Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Wikipedia vs. HR 5734

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Engineering first
Default Wikipedia vs. HR 5734

Hi,

I'm getting a little resistance to editing the "Quietness" section of the Prius entry in Wikipedia. I'm trying to get some of the opposition facts and data into the record but two editors seem to think the current "Quietness" is perfect without the counter arguments. It reads as if 'we are happy with it.' The version as I found it:

The Wall Street Journal reported in February 2007 on concerns that quiet cars like the Prius may pose a safety risk to those who rely on engine noise to sense the presence or location of moving vehicles.[79] Blind pedestrians are a primary concern, and the National Federation of the Blind advocates audio emitters on hybrid vehicles,[80] but increased risks may also affect sighted pedestrians or bicyclists who are accustomed to aural cues from vehicles. In July 2007, a spokesperson for Toyota said the company is aware of the issue and is studying options[81].

The UK engineering group Lotus is developing a device for fitment to hybrid and electric cars, designed to eliminate the problem caused to pedestrians and cyclists when are running silently. The device will emit a simulated engine-like noise, controlled by the vehicle speed, from a front-mounted speaker. The device has been installed on a Prius, and is triggered only when the car is running in electric-only mode.[82]
This is the latest paragraph I attempted to add:
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) held a hearing June 23, 2008 on this issue and the submitted materials are available www.regulations.gov - search NHTSA-2008-0108-0020 for opposition research and report. This includes the Dr. Christopher Hogan analysis of the available NHTSA pedestrian accident data showing: (1) the Prius has the same rate as ordinary cars; (2) no blind has been killed by a Prius, yet, and; (3) an average of 5 blind are part of the annual 4,700 pedestrian deaths each year. This hearing relates to pending Federal legislation HR 5734 and applies to the nearly identical California legislation SB 1174.
I am not a Wikipedia expert and may be violating a number of style guides. I can learn and will try to fix it if that is the only problem. What I can't abide is having only one side of the issue presented. IMHO, that implies our acceptance of this nonsense.

I could use a little help on this.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Prospective Enthusiast
Default Re: Wikipedia vs. HR 5734

Not sure what style guides are being violated...a bit odd. Seems like the easier thing to do would be to allow you to post the paragraph and then edit it. But some of those wiki editors are a bit draconian...shame because that section really is not entirely accurate.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Wikipedia vs. HR 5734

I've been in discussions for a week with them and now have some clue. What it comes down to:
  1. Only a newspaper or peer reviewed paper can be used as a source.
  2. There must be nothing added to or explaining the original source material.
Now that I have a better understanding, I may be able to get the "Quietcars" section at least "unf*cked" ... I'm also learning how 'truth' in the media is determined. Knowing how the system works makes it a lot easier to solve problems in the future.

Bob Wilson