What's your opinion on the spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default What's your opinion on the spoiler?

I guess we have a pretty unique VUE GL. Somehow, our Cypress Green model made it down the Spring Hill assembly line sans spoiler. According to Saturn's web site and print literature, the spoiler is part of the GL's standard equipment, and it's there for "efficiency, not racing". Well, duh! We noticed its absence after parking next to a regular VUE with the spoiler installed.

Obviously, since it was standard equipment, the dealer will be obliged to install it at our request. But is it worth it? My wife isn't sold on the looks of it, but if it improves efficiency as stated, we will probably go for it. So far, with about 2700 miles or so on the clock, the GL has proved perfect for our needs, it's living up to the EPA estimates, and has had no problems.

What do you think?

Old 04-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: What's your opinion on the spoiler?

Our greenline came without the spoiler as well. The dealer noticed this after he brought it up from another dealer. What he told us was that the spoilers are not put on until after transport to the dealers lot.

I don't know how much of an improvement you get with the spoiler, but if IIRC it is attached without drilling so you may be able to remove it later without any holes. (Check with the dealer first on that). You may be in a better position to tell us what gain the spoiler gives if you go this route.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

Are you referring to the spoiler over the rear center break light? If so, I have one installed on my Hybrid Vue.

As for it increasing gas mileage - I would be very curious to see if your mpg numbers improve after it is installed. However, with varying temps and driving conditions it maybe tough to determine an exact improvement figure.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's the one. I did notice four screw holes in the top of the hatch (on the inside, near where the struts attach) that are painted over. I wonder if that's where it attaches.

I'll call the dealer this afternoon and see what they say. Thanks for the tip about it being dealer-installed--that makes sense. When we bought our GL, if had JUST arrived at the dealer (in the middle of a bad winter storm) with only a few miles on the odo. They probably did a pretty hasty inspection to get it ready for delivery.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Enthusiast

The spoiler will help on the order of a few tenths of a mpg on typcal highway driving. No impact at all on city driving. The faster you drive on the highway, the more improvement you will get (function of vehicle speed squared). You may not notice / it may seem insignificant for any one trip but over time, it will add up. The spoiler improves the aerodynamics of the vehicle. I would take it back to the dealer and have them install the spoiler - they are supposed to do it before you get the vehicle.