100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 07:55 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Our '09 will be six years old in January. We plan to keep it for another three to four years so I hope it lasts until then.
We recently bought a '15 Prius so we are a two hybrid family now. Really like the technology of the Toyota hybrid and will replace the '09 Camry with either an Avalon or new Camry in '18 or '19.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Everyone,

I just crossed the 139,000 mile mark on my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid and although the mileage has been amazing the fit and finish has definitely not been up to Toyota standards!! I have replaced the water pump and the 12v battery at 110,000 miles with an Optima Yellow top battery. I have been through 2 sets of tires and I am currently on my third set (Michelin Primacy MXV4) The car seems to consistently have problems with the tires staying balanced. And my mechanic blames the excessive weight of the traction battery in the car for all of the balancing issues. Overall the car has been good but it looks like it is time to trade it in for a more fuel efficient Tesla Model S!!!

Old 11-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I haven't even noticed. Besides engine belt job, no diff. Still gets great mpg and drives fine. Suspension is somewhat tired, but that's more cuz of the chitty roads around. Engine is smooth and silent, total love with PSD smoothness.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by vinster27
Hello Everyone,

I just crossed the 139,000 mile mark on my 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid and although the mileage has been amazing the fit and finish has definitely not been up to Toyota standards!! I have replaced the water pump and the 12v battery at 110,000 miles with an Optima Yellow top battery. I have been through 2 sets of tires and I am currently on my third set (Michelin Primacy MXV4) The car seems to consistently have problems with the tires staying balanced. And my mechanic blames the excessive weight of the traction battery in the car for all of the balancing issues. Overall the car has been good but it looks like it is time to trade it in for a more fuel efficient Tesla Model S!!!
Hate to tell you this but your mechanic is full of s**t about the traction battery causing your balancing issues. I'm on my 4th set of tires (have over 150,000 miles on the car) and have never had an issue getting a tire balanced. If you are having issues, try checking the struts on the car as they may be causing excessive "bounce" that is causing the tires to wear unevenly.

Failing that, get someone else to balance your tires.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:30 AM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by vinster27
Hello Everyone,

Total B.S. You should look for another mechanic. That is an asinine thing to say, just stupid!

I had a hell of a time keeping the OEM Michelins balanced on this car. They would not hold balanced worth a crap! They also tracked all over the place and did not wear evenly. Would never buy again. Worst tires on the car to date. I am on my 3rd set of tires and just broke 200,000 miles. Every set of tires that has been on this car so far has gone beyond 75,000 miles. OEM Michelins made it to 78,000 miles, 2nd set Hankook Optimos made it to 159,000 miles and held balance beautifully and the 3rd set Yokohamas are currently at 200,200 miles and Track/hold balance beautifully as well. It is looking like the Yokohamas will take me to about 240,000 miles. Plenty of tread left. Not sure what the deal was with the Michelins. I never knew how "squirrely" the car was until I got rid of them!

I would suggest you look around your local area for someone that has a "Hunter Road Force" balancing system. That was the only way I ever got those stupid Michelins to stay balanced (and it was always an issue). There is a website somewhere that lists places that carry that machine. It really works!

Tesla Model "S" huh? Cool car! At 3 to 4 times the cost of the Camry is does not make sense unless you got money to burn. I am anxious to see what the actual price will be on their new "more affordable" model supposedly coming out soon.

We have a Tesla "Super Charger" station right down the street from us here in Port St. Lucie. There is usually a couple Model S cars in there charging up.... I tend to drool as I drive by....

Old 11-18-2014, 05:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

You got REALLY good miles out of your OEM Michelins - only got 45k miles out of ours. Don't recall having a problem with them holding balance but didn't pay much attention to that.
Only have 75k miles on our '09 so far and really love the TCH so far. Just bought a '15 Prius for the wife and she loves that as much as the Camry. Another three to four years before I get to replace the Camry and will probably go with another TCH or maybe an Avalon hybrid.
About the Tesla S did you know that Consumer Reports lists the '13 Tesla S as a used car to avoid? Really surprised me since they went crazy with a good review when they tested it.
Hard to figure!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:00 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=litespeed;254726]Yokohamas are currently at 200,200 miles and Track/hold balance beautifully as well. It is looking like the Yokohamas will take me to about 240,000 miles. Plenty of tread left.

Would you be willing to share what series Yokohama you are running?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 AM
Professor Emeritus

[quote=sjessen;254830]
Originally Posted by litespeed
Yokohamas are currently at 200,200 miles and Track/hold balance beautifully as well. It is looking like the Yokohamas will take me to about 240,000 miles. Plenty of tread left.

Would you be willing to share what series Yokohama you are running?

Thanks.
Yokohama YK580. I'm not really so sure why the tires have lasted so long on this car. I drive it pretty hard too. Mostly high speed interstate driving (75-85MPH). The Hankooks were a 60,000 mile rated tire and made it over 80,000 miles. The Yokohamas are a 60,000 mile rated tire too and will easily make it past 60,000 miles.

The noise has gotten a little worse after 40,000 miles. But, that is the case with any tire as they begin to wear. These tires handle the best out of the 3 sets I have had on the car so far FWIW...

Old 11-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=litespeed;254836]
Originally Posted by sjessen

Yokohama YK580. I'm not really so sure why the tires have lasted so long on this car. I drive it pretty hard too. Mostly high speed interstate driving (75-85MPH). The Hankooks were a 60,000 mile rated tire and made it over 80,000 miles. The Yokohamas are a 60,000 mile rated tire too and will easily make it past 60,000 miles.

The noise has gotten a little worse after 40,000 miles. But, that is the case with any tire as they begin to wear. These tires handle the best out of the 3 sets I have had on the car so far FWIW...
Thank you. We are need of new tires so I will serif these are available.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

2008 Camry Hybrid, 104,000
One driveline was replaced and the water pump at about 60k. Otherwise routine maintenance. This has been a one owner that was serviced at the same Toyota dealer all it's life going through all those million point inspections with them looking hard for anything to make some money one! I've got all the paperwork and ran the carfax as well. Fully loaded, power leather heated seats, moonroof, tilt/telescoping wheel, etc.
Runs, drives, looks like new. Only issue is the Factory over engineered JBL stereo/nav unit, which will hopefully be resolved soon?!

Learning how to TRY and truly average 40+ MPG is a full time job! I can get 50 MPG on my 2006 Prius, no block heater, no mods. Driving this TCH requires constant peddle feathering and will likely require a block heater to break 40 MPG. Honestly there is TOO much ICE! Toyota could have put a 2.0 or likely even a 1.8 out of a Corolla with the electric motors. They probably would have had room to use 1 electric motor instead of 2 as well?!

I understand that lead foots want power when they're test driving cars, but Hybrid owners will trade some for Fuel Economy, I know I would! I had a 96 Camry 4 cyl, w/OD auto that I could get over 30 MPG and a 2002 Camry 4 cyl/5spd that I could average 33 MPG with. I'm on the verge of ticking off other drivers behind me and this is maybe 36-37 MPG avg. so far, what's the point? I really like the way it looks and drives, but if I can't get 40 MPG it's not what I signed up for. I could get a Corolla S and do BETTER! I'm 6'4" and Corolla's are roomy enough for me, the leg room leaves a bit to be desired in this as well, the middle console from arm rest to the stereo is 2" too wide and squeezes into space I could use!

Didn't mean for this to turn into a rant, it's just feedback from the trenches. This is a great car, but I've definitely found room for improvement that should have been taken care of before these were put into production. Doesn't make any sense to me to spend hundreds of millions of dollars into engineering Hybrid technologies and then just add electric motors wherever they can stuff them in to the stock motor on these. They should have just took what is proven in the Prius and added maybe 15% more displacement to the motor to accommodate the added weight and diminished aerodynamics. These would have plenty of power and Avg 44-45 MPG!

Neyhhow that's a Hybrid!

Quick Reply: 100,000+ Miles Reviews--How was your Experience?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands