Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: What Political party do you stand for and why?
Republican
26.23%
Democrat
34.43%
Independant
22.95%
Other
3.28%
None
14.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What Political party do you stand for and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Political party do you stand for and why?

I don't think that is actually why most media reports have many errors. Have you ever noticed that when you're reading an article that's about something you know something about, there are always several mistakes? They'll quote you, but it isn't *quite* what you said, (if it's not *really* far off) or they'll mention people but characterize someone in the wrong role or focus in on a detail that is plain wrong, etc. I am just speaking from my own experiences (and so many other people I know) but generally, I think that almost all media reports are someone else's approximation of the stuff that the experts or insiders really know. Discount it by at least 10%, and that's if it's a media source that you trust to be trying hard to get things straight. If you read 8 different articles on a particular subject, (one incident, not a whole field of knowledge like 'hybrid cars') you probably cover all the important details with enough accuracy to know what's known about it by the media. I may sound a little paranoid, but I don't think it's paranoia, I think it's a healthy skepticism learned from experience. Newspaper articles and especially online pieces are not written and fact-checked like reference books, and they shouldn't be taken that way. People read these errors as political maneuvering, and sometimes it is (take FOX news- they make no bones about what their corporate goal really is, straight from Rupert Murdoch's mouth in past interviews and other publications, and it is NOT to present the news in a 'fair,' 'balanced' or 'objective' way) but not always. It doesn't have to be malicious to be biased- all humans are biased. Me, too.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

whydopeoplewhopostonforumsneverwriteinparagraphs?I finditveryannoyingandhardtoreadsoijusttypicallyski ptheirpost.

Bowdirk

Old 03-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by BowDirk
whydopeoplewhopostonforumsneverwriteinparagraphs?I finditveryannoyingandhardtoreadsoijusttypicallyski ptheirpost.

Bowdirk
You're kidding, right? Blogs are supposed to be formatted as freeform speech, not as literature. People only talk in paragraphs when they're making "State of the Union" speeches. I hope this answers your question.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

If a poster wants to be read they will be courteous to the reader and use paragraphs. If they are writing for their own enjoyment and ego in their personal journal I could care less how they format their text. If they are trying to converse with others and share a point of view the communication is more effective using common conventions to separate thoughts and concepts in to logical groups. My assumption is that if someone can't bother to format the writing in to normal paragraph structure, their arguments probably aren't thought out very well either and why waste my time reading them?

Bowdirk

Last edited by tbaleno; 03-27-2006 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling
Old 03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Libertarian. Freedom that doesn't discriminate.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

your assumption in mostly wrong i think.

as long as the point is communicated w/out confusion then so be it- whatever form it takes. it's an i-net auto enthusiast forum after all, not a place for overanalyzation.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Off Topic:
please stay on topic. The point has been made.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Enthusiast

I voted "Republican" but almost selected "Other". IMO it may be time for a third party called the "Centrist" party.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:41 AM
Prius Enthusiast
Exclamation Re: What Political party do you stand for and why?

Well, as a fiscal conservative, I guess I'd have to say that I'm an independent (or independant, I guess, depending on the poll ). As a social liberal and fiscal conservative, how do I find a party to cleave to? I have voted the Democratic ticket since '92, and feel proud to have done so, no more so than the last two elections that absolutely astounded me. I mean what the F#$@? Were 51% of Americans high b/t 2000 and 2004? Just curious...

And, btw, I'm only a fiscal conservative as it applies to stupid chit we shouldn't be spending taxpayers' money on. I understand and believe in the need for taxation; just make it smart. And understand that households who make under $20000 a year should pay a lower percentage of taxes than someone making in the 7-plus digits. Agghhhhh! I'm getting drawn into a political and socio-economic rant!! Acckkkk---tthhhppptt...must stop now!

Old 06-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

I guess I am the oddball hybrid owner. I am very conservative (fiscally,socially, and politically), Republican, and a devout Southern Baptist. I'll just blow all the stereotypes out of the water. I still like the money I'm saving and the gas mileage I get in my Civic Hybrid.

Now how's THAT for having some guts!

Last edited by wburke8302; 06-02-2006 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: What Political party do you stand for and why?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands