07’ Camry Hybrid Trouble Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07’ Camry Hybrid Trouble Codes

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to look into fixing my 07’ Camry Hybrid. I have driven it without the hybrid system for well over a year. About a couple days ago, I took the hybrid out (with assistance with a neighbor who’s been a mechanic for well over 40 years). The code that was popping up on my end was the dreaded P0A80 which was of course accompanied by the triangle and check engine light.

However, upon my inspection of the hybrid battery... all cells were reading 7.80~7.90v and was consistent all the way through. I’ve cleaned the fan and all that when reinstalling. I also put new bus bars in as well, as the original ones were corroded. It ran fine for a couple of days, then P0A80 came back on.

I decided to let my neighbor use his fancy (3000$-4000$) code reader to run my entire car. I got these following codes;
C1259 - HV Control System regenerative fault
C1310 - HV System Fault
B2281 - P Signal (No idea what this is)
C2121 - Data from transmitter ID 1 not received (main)
C2165 - Fault of inside temperature of ID 1 tire.
P0A80 - Hybrid battery Replacement

As well as tire pressure monitor, but that’s an easy fix.

After doing some research, I came to the conclusion I would need to replace the Hybrid ECU? If I’m correct?

If I were to do this... would it possibly fix the hybrid problem (P0A80) as well?

Car currently has 118k miles. Relatively high for being in Hawai’i.

Mahalo/Thank you in advance. Trying to see if it’s worth fixing it or if I should just replace the car.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07’ Camry Hybrid Trouble Codes

Failed hybrid battery.

Old 11-16-2020, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Failed hybrid battery.
Already check the battery and each and individual cells.
Ran it through all the tests used to test each cell and if it could hold a charge without discharging.
It all checked out ok.

Old 11-16-2020, 08:14 PM

Wrong.

You didn't test anything. You measured voltages. This is analogous to you just checking your tire pressures without checking to see if the tread is still good.

Camry batteries typically fail due to a large number of modules with less than 30-40% rated capacity with several in the 10-20% range. The car sees this behavior during driving and determines the battery can no longer provide the necessary CAPACITY for proper hybrid operations.

A bald tire will still roll, but it won't perform acceptably. Your battery has deteriorated to the status of "bald tire."

You can clear the code, and it will likely stay away for as long as two weeks, but it absolutely, positively will return.

P0A80 occurs for two reasons:
  1. Weak or failing 12V battery, which is accompanied by a dozen additional codes, many of which reference "low voltage."
  2. Failed hybrid battery
Hybrid/Battery/Other ECUs have their own DTC.

Old 12-23-2020, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast

Wrong.

You didn't test anything. You measured voltages. This is analogous to you just checking your tire pressures without checking to see if the tread is still good.

Camry batteries typically fail due to a large number of modules with less than 30-40% rated capacity with several in the 10-20% range. The car sees this behavior during driving and determines the battery can no longer provide the necessary CAPACITY for proper hybrid operations.

A bald tire will still roll, but it won't perform acceptably. Your battery has deteriorated to the status of "bald tire."

You can clear the code, and it will likely stay away for as long as two weeks, but it absolutely, positively will return.

P0A80 occurs for two reasons:
  1. Weak or failing 12V battery, which is accompanied by a dozen additional codes, many of which reference "low voltage."
  2. Failed hybrid battery
Hybrid/Battery/Other ECUs have their own DTC.
12V battery is reading at 12.5-12.8v with the car off.
14.3v with he car on.

I've recently replaced my hybrid back with a remanufactured one from Dorman bought from O'Reilly.
However, the same thing has been happening... the P0A80 Code came back on (along with the VSC and stuff but that goes away). Double check all the plugs and everything. Oddly enough, while reversing up a hill to park... the cooling fan was abnormally loud.

So is this another fault HV Battery or another problem with another part of the car? Can a bad inverter cause a hybrid battery replacement failure code?

Old 12-23-2020, 02:19 PM

Dorman is notorious for DOA or short lived batteries.

Old 12-23-2020, 03:41 PM
Enthusiast

Dorman is notorious for DOA or short lived batteries.
Yup, a new code just popped up. P3015
I will be returning and getting my old bad hybrid battery pack back.
I just stalled on a road... At least with the old one I was able to still drive without the problems.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:36 PM

I've seen that happen one time. Would drive for about 15-20 minutes then stall. Pull over, restart, drive 15-20, repeat.

I've never heard of someone getting their old battery back. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Enthusiast

I've seen that happen one time. Would drive for about 15-20 minutes then stall. Pull over, restart, drive 15-20, repeat.

I've never heard of someone getting their old battery back. Good luck.
I dropped it off today at O'Reilly. Just gave them a call and they're holding the battery for me. Benefits of living in Hawaii. Things take a while to even leave the store.

I come to realize that it is not worth replacing the hybrid. So ill just settle driving with just the engine until I replace the car in itself.

Thanks for the help~

Old 12-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Nice.

Note that a degraded hybrid battery can result in stalling on a Camry. They will continue to push them until the degrading condition in the battery forces a shut down. In most cases, a pull-over and restart restores driving, but it is short-lived.