA reports that these changes will affect all Toyota brands, including Toyota, Scion and Lexus. The change will also appear in owner's manuals.

No further information is offered on timing or specific vehicles.

Please read more about this announcement here:
http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/...8-07-01/1.html

Here is a link to download the TSB:
http://www.chrysanindustries.com/pdf..._tsb071002.pdf

Hopefuly, As more owners request the 0W-20, the dealerships will be motivated to carry the 0W-20 in bulk so that the "BULK OIL" = 0W-20.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
Outcast Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vioarc
When I picked up my TCH after the 35,000 mile service I noted that they had put a sticker on the inside of the windshield reminding me to change the oil in 3,000 miles...
Could be worse! When I picked up my non-hybrid after a 135,000 mile service, the new windshield sticker reminded me to change the oil at 130,000 miles. Guess, I will need to get the odo rolled back