Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Weird - 15 seconds of fame

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Engineering first
Default Weird - 15 seconds of fame

Hi folks,

I didn't know the book had come out until someone mentioned it a couple of weeks ago. From Nick Yost the essential Hybrid car handbook {A Buyer's Guide}, The Lyons Press, 2006, pp. 8:
Originally Posted by the essential Hybrid car handbook
Although he rejects the hypermiler label, Bob Wilson, an engineer from Huntsville, Alabama, is a good example of one. He has been averaging 49.1 miles per gallon in his 2003 Toyota Prius since he bought it in October of 2003. That beats the EPA estimate of 48 mpg.

He is always thinking how he can squeeze a little more distance out of every gallon. He shuts the car down at red lights and plots routes that maximize use of the electric motor alone. He measures his car's efficiency at different speeds, in hot and cold weather.

He offers these tips to other hybrid owners:
  1. Keep tire pressure well above the manufacture's recommendations, to lower rolling resistance.
  2. Do not fill the oil resevoir to the full mark. That reduces the power needed to keep the oil circulating.
  3. Don't speed.
  4. On the open road, find a tractor-trailer cruising at the speed limit and tuck in a safe distance behind it. This will lower your car's wind resistance.
  5. Do not exceed 25 miles per hour until the engine warms up. The gasoline engine will not shutdown until it is warmed up.
An accident of history, Nick Yost was looking for hypermilers to interview for his book in the winter/spring of 2006. This was the interval when some folks were off organizing CleanMPG.com. Nick asked for volunteers.

I'm not bragging by any stretch of the imagination and my understanding has improved over time. However, Nick got it right enough and I'm especially happy he pointed out, "rejects the hypermiler label."

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-15-2007 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Weird - 15 seconds of fame

Congratulations. I will have to pick up a copy of it. Do you know where it is available other than probably Amazon?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by eikiel
Congratulations. I will have to pick up a copy of it. Do you know where it is available other than probably Amazon?
The ISBN number is:ISBN-10: 1599210193. I found it on several book sites but went with Books A Million since we have a discount card.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Think green.

I figure it's gotta be worth more than 15 seconds of fame.
When I took the book home from the library, I noticed the reference to you right away.
Congrats.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:28 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

You know, I came across that book as well, and ordered it. I looked, since the name was so familiar (Before I ordered it), and found that I had done extensive e-mail communication with Nick for the book, so I'm hoping that I'm in it.

If not, it should be an amusing read anyway.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

It arrived, and sure enough, I'm in it!

Page 22,

Originally Posted by The Essential Hybrid Car Handbook
For Rich Kreuger, a Michigan resident, the purchase of a Ford Escape Hybrid came only after an intense study of the technology and its benefits. He now finds it has brought him enjoyment he hadn't counted on and admission into a select group of dedicated motorists "I am incredibly satisfied with it, and I intend to continue to buy hybrids," he'll tell anyone who asks.
Some of his reasons: "It's one hell of a conversation piece." "There's a sense of superiority knowing you have such an advanced and efficient vehicle working for you." "In some ways I find myself a pioneer and a respected person for getting the most out of my hybrid." "There's a sense of belonging that's very comforting."
He will tell you there are a couple of other things he likes about his Escape Hybrid, too. "To be different . . . [to have] an SUV that gets better miles per gallon than most cars. Nyah! Nyah! Oh yeah, and that green goodie goodie environmental stuff."
Would've been better had they spelled my last name correctly, KrUEger, but hey, can't have it all, can I?

LOL, enjoyment I hadn't counted on. I bought one, now I'm racing around the world for a Guiness Book for World Records entry... Yeah, didn't count on that one!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Engineering first

YEA!!

I wonder if there are any other 'Easter Eggs' in the book? It might be useful to collect all of the names and posts under something like:

"Did you talk to . . . "

<grins>

Bob Wilson