09 TCH anything different?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 09 TCH anything different?

Originally Posted by tegster
Hi,

I have an '08 TCH and I leave my headlights on auto most of the time. The exception being when it rains, I turn them manually. My dash lights and radio lights automatically dim when the headlights come on and go back to full bright when the headlights are off as verified by my dash light that indicates the headlights on. My dash lights will also dim at other intervals which I believe correspond to when the parking lights come on in auto mode but I have been unable to verify.

I set the dimming switch down at night as I found the light from the radio distracting. Ever since I set it to my liking, the TCH remembers that setting anytime the headlights are on.

Is it different on other TCH's?
That is exactly what I described in an earlier post. I have an 2007.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM

Yeah, that's what I don't understand about some of the other posts. My dash lighting also definitely goes to full bright whenever the headlights shut off, whether because I set them to OFF, or they shut off in daytime in AUTO setting. When they turn back on, the dash lighting dims back to where it was.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have to say that I was a bit confused too.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Driving in stealth mode

I have a stupid question that relates to this. After reading this post a while back the next time I got into my car I played with the little selector stick by the speedometer that also controls the brightness of the display. Other than making it the brightest level is there any impact by turning it all the way to the right until it clicks?

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by coolshock1
I have a stupid question that relates to this. After reading this post a while back the next time I got into my car I played with the little selector stick by the speedometer that also controls the brightness of the display. Other than making it the brightest level is there any impact by turning it all the way to the right until it clicks?
When it clicks I believe that means "always on." Does it also turn on the dome lights? In my older cars the dimmer controlled this function. I have the moon roof so I have a separate button for the "dome light" and I cannot test it. I generally don't play with that much.

The manual probably could tell us.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Driving in stealth mode

No it doesn't turn the dome lights on. That was the first thing I looked for when I got in to test drive my car. I looked in the manual but didn't find anything about it's functionality other than change the MFD and the brightness of the panel lights.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:42 PM
Driving in stealth mode

"To adjust the brightness of the instrument
panel lights, turn the ****.
With the **** turned fully clockwise, the
intensity of the instrument cluster lights
will not be reduced even when the tail
lights/headlights are turned on
."

From the owners manual!!!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by coolshock1
"To adjust the brightness of the instrument
panel lights, turn the ****.
With the **** turned fully clockwise, the
intensity of the instrument cluster lights
will not be reduced even when the tail
lights/headlights are turned on
."

From the owners manual!!!!!
Excellent. Now the interesting thing is this....I turned my instrument panel lights all the way up (just before the click). When I manually turned on the headlights (and running lights) there was no change. This was during broad daylight. I am going to go out when it gets dark to see if they dim to my previous "dark" setting.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Excellent. Now the interesting thing is this....I turned my instrument panel lights all the way up (just before the click). When I manually turned on the headlights (and running lights) there was no change. This was during broad daylight. I am going to go out when it gets dark to see if they dim to my previous "dark" setting.
Ok. I think I see what the OP was saying.

Although there are essentially three levels of brightness, there is only one level to set. Each of the three levels are a function of where the **** is set.

Since I set mine just above off, the brightness is low for all levels although it is brighter during daylight hours.

Day - brightest
Dusk - semi-bright
Dark - dimmer

If I am understanding the OP, he wishes you could set the three levels independently using the ****. Not just having the three levels a function of one set **** position.

I cannot vouch for other car makes and models and how they work. Apparently Honda's allow such a desired function? I do not have a way to test. I did not have this function on my 1997 Ford Ranger. The instrument panel lights were off until the parking or head lights were on. Even then there was just one setting via the ****.

Boy I hope that made sense.....

Mike

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 04-03-2008 at 06:27 PM.