Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

"You can't be a meat-eating environmentalist"

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default "You can't be a meat-eating environmentalist"

Last Friday I saw the president of PETA on Bill Maer say that no meat eater can call themselves an environmentalist.

She stated that car/suvs account for 1/5 for GH emissions, while livestock farming accounts for HALF.

I remembered hearing the UN report about this earlier, but I guess it took two times to hear it for it to really hit home.

What's a hybrid driver's opinion on this?

Personally, I have been on an almost exclusive raw-vegan diet for 6 months (and lost 50lbs, btw!).

Ian

P.S. I'd also like to point out that I do not believe that this applies to hunters of their own meat -- strictly those who support livestock farming.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: "You can't be a meat-eating environmentalist"

So what does a Peta taste like?

Bob Wilson

Old 09-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Chicken?

Old 09-11-2007, 12:04 PM

Dry and crunchy?

Old 09-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

After a little research I think the PETA president
got it backwards.

http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/edu/dee...activities.gif

and

http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/20...386/index.html
(see Data Limitations Section)

It looks like about 20% for agriculture and 50%
for transportation to me.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:45 PM

hmmmm.... Not sure about that first graph, but taking a pretty close look at the Australian government's Dept. of the Environment and Water Resources report, it appears to me that both PETA and you are wrong. To pick a random year from the chart (2003), the total "Carbon dioxide equivalent emissions from the agricultural sector" appear to be about 90 Mt CO2-e. Then if you scroll down the page to the chart on "Carbon dioxide equivalent emissions by mode of travel and road travel" and look at the data for that industry, I notice that the net Domestic Transport Emissions by Mode, when you add all the modes together, comes out to 80 Mt CO2-e.

http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/20...385/index.html

That's not 20%:50% in either direction--- that's practically one-to-one! Looking back to 1990 the transportation figure is at 62 Mt, which might make it 2/3rds that of the agricultural mark, still around 90 Mt, but still not really close to 20%:50%

However-- these are domestic Australian statistics!!! Hard to refute PETA statistics with such a narrow focus. I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong, abowles, just that your cites haven't proved what you're saying.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 PM

I like Meat but i like the environment to i even stoped driving my car every day and got a bike.

Erik

(i still drive it if im going more then ten miles though)

Old 09-11-2007, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

I think if all of us animals stop flatulating for the entire year, then all greenhouse gases will be cut in half.

Old 09-12-2007, 04:57 AM

What's not to be sure of Leahbeatle? The first graph is
showing 17 year old data but approximates the 20% 50% split I stated, not the one PETA stated. The Data Limitations section I referred to
clearly states and I quote

Data Limitations

Nil known.
Issues for which this is an indicator and why

Atmosphere — Climate variability and change - Greenhouse
The agricultural sector accounts for around 19 percent of Australia’s net emissions and therefore, is one of the major drivers in our level of net greenhouse emissions. Emissions from the agriculture sector is a direct indicator for this issue.

Looks like "about 20%" to me.

As far as applicability, Australian society is essentially the same as the U.S. in my view, on a smaller scale. They are a modern industrialist state where they eat meat aren't they? They drive cars and work in big cities, etc. don't they?

I will find the U.S. data but the I suspect they will show a similar split. They are not that different from us.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:05 AM

Here is a link to the USDA which restates the 20% component of agriculture to GH gas totals world wide. What is interesting is the statement in the 6th paragraph that says in the U.S. agriculture contributes 7%. Hmmmm.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pro...=204&docid=310

Maybe we are more different than I thought.

Last edited by abowles; 09-12-2007 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Spelling and Content

Quick Reply: "You can't be a meat-eating environmentalist"

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands