Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Mad

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Mad

I know I'm not entirely rational on this subject. I'm mad, and ignorant, and that's never rational, but when I see that some manufacturer is touting how cool it is that their "green" "hybrid" gets 30 MPG, (I used to have a 22 foot Rialta CAMPER that got nearly 20 MPG for heaven's sake!) I can't help but say to myself - with gas nearing $5.00 - "Big Whup!!! - oh please Detroit, pretty please Japan, pretty please with sugar on it Germany, can I have one that gets 30.5 next year and then 31 the year after that and then 31.5 the year after that - pleeeeeeease!!!" It's like stepping out into a crisp Himilayan day at 40 below and as you're about to collapse your guide says, "Jeepers, Omega makes a great suit for this weather, but here, put on this fleece for now." My wife and I travel with my son around the U.S. (he's an aspiring pro mountain biker) and we take a lot of gear, bikes, camping equipment, etc.. A Prius just isn't quite big enough. I keep hearing about these 50-70 MPG station wagons in Europe (I think VW and Subaru) and that sounds more like it. That's what I need - a more substantial car with MUCH better mileage than is now available. These cars aren't available in the U.S.? What's up with that? I'm sure one could get the idea that the U.S. industry is just going to sell sell sell their "big whup!" 30-40 MPG cars even though they make much better ones so that their "planned obsolesence" strategy will ensure they make a ton of money as people have to shell out for a new car again to get the very best mileage ratings - of course, I don't think that - that would be very cynical of me.

Am I just screwed - do I just have to wait until the industry gods deign to grace me with their 60MPG cars (probably when gas gets to $10/gal.)? Are 60-70-80 MPG cars (read station wagon/small SUV/small minivan) actually available someplace in the world or is that just B.S., is anyone buying them and having them shipped to the U.S., can they be registered here? I'd call Obama, but he's been over 3 times already this week (comet hit the city, then a 10.4 earthquake broke the local dam, and a few days later this weird "incurable" plague hit the town) - he took care of it but I think he's starting to get pissed off.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:48 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mad

Are you aware of the difference in the size of the US gallon? This will make the MPG look 20% better in Europe.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:00 AM
my other car is a FJORD

with proper driving techniques, there are several small vehicles available in this country already that can get close to 60MPG, or 50 at least. you may have to sacrifice driving 75 on the highway, and having a big engine, but it can be done.

look at such vehicles as the yaris, the civic, the corolla.....small used hondas are great for good mileage. but, as i say, a lot of it is how you drive it.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:12 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Mad

Originally Posted by ltlredwagon
. . . do I just have to wait until the industry [releases RJW] their 60MPG cars . . .
You might click on the "Compare" tab and look at the milage numbers many of our hybrid owners have and are getting. Many of us know that 60 MPG hybrids are already rolling around the roads and can be bought either new or used. Then there are those who "don't curse the darkness."

There are folks who do their own work to improve their vehicle performance and efficiency. So instead of waiting for "industry," roll your own.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

There are folks who do their own work to improve their vehicle performance and efficiency.
This was my thoughts while reading the whole tirade.

I understand, live and sympothize with ltlredwagon's lament however makes no mention of personal respnonsability.

It is not clear if he is driving efficiently or just driving like 75% of others and then complaining about the cost. He might not know that very efficient regular car drivers are even beating their hybrid counterparts, simply by modifying habits.

Either way I welcome ltlredwagon and hope he returns.

-Steve

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 06-04-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added welcome
Old 06-04-2008, 08:00 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Mad

I hope he returns too. Just his first posting was more "venting" than a reasoned consideration of the options. Like you, I'm not one to "curse the darkness." There are so many better things to do in life than to be frustrated in self-imposed impotence.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Old Boomer Techie

Agreed, I run into people all of the time with these frustrations. I tell them to express their rage with their pocket book and not their browser. (Wall Street, and anywhere eslse there is a market maker) pays no attention to what is said - only what the venting consumer spends his money on.

When they complain about efficiency and then go out and by Hummers, Explorers, Navigators, Tahoes and Suburbans I can produce little sympathy.

If they want more efficient cars, then they should seek out and buy the most efficient available in the current market, and be verbal about why they are buying it -- that, and that alone will drive product development in the right direction.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast

Ouch! Okay, you guys got me nailed. I'm mostly in a hurry and it's pedal to the metal. But this website is helping out a lot. I've spent a lot of time just looking at the various posts and I'm getting a good education and things are starting to look more hopeful. Bob

Old 06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Old Boomer Techie

Originally Posted by ltlredwagon
Ouch! Okay, you guys got me nailed. I'm mostly in a hurry and it's pedal to the metal. But this website is helping out a lot. I've spent a lot of time just looking at the various posts and I'm getting a good education and things are starting to look more hopeful. Bob
Don't take it too hard Itiredwagon. There a a lot of us "reformed", former type A drivers here, and you know that a common statement is "there is no stonger anti-smoking advocate than a reformed smoker"... Same thing applies here.

But one, truely magical, aspect of the hybrid is the emotional impact it has on a very large number of drivers. It makes them a kinder, more gentile citizen in traffic and also in life. I am not the first, or even one of the first 100 to report lower blood pressure, better family relations, improved health and a different, softer outlook on other aspects of life -- all due to my hybrid (sorry, getting a little teary here!).

Old 06-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Mad

Originally Posted by FastMover
... I am not the first, or even one of the first 100 to report lower blood pressure, better family relations, improved health and a different, softer outlook on other aspects of life -- ...
and ". . . where “men are strong, women are handsome, and all of the children are above average."

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Mad

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands