'08 TCH "6-2. Customization: Customizable features"

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default '08 TCH "6-2. Customization: Customizable features"

Hi all:

Just picked up an (used) '08 Toyota Camry Hybrid last week. Reading thru the 400+ manual, I see that there's a section towards the end called "6-2. Customization: Customizable features" (page #421~423). This is similar to my Honda ('07 Odyssey minivan), except it reads that I have to get those done only by dealership, grrr...! I love how I can easily press-this/press-that to customize/reprogram my Honda to my liking by myself.

Are there some secret/hack methods on changing those on TCH at all?

Mainly...
I want the remote door lock/unlock to happen silently (no "beep", "beep-beep" at night).
I want the remote door lock to open all doors in one click (simple).
I want the headlights to turn off upon turning the car off (so not to mistake it's still ON/Ready).

Thanks,
- PiroChu

PS.
I also read about the cool Navi "while-driving" hack here, but it's too bad that it's only "temporary" (must hack every time), not "permanent". I'm not even sure which version (5.1 vs 6.1) mine is yet, though. (How to check?)

PPS.
The dealership snuck in some BS "VTR" stuff (window etch / theft deter) on the bill without my conscious knowledge, grrrr..., and I'm still trying to get my money back. First time I saw/learned about this "VTR" stuff. Going back there today - wish me luck!
http://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127137
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123711870
http://www.santaclara-da.org/portal/...0048dc4a92____

Last edited by PiroChu; 04-28-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: '08 TCH "6-2. Customization: Customizable features"

Piro,

If I have time tonight, I will get the Modis out and see what it available on the body module ECU. The dealer will normally set these the first time for free and charge for any changes after that point. If the Snap-on unit can change them, I will let you know the modules and options and any tech with an equal unit (Solus Pro, Verus or Modis) should be able to do them for you. They will charge you to hook it up however.....

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you FORCE the dealer they will disclose a much wider set of customization features, 6 or 7 pages long. And just maybe, should you really luck out, someone at the dealer will be able to relate an understanding of the majority of these.

Ask for the FULL C-BEST, CUSTOM BODY ELECTRONICS SETTINGS XXXXX (I think..), list.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:56 AM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by PiroChu
The dealership snuck in some BS "VTR" stuff (window etch / theft deter) on the bill without my conscious knowledge, grrrr..., and I'm still trying to get my money back. First time I saw/learned about this "VTR" stuff.
Oh, by the way, I actually got my money back on this "VTR" stuff, yey!

And I think I'll start calling around different Toyota dealerships in the area to see what they charge for these customization. I'm guessing that some charges more/less than others...?

Last edited by PiroChu; 04-30-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

The manual has a section that tells you how to unlock all doors at once. My dealer said it couldn't be done due to safety issues. BS.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by carolinacamry
The manual has a section that tells you how to unlock all doors at once.
Yeah, my used '08 came as such that touching the driver's door unlocks all doors (set by previous owner, per page#40 on '07 online owner's manual), which I like. I just want my Smart Key fob to do the same (one click and all doors open; and without beeping as well), which I'm afraid that it needs to be done only at a dealership ($$$!)...

Cheers,
- PiroChu

PS.
Finished my very 1st full tank of gas yesterday. I got 34.4MPG on mix driving. I noticed that the gas light came on when having consumed only 13 gallons (out of 17.2 gallon tank), so I guess I still had another 150 miles left before "empty". Funny how the light comes on so early (vs my previous other cars came on when 2 gallons left in tank).

Last edited by PiroChu; 05-03-2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:12 PM
2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by PiroChu
it needs to be done only at a dealership
BTW, one local dealership said $157 "per visit" (say, for a few customizable changes). I'm glad that at least they didn't price per change item, though - phew.