Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: What do you believe?
In a both a creator, God or God-like creator AND an afterlife.
55.36%
In neither a creator, God or God-like creator NOR in an afterlife.
37.50%
In an afterlife but NOT a creator, God or God-like creator.
0%
In a creator, God or God-like creator but NOT in an afterlife.
7.14%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

What do you believe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Veracitorian Muser
Default Re: What do you believe?

Originally Posted by lakedude
Of course nobody knows for sure what is up in the grand scheme of things. If the poll asked what do you know for sure and it included your option 5 then everybody answering honestly would be forced to pick option 5.
You presume a high level of rationality. Religion does not preclude rationality, but fundamentalism does.

One issue with True Believers is that they cannot distinguish between belief and fact, and most will openly admit that they know for a fact that God is real, communicates with them personally in one way or another such as answering prayer, and that there is no other fact that they are more certain of. They know for sure and provide honest (irrational) answers.

-- Alan

Old 04-28-2007, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by alan_in_tempe
You presume a high level of rationality.
-- Alan
My honesty standards are somewhat high. I'd be a crummy witness in court because I know NOTHING for 100% certainty. I believe the world and everything on it exists but I don't know for certain that it isn't all make believe like "The Matrix" or the like simulation from "The 13th Floor". How could anyone anything know for sure?

Old 04-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'd like to point out a really good website for learning about different religions and beliefs.

Religions Tolernance

Alan--I really don't understand why you say that agnosticism is more extreme than atheism. Agnosticism is simply to say "I do not know". Atheism says, "I know (without proof)". All religions are: "I know (without proof)".

Old 04-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by Mr. Kite
Alan--I really don't understand why you say that agnosticism is more extreme than atheism. Agnosticism is simply to say "I do not know". Atheism says, "I know (without proof)". All religions are: "I know (without proof)".
As I wrote above, there is a range of agnosticism and a range of atheism. Hard core agnosticism is more assertive of a belief (it is impossible to know if god exists), than is hard core atheism (there is no god). Saying something is impossible (agnostic) is a stronger belief than saying one does not believe (atheist).

At the other extreme, soft agnosticism is a don't care attitude, while soft atheism is a don't have any belief attitude.

However, most agnostics are more towards a don't know, while most atheists are more towards a don't believe. In the middle where most agnostics and atheists tend to be, you are right, that atheism is more assertive (I don't believe in god) than is agnosticism (I don't know if god exists).

On the other hand, many atheists claim to be agnostic in order to be more socially acceptable, much as it is not uncommon (so I hear) for gays to claim to be bisexual.

-- Alan

Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Enthusiast

You presume a high level of rationality. Religion does not preclude rationality, but fundamentalism does.

One issue with True Believers is that they cannot distinguish between belief and fact, and most will openly admit that they know for a fact that God is real, communicates with them personally in one way or another such as answering prayer, and that there is no other fact that they are more certain of. They know for sure and provide honest (irrational) answers.

-- Alan
I communicate with God, rationally, and know that He exists in fact to the same extent that I know anyone else I communicate with exists.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm an evangelical Christian.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. It is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This is needed because our sin separated us from a perfect and holy God and only through Christ's sacrifice and our belief and repentance can the relationship be made whole again. Christ sacrificed himself for all, but we must believe and accept it, admit our sin and ask him to forgive us and be Lord of our life.

I have seen way too many lives changed, including my own, not believe in God.

The two most arrogant things a person can say is
One: "There is no God" and
Two: "I am God".
Both of these imply an absolute knowledge of all things. As long as we do not have absolute knowledge of all things there is plenty of room for God.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scm2000
I communicate with God, rationally, ...
Isn't that an oxymoron?

Originally Posted by Ian33
I'm an evangelical Christian.

Christianity is a relationship, not a religion. It is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. This is needed because our sin separated us from a perfect and holy God and only through Christ's sacrifice and our belief and repentance can the relationship be made whole again. Christ sacrificed himself for all, but we must believe and accept it, admit our sin and ask him to forgive us and be Lord of our life.

I have seen way too many lives changed, including my own, not believe in God.

The two most arrogant things a person can say is
One: "There is no God" and
Two: "I am God".
Both of these imply an absolute knowledge of all things. As long as we do not have absolute knowledge of all things there is plenty of room for God.
I think the most arrogant thing a person can say is "I know". Some people are to scared to say "I don't know". They would prefer a made up answer over admitting that they do not know the answer.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
Enthusiast

Isn't that an oxymoron?
No.

I think the most arrogant thing a person can say is "I know". Some people are to scared to say "I don't know". They would prefer a made up answer over admitting that they do not know the answer.
You can know God exists to the same level of certainty of knowing that anything else exists. You can open your heart up to Him and he will reveal himself to you.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Veracitorian Muser

Originally Posted by scm2000
I communicate with God, rationally, and know that He exists in fact to the same extent that I know anyone else I communicate with exists.
QED

-- Alan

Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

This is where faith comes in. It takes faith to believe in God. It takes faith to believe in anything.

Faith and belief are fundamental parts of the human experience. Every day we face decisions dealing with the unknown that we make in faith of what we believe to be true.

A life believing nothing would be a very empty one.

It was a step of faith for me to buy a hybrid car. I had many misconceptions. I thought they were underpowered, uncomfortable, bad for the environment, not worth the money, full of gimmicks, and a host of other things. I had many well-researched, intellectual reasons why I didn't want one and wanted a SUV. I was wrong. I read this site and even though I still was unsure, took the plunge. Afterward I discovered my hybrid misgivings had been misunderstandings and blindness.

Christianity is similar, in that until you take a step of faith, there is a spiritual blindness. Just like my eyes were opened about hybrid cars, a step of faith toward God opens spiritual eyes. Then the relationship starts a life long journey.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not satisfied with the "I don't know" answer when it comes to God. That answer doesn’t help me spiritually or intellectually. I would like to know the answer.

We all will face our mortality at some point. At death, "I don't know" becomes "I didn't believe" whether God exists or not.

At that point my irrational belief may be better then your rational unbelief.

Anyway, thanks for the great information about hybrid cars, it made a positive change in my life.

Quick Reply: What do you believe?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands