12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

I have the original AGM battery, June 2006, now at 96,000 miles. Last summer the TCH was parked for 30 days while on vacation. Upon returning, the battery tested 12.2V. I was surprised!

Old 03-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Nash, great information on the amount of time you can leave the car not running and the 12 volt battery will be "live". I thought 1 week was the max it word go, I never tried to push it further.
I see you are reporting some ridiculous numbers on fuel economy with your 2007 Camry Hybrid.
They must have come from a trip down the Rocky's to seal level.
Here in Florida I'm happy with a 34 -35 average in town with a bit of Hwy.
The BEST I've ever done was all Hwy, 41.8 on a tank driving I95.
Great Job.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:52 AM

BY NO MEANS DO I WANT TO SHAKE THE BOAT OF THIS THREAD.

but:

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. All of our batteries have provisions for venting, as all lead-acid batteries (AGM or otherwise) can vent in the extreme overcharging scenarios previously mentioned. However, only our group 27, 51, 34C, 78 and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there's a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

Our fitment guide lists Group 35 batteries as direct-fit replacement, but those batteries do not have provisions for external venting. I'm not familiar with the location of the OEM batteries in hybrid Camrys. Are they in a sealed box in the trunk that is vented to the outside? Our RedTop batteries are designed and warrantied for starting applications, while our YellowTops are designed and warrantied for both starting and deep-cycle applications. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

If your battery is in a stock location, I may be making a trip to our local Toyota dealer, to verify that all years of Camry hybrids have the same battery location. If that is the case, we cannot recommend our Group 35 batteries, as they only have the top vents that cannot be connected to vent tubes. The only batteries that may fit would be our Group 51 YellowTops and our Group 78 RedTops (pictured), although I cannot recommend either as a direct-fit replacement at this point. You can find the exterior dimensions for our YellowTops here and the exterior dimensions of our RedTops here.

Jim McIlvaine

Old 04-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
My question is about the battery spacer for installation. Would you elaborate?
Thanks,
German.bear

Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM

battery spacer??????????

Old 05-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast

Was there ever a follow up from Jim about this? I was planning on going with the Optima here, but now am concerned. It sounds like the only safe option is to go with the dealer's $350 battery.

Thanks

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
BY NO MEANS DO I WANT TO SHAKE THE BOAT OF THIS THREAD.

but:

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. All of our batteries have provisions for venting, as all lead-acid batteries (AGM or otherwise) can vent in the extreme overcharging scenarios previously mentioned. However, only our group 27, 51, 34C, 78 and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there's a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

Our fitment guide lists Group 35 batteries as direct-fit replacement, but those batteries do not have provisions for external venting. I'm not familiar with the location of the OEM batteries in hybrid Camrys. Are they in a sealed box in the trunk that is vented to the outside? Our RedTop batteries are designed and warrantied for starting applications, while our YellowTops are designed and warrantied for both starting and deep-cycle applications. If anyone has any questions about our batteries, I'll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine

If your battery is in a stock location, I may be making a trip to our local Toyota dealer, to verify that all years of Camry hybrids have the same battery location. If that is the case, we cannot recommend our Group 35 batteries, as they only have the top vents that cannot be connected to vent tubes. The only batteries that may fit would be our Group 51 YellowTops and our Group 78 RedTops (pictured), although I cannot recommend either as a direct-fit replacement at this point. You can find the exterior dimensions for our YellowTops here and the exterior dimensions of our RedTops here.

Jim McIlvaine

Old 05-06-2012, 01:57 PM

why? Those batteries produce virtually no hydrogen. also, they vent into open trunk, not sealed box, so there will be no hydrogen collection, if any.
besides, with a little bit of JB weld or other resins, you can laminate 2 vent hoses to provisions, factory installed into Optimas, and connect them to the OEM vent line.
besides, people stick regular acid batteries in as replacements, and have no problems.
ultimately, it's everyone's personal decision. I will go for Optima, when time comes. so far, OEM one does fine.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 AM
Enthusiast

The Optima is the answer here. The concern about venting is a non issue because; THIS IS NOT A STARTING BATTERY - it only runs the 12 volt accessories and control systems. Sealed batteries have a valve in them which keeps them sealed and prevents leakage/evaporation into the atmosphere. The valve does not open under low charge discharges. And, there is NO huge charge discharge cycle going on here, and thats what causes the venting. Even if this was a a high discharge device with lots of charging and discharging, my concerns would be minimal. Hydrogen, while explosive, is also a very small elusive element, and requires only very small openings to dissipate into the surroundings. This is the case with marine installations where LARGE 8D battery banks can be mounted up forward running high current bow thrusters with just standard battery boxes and small vent holes into the main cabin.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Former Vendor

While the risk of any lead-acid battery venting, particularly AGM batteries, may be relatively-small, the possibility still exists. If that happens, the fumes are both toxic and flammable and as such, our legal department does not allow us to recommend mounting any lead-acid battery in any enclosed space, including trunks and interiors.

Jim McIlvaine
www.twitter.com/optimabatteries

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM

we know. we had this discussed about a year ago, right, Jim? and your company still stubbornly disregards easy way to factory install 2 vent hoses on existing vents, to connect them to OEM vent line? or, even sell a separate kit for it? corporate America is killer dense.

Quick Reply: 12 Volt Battery Replacement / Upgrade on a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with photos

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands