Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Studying the Past to Prepare for the energy-poor Future (end of the oil age)

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Studying the Past to Prepare for the energy-poor Future (end of the oil age)

We can learn a lot from our ancestors. They lived in a time before oil was discovered, and when energy was scarce (1700s/1800s). And we are heading in that same direction with dwindling oil supplies.

Some examples:

- They had candles. I use 5 watt bulbs. If they could survive with dim candlelight, so can I survive with "dim" 5-watt light (which is actually several candles brightness).

- They had one-room fireplaces while leaving the rest of the house cool. I have adjustable heating that only heats one room at a time, while the others lay unheated. Saves money & energy to only heat one room, rather than the whole house.

- They had no hot water except what they heated over the fire. I live the same way - only heating water when I need it (on-demand heating).

- They made their own clothes. I don't do that but I do sew & repair the old ones. I've got shirts and pants that are nearly twenty years old (black pants never go out of style). My "youngest" piece of clothing is about five years old, which saves not just money but also resources (carrying the clothing by oil from china).

- And on and on.

I've spent a lot of time studying the past & adapting my lifestyle to be more energy efficient. More like my ancestors. I think it's a worthwhile endeavor (especially with oil becoming scarce and skyrocketing over $100 a barrel).