Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Troll alert: Chris Demorro, part II

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned
Default Re: Its Hard Being Green

I hope you guys know that hybrid vehicles do more harm to the environment than good. The batteries alone destory the environment. In the end a regular gasoline powered car though it produces emissions is better. Rethink Green...

http://doublethinkblog.blogspot.com/...-and-hurt.html

just my .02

Last edited by greenwhat?; 06-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs down Re: Its Hard Being Green

Originally Posted by greenwhat?
I hope you guys know that hybrid vehicles do more harm to the environment than good. The batteries alone destory the environment. In the end a regular gasoline powered car though it produces emissions is better. Rethink Green...

just my .02
What? The old CNW Maketing thing -- again! That old myth has been de-bunked so often on this forum that I am surprised that anyone would post it. Its simply not true.

You might start here with a thread that references an article on Slate that shot this argument down big-time.-https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ly-mail-17465/

... or there is this one which debunks the same irresponsible statement made by a British online news site that later rescinded the article and published an apology. - https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...steland-11994/ This one specifically refutes the claim of the dirty Canadian Factory.

... this one which addresses the old Hummer vs. Prius comparison, but neglected to mention things like recyclability, regeneration, and several non-battery costs of manufacture. This does not mention the difference in demand that the two vastly different vehicles place on the infrastructure, consumables (other than the battery) and other social impacts like parking, road lane widths, etc. -
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...-impact-16094/.

There are lots more, but why tie up space when they can all be found in the archives of this forum.

Last edited by FastMover; 06-25-2008 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Engineering first

I hope you guys know that hybrid vehicles do more harm to the environment than good. ...
just my .02
Thanks to my hybrid, I've got more "green" in my wallet. I never bought mine for environmental reasons but to minimize my fuel costs. Of course in our area, gasoline is running about $4/gal. so it is working out better than expected.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-26-2008, 10:03 PM
Energy Independence

just my .02
greenwhat, maybe you did not know this before now, but that old tired (and wrong) crap about a Hummer being more environmentally friendly than a Prius has been debunked by anyone and everyone that actually takes the time to READ some of its drivel. CNW misrepresents, misuses, and exaggerates data in almost unthinkable ways, and plain out lies and uses 25-year old situations that are completely different today in others. If this is the basis for your thinking that hybrids are bad for the economy, I suggest you read more. Ask questions as you read. Like how in the hel* did they decide that a Prius' lifespan is 109K miles, whereas a Hummer's is well over 300K? I'll tell you how - it helped them make the numbers work for their misleading study.
Although this study DID make them famous (or infamous) ...

Old 06-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Its Hard Being Green

The troll's posting goes back to the "Chris Demorro" article in "The Record." I was looking for his subsequent retraction but stumbled across his two rides: 1969 Mercury Cougar and 1995 Pontiac Trans Am. What is even sadder is that as of March 28, 2007, is his "ethics" about journalism haven't really changed:

http://clubs.ccsu.edu/recorder/edito...asp?NewsID=203

Along those lines, in the interest of fair and balanced journalism, it should be noted that the CNW Marketing research “Dust to Dust,” which I cited in my article, is dubious at best. Much of the debate has centered on the lifetime mileage of the Prius versus the Hummer. The average expected lifespan for a Prius, according to the report, was 100,000 miles when, in reality, the Prius is offered in several states with a warranty up to 150,000 miles alone.

There was also a great deal of debate regarding just which Hummer was used in the CNW report. It was the original Hummer, not the H2 or H3, which may clear up the 300,000 mile lifespan expected from a Hummer. However, there are enough holes as large as this throughout the CNW report to question its objectivity.
He continues to think that this disclaimer is sufficient to excuse his excesses and that journalism should be advocacy:
Unfortunately many of these options go largely unnoticed simply because they don’t come from a major auto manufacturer. This is a large part of why I wrote the article in the first place: I believe hybrids are not going to solve our imminent energy crisis, and focusing on a platform that still requires petrol in any amount is ultimately a band-aid for what could become a mortal wound. But this is what many manufacturers are offering to us; half-assed solutions to a real problem that will affect everyone the world over. But if people are kept in the dark regarding alternatives to oil and hybrids, then by the time real alternatives are available, we may have dug ourselves an oil-lined grave.

Debate, discussion and research are the key to preventing this, and, as a journalism student, I know that I have a long way to go before considering myself an objective, balanced and eloquent journalist. That is why I am attending college, and why I have never projected myself as anything but a student. But I also feel as though I have provoked a lot of thinking outside the traditional schools of thought, and that is what I ultimately aim for.
Here he is 'negotiating' that there was a higher purpose that excuses his original mistake. Still, the original article remains 'troll bait.'

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-27-2008 at 03:04 AM.