Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

On another site i frequent the term PUNK was used in a title.

I suppose the poor guys that were anally raped in prison would rather that word be less widespread.

Old William S. Burroughs never did like the term Punk Rock.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wwwest
I'm offended that someone of Bavarian desent didn't offer us a beer. But that too would be a generality....I suppose not all Bavarian's like beer.
Drop on by, I make a Summer Saison to kill for. And a hefe to pillage over. Don't get me started about the others.....

Old 01-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scuddy
Drop on by, I make a Summer Saison to kill for. And a hefe to pillage over. Don't get me started about the others.....

Hefe!!!!! Where you at? I live in West Texas and I'll be there as fast as I can (at 50mph!) Actually, if you live west of Texas, I can't make it today. The wind is out of the west at 45-50 miles per hour! That would kill my mileage! (I guess I could drive my pickup!) Seriously, what is a Saison? Sounds interesting! (Would it be PC to drive to drink in a hybrid?) I think you and I need another thread! (Hybrids on home-brew?)

Old 01-29-2008, 09:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

This thread sucessfully got the word RAPE moderated out from the title of another thread.

Ironically this thread has the word RAPE in the title.

Maybe we need another complaint thread.

Last edited by kenny; 01-29-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kenny
This thread sucessfully got the word RAPE moderated out from the title of another thread.

Ironically this thread has the word RAPE in the title.

Maybe we need another complaint thread.

on a certain level.....HA!

Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
I'm raising my hand as being offended by this term and its use. I hope others will join me by adding to this post. Thank you.
I agree. Instead of "I was raped by the dealer"

A better phrase would be, "I was screwed by the dealer."

Yep. Much better. I feel that way every time.

[As you can tell, I don't like censorship. If the poster feels he has been raped or screwed by the dealer, then he should be allowed to express that dissatisfaction. It's his inalienable (some would say god-given) right to express his opinion.]

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

To a point, the owners of this site do have a say. In fact they have deleted post for lesser offenses and have every right to do so. It's not like this is completly public.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes the forum is privately owned. So too is Walmart. And if you start talking to other customers about how shopping there is "like being raped", the store manager can tell you to leave the premises, or tell you to shut up.

That's perfectly legal.

But is it moral? I have to side with "no". Everyone has a right to an opinion, even if the way they express it is not politically-correct. Millions of soldiers have fought & died for that freedom, and I think we should honor their sacrifice by preserving the freedom (i.e. not censoring other people's thoughts).

Sometimes when I go to the dealer,
I do FEEL as though I was just raped (like the $900 bill to replace radiator).
It's a perfectly valid thing to say.

P.S.

And if my saying "the dealer raped me" made you feel uncomfortable or upset. Good. Now you know how *I* felt about the dealer's service. I am very, very upset, and I want you to share that same feeling.

Last edited by rrrrrroger; 01-31-2008 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 AM

Everyone has choices with the words they use in English. The choice to use violent or intense language without a supporting (and understood) context makes it verbal abuse to others. The post that spawned this discussion was like a reckless punch in the face.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by rrrrrroger
And if my saying "the dealer raped me" made you feel uncomfortable or upset. Good. Now you know how *I* felt about the dealer's service. I am very, very upset, and I want you to share that same feeling.
We're drawn together not because we like each other, but because we want to discuss a thing that we have in common. We're still strangers, before, during, and after. How presumptuous it is for you to believe that I wish to be emotionally involved in your situation!

Quick Reply: Use of the word RAPE on this message board?!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands