1st oil change at Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

Originally Posted by freeagn
I had my first dealer service on Friday, in and out in 45 minutes. Before I could ask them about the 0w-20 syn. oil, they told me it is what they use in TCH as shown on service order. They also rotated the tires, check and adjusted my tire pressures to 42lbs as requested. They wash & vacuumed and did the windows. I'm very pleased with the dealers whole operation.
Andy, if you don't mind me being nosy, what did your dealer charge? I don't think my dealer includes wash/vacuum as part of his 5,000 mile service.

I've only got about 1,800 miles on my TCH, so I haven't found out how much my dealer is going to soak me for his 5,000 mile service with synthetic oil.

Thanks...

Old 03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast

When I brought my TCH in for its first oil change, I mentioned the oil recommendation and the service advisor said that they would use the recommended oil, but when I got the invoice it said that they put in 10W30 bulk oil. When I asked the about it, they said that they put in the bottled 5W20, and make a mistake on the invoice. Guess I will never know for sure what they used.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

With all these stories about dealers using the wrong oil, or owner's not really knowing what was used, what do you think the likelihood is of a dealer cheating me if I bring in my own 0w20 synthetic and leaving the bottles on the front seat where they "cannot miss them"?

Do you think the service tech would just throw them in his own car trunk and take them home?

I guess I have liked Jiffy Lube in the past, since I can stand there and watch them do the work.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by abward
With all these stories about dealers using the wrong oil, or owner's not really knowing what was used, what do you think the likelihood is of a dealer cheating me if I bring in my own 0w20 synthetic and leaving the bottles on the front seat where they "cannot miss them"?

Do you think the service tech would just throw them in his own car trunk and take them home?

I guess I have liked Jiffy Lube in the past, since I can stand there and watch them do the work.
Has anyone ever tried to watch the service being performed on their car? I hung around my dealer's service area while waiting for work to be performed on my car (disable seatbelt buzzer). I even stood next to the tech and watched him perform the work. Nobody tried to run me off. I would think that if you stayed out of the way, you may be able to keep an eye on 'em. It's worth a try!

Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I should think that in general, they would frown on you being near the bays, due to liability reasons.

At Jiffy Lube, I can stand just outside the building and still be only 2m from the car.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: 1st oil change at Toyota

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
Has anyone ever tried to watch the service being performed on their car?
I specifically requested that I be allowed to watch the oil being added. My dealer said no problem and allowed me to watch.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Enthusiast

I called my local Toyota dealer (Walnut Creek, CA) and asked the service department what it was going to cost me to have my first 5,000 mile service. He told me it was going to cost me $104.95. Ouch! What is it costing people on this list who don't have the "free" service that came with their car when they bought it.

$104.95 seems high for an oil and filter change and to "Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs" as it is listed in the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" that came with my Camry Hybrid.

Thanks for your help...

Rod

Old 03-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rodsouza
I called my local Toyota dealer (Walnut Creek, CA) and asked the service department what it was going to cost me to have my first 5,000 mile service. He told me it was going to cost me $104.95. Ouch! What is it costing people on this list who don't have the "free" service that came with their car when they bought it.

$104.95 seems high for an oil and filter change and to "Visually inspect brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs" as it is listed in the "Scheduled Maintenance Guide" that came with my Camry Hybrid.

Thanks for your help...

Rod
Using full synthetic oil which is more expensive, changing oil and filter $23.
Yes and I forgot, being the brakes are regenerative they will last 150K so a brake check is a waste and they now it. but it sounds soooo good, stealers will take all your $$$$

Last edited by skywagon; 03-13-2007 at 10:17 AM. Reason: new info
Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

If I get my Camry Hybrid oil changed at some other location other than a Toyota dealership, is the message that keeps coming up on my dash telling me that I need maintenance soon or now with the Red triangle with the "!" going to go away by itself or is there something I can do you "reset" it?

Does it stop on it's own or can I turn it off for this time and it will remind me when I get to the next 5,000 mile service?

Thanks for the help.

Rod

Old 03-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by rodsouza

Thanks for your help...

Rod
I would ask them to itemize the charges for each thing they are doing and suggest that you are going to another dealer unless they can get reasonable!!!

Quick Reply: 1st oil change at Toyota

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands