Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Washington University in St. Louis

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Site Founder

I haven't heard of a big waitlist ordeal with Rice, though I don't know anyone else who applied this year and since I'm accepted, it didn't matter to me. The school is very well known in its region, but in the Southeast [and Northeast?] not so much.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

Because it is so reknowned in the southern region, especially in Houston (where I am from) it makes it nearly impossible to get in! But i know three people from my school who were waitlisted and four more who were accepted. i don't think rice wants any more people from my high school! I told my parents we should have moved to New york last year... lol

Old 04-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Site Founder

Yes, it's likely that people in your area have a much tougher time getting in. But, it's a top 20 school with high requirements, so everyone has a tough road

Old 04-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Congrats on getting into Rice!

Originally Posted by dpn86
Like bengevia, I am also guilty of joining this site to post on this thread. Sorry!! I just wanted to say congrats to Jason on making it into Rice! I found out a few days ago I was wait-listed, Rice was the only prestigious school that I applied to. My parents only allowed me to apply to schools inside Texas so, basically it was limited to Rice or University of Texas. Do any of yall know if Rice is infamous for it's wait list like Wash. U? I don't hear back from them until the end of May... the suspense is killing me...
It's unfortunate that your parents had to be like that. My mother made me apply to Wash U, then made me go there when I was rejected from my number one choice, then yelled at me for going there.

Ahh... parents.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Washington University in St. Louis

Ouch Wayne not to many people do that stuff anymore, really. I'm a transplant from the north shore and been here since 73 and have only saw horns on a hood once and that was years ago. The boots and hat well depends on if the Rodeo is going on...lol
Kevin

Old 05-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Enthusiast

I have found that although undergrad is of huge importance in your personal educational experience, if you're going to grad school that's where the name matters. Maybe my field is different.

I got my bachelor's in Cell and Molecular Biology from some unknown school in Wisconsin- UW La Crosse. Then I got in to grad school at Duke University Medical Center for my PhD in Pharmacology. Nobody knows or cares where UW-L is, but they are impressed with the Duke name.

Jason you're missing out on Duke... beautiful campus, nice weather and a lot of basketball excitement! But I won't give you a hard time about it. I'm actually kind of in gridlock with my department at the moment but I won't get into it.

Anyway, congrats! I'm glad people have parents who are supportive, I got yelled at when I said I was moving off to college.

I wish you the best. But you're in for one tough ride, my friend. They'll never make it easy on you if they can help it. Just keep in mind you get used to it and it gets better. I keep telling my cousin (college freshman) that same thing. They try to break you in with a huge workload, then that decreases and it starts getting more intense. But we all know you'll be fine.

Sorry for the long post. I just feel the need to give advice since there was none available to me when I was in your spot.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Site Founder

Thanks, Nicky. I actually disagree about some of your Duke "perks," but it's all a matter of opinion. I didn't like the gothic architecture and compared to Florida or Texas, the weather isn't very great I'm not really considering WashU anymore, anyway. I'm going to Rice

Old 05-05-2005, 10:22 AM
Enthusiast

Well compared to Fl and Tx, ok you're right.

I'm from Wisconsin. Much nicer here.

And if you don't like Gothic architecture... then I guess you made a good choice.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Enthusiast

galaxee-

I know where UW-LaCrosse is! I live near Winona, Minnesota, and my sister attended UW-L as will a friend of mine this fall. Just thought I'd give a shout out to someone from the Coulee Region.

Last edited by bengevia; 05-17-2005 at 08:00 PM.