Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

Its Hard Being Green

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Post Its Hard Being Green

I try...I really try. I drive a hybrid, have a metal energy saver roof, recycle almost everything, use cloth shopping bags, mulch and compost my yard waste and ...well, you get the idea.

And then something like this comes along!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e-LOtKIIKcg

Last edited by FastMover; 06-18-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Its Hard Being Green

I find it funny that most thing that we think of as going green...actually hurt the environment more. Time had an article on various "green" measures and how their intentions actually harmed the environment. We need to use some common sense.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
We need to use some common sense.
Like most 'green' problems, the issue is very complicated and requires a great deal of study to determine a best approach. 'Common sense' says that replacing an incandescent bulb with a CFL that contains mercury is a bad idea. Well how bad of an idea is it to use 5 times the energy over a 10 year period? What's the relative environmental impact of the production and disposal of a single CFL? Speaking of environmental impact, how do you compare mercury to air pollution of coal power plants? Cost to clean up? The area of effect? The threat level?

These aren't easy questions to answer and few people have the expertise to do the analysis. I doubt common sense would come up with the best plan. If it could, we probably wouldn't be in trouble in the first place.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:09 AM

fyi, i switched my house to cfl (a while ago). I am refering to other great ideas such as ethanol...what a waste of effort, when there are better alternatives.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 AM

We have been using these bulbs and tubs for years and now all of a sudden we find they have mercury in them. What has happened over the years to these old bulbs? It is like this for alot of things, pay a fee for disposal , but no place to take it! H

Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Driving in stealth mode

If it true that these bulbs are only produced in China and will be required for eveyone to use I think it's pathetic and incomprehensible. I know I'd pay a little more for something that is American made.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

Nuclear power.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coolshock1
If it true that these bulbs are only produced in China and will be required for eveyone to use I think it's pathetic and incomprehensible. I know I'd pay a little more for something that is American made.
Mind you, he didn't say incandescent bulbs were made in the US. It is just fun to point out when we're buying things made in China.

It is also a little short sighted to want to exclusively buy American. You need to remember that our mortgage market is being propped up by foreign investment from Asia. If we don't buy their products, they can't invest in us.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I never said I wanted to buy exclusively American. Basically my statement was if our only option was from purchasing ONLY from China that I would pay a little more for a product if it was made in the US. I don't have a problem with foreign investment as I make sure to have a portion of my retirement portfolio invested in foreign investments.

It is absolutely absurd to require the US population to purchase an item that is only manufactured in a country where our foreign relations are not exactly the most stable.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:40 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think "going green" is just the newest thing and people are finally getting the fact we waste so much here in the US. I mean........you would not have to worry about "going green" if you had been practicing all these things all along. If we as Americans just didn't waste or be typical "consumers", we would all be better off. It's really just that simple. It shouldn't take gas to reach $4/gal, "global warming" or numerous other issues that have been around for many years to bring about change. It is something that should encompass everything we do, all the time. It doesn't just mean driving a hybrid...........it's really how you live your life everyday that counts.

Quick Reply: Its Hard Being Green

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands