Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.
View Poll Results: Whats your Favorite Car
Smart ForTwo
11.11%
Honda Civic Hybrid
50.00%
Toyota Prius
22.22%
A car that gets over 30 mpg city
22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Smart ForTwo

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart ForTwo

If you want a modestly priced new car that gets great mileage check out the Toyota Yaris.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Hybrid Owner

I actually drove a Smart last weekend. It's a very clever little car, but I thought it was priced about $5000 too high. The only thing that struck me as somewhat 'cheap' was the service port in the front being tethered on as opposed to hinged. The upholstered dashboard was pretty cool.

The transmission is a bit quirky...you learn really quick to 1) use the manual mode, as the automatic mode is really rude and jerky and 2) to lift throttle right before you upshift.

It handles well around town, and on the highway feels like a larger car (for better or worse).

I can definately see the appeal, and it's definately a niche car. My HCH is way more practical for my lifestyle, however if I lived in a highly congested city with no parking, the smart would be a dream come true.

Unfortunately I was told the waiting list is 2 years out right now...but you can reserve one for $99

Old 04-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinner
Wrong! You are mixing and matching outdated EPA figures and city vs. highway. The smart is currently rated at 33 MPG city and 41 MPG highway. The Civic Hybrid is currently rated at 40 MPG city and 45 MPG highway. Again, ask yourself why a car that's almost half the weight and less than half the cargo and passenger volume of the Civic Hybrid performs so poorly in fuel efficiency. The diesel version does much better, but smart doesn't have a clean diesel version available at this time.

http://smartusa.com/smart-car-techni...fications.aspx
http://smart.com
http://thesmart.ca
i did put the right mpg figures. i did say civic got 45 highway and the fortwo 41 mpg. yeah i know the car is small but i am from the city and that comes in handy. i will have to test drive the car to see what the fortwo really can and can't do and when i test drive i really do push the cars to its limits lol. i do want to thank u for your input. it was helpful to hear from a guy who once owned the fortwo. well thanks again. i will tell you what i think after i test drive it.

-jorge

Old 04-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by caholla
I actually drove a Smart last weekend. It's a very clever little car, but I thought it was priced about $5000 too high. The only thing that struck me as somewhat 'cheap' was the service port in the front being tethered on as opposed to hinged. The upholstered dashboard was pretty cool.

The transmission is a bit quirky...you learn really quick to 1) use the manual mode, as the automatic mode is really rude and jerky and 2) to lift throttle right before you upshift.

It handles well around town, and on the highway feels like a larger car (for better or worse).

I can definately see the appeal, and it's definately a niche car. My HCH is way more practical for my lifestyle, however if I lived in a highly congested city with no parking, the smart would be a dream come true.

Unfortunately I was told the waiting list is 2 years out right now...but you can reserve one for $99
wow thats a long wait lol. its like waiting to buy a ferrari. o well its worth the wait for me since it will give me time to save up money to buy it when it finally comes in. better let i could start paying it off now ad by time it comes in it will be paid off. also thanks for those tips about the transmission. i really like the smart since its just me and my girlfriend right now and i need a car that will get me to far places without putting a hole in my wallet. yeah i know its small and has limited storage but its enough for me. i may check it out tomorrow and give it a little tst drive to see how it really rides.

-jorge

Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 AM
Enthusiast

Hey guys i went to test drive the Smart Fortwo a few weeks ago and it was great. i didnt feel the things you guys were talking about like the transmission being jumpy. it drove smooth and the transmission was great. i drove it on the local streets and the interstate. i kept up with traffic and had great response. the gas pedal was firm and the brake was the same. i have test driven a few cars in the past years and the Smart Fortwo was better then al of them. I remember driving the VW Rabbit and i didnt like it at all. the gas pedal was really light and u couldnt really feel it. The brakes were even worst. when u try to apply the brakes it would be really soft and mushy and feel effect of the brakes until u put more pressure on it. Now the Smart Fortwo was a great proformer in my books. I am not sure where u guys get all this bad information about it. You really should test drive one or have owned the new one not the older one to really say anything about it. So has any one tried driving the new Smart car. If u have please tell me your input.

-jorge

Old 05-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jorge
There are alot more cool things about this car and the compant that produces it. Basically everything about this car and the company is very eco-friendly. So check it out for yourself at www.smart.com . I am sure you will like what u see at the site.
What is your goal on GreenHybrid? Do you want everyone to nod and agree with you on your preferred car? If that is the case, then you will probably find an audience more to your liking on http://www.clubsmartcar.com. You'll definitely find more ownership experiences being told there.

You have asked for input here, and you got it. If your heart is set on the smart fortwo, then go buy it. It makes no difference to me what you do. I've offered my insights, having been a former owner of one of them, and all I can tell you now is that I suffer no delusion nor emotional problems in what I would rather own and drive.