Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

iPod Photo

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 03:35 PM
Site Founder

Anyone know much about the new iPod Photo? Looks real neat. Full color display and added photo slideshow capabilities Maybe I'll take a look at it soon...

Flipside? $500

Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Site Founder

Hmm I think it's probably a big rip off. That's real steep for what you get.

Old 11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast

I would wait for PSP - you can see your photos on that one too. Besides - you have an MP3 player for playing MP3s not for looking at small photos.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Site Founder

What is PSP? I've decided against the iPod Photo but may get an iPod.

Old 11-05-2004, 05:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

the iPod Photo is a good idea that they really left crippled and incomplete and, therefore, relatively useless.

Good Review at:
DPReview

Nikon announced the CoolWalker over a year ago, but there's still nothing you can touch or buy. It looks like it will be a good option, but no price announced and they're only talking about a 30MB HD, by the time they get that out, for the price they'll probably sell at, it should be a minimum of 40MB, and 60 would be a lot better. For now, however, it's just etherware.

I also heard word of another, similar, image storage device but with a much larger screen (and much higher price), but now can't recall where I heard it, who made it or any details.

Old 11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast

PSP = playstation portable. game console with builtin blue tooth and all sorts of other capabilities

Old 11-25-2004, 08:22 PM
Enthusiast

The iPod Photo has a beautiful screen, and wonderful battery life, but you're right, it's been crippled. I tend to agree with Jobs' assertion that video is less than ideal for this kind of device, but as someone who's always taking the laptop to the in-laws' or parents' to show off the latest photos, the idea of just taking the iPod -- which would be along for the drive anyways -- is very attractive. The idea of having to take the dock and cable as well, in order to show the pictures on a screen -- not so big on that. Right now, it's not worth the price-premium compared to other iPods.

Jason, if you're not sure teetering on the iPod, check out eBay or other places. A lot of Macolytes are gadget-geeks extrordinaire (myself included) and are now upgrading their still perfectly-good 3G iPods (between 10 GB and 40 GB) for the new 4G model with the click-wheel. You should be able to get a decent price for those 3G models. I know that's the case around here.

It's a great purchase, IMHO. Neither my fiancee or I could imagine being without an iPod. There are tape adapters or FM adapters (I reccomend tape, personally) that will let you play your tunes on your Prius, and it fits brilliantly, either alone or in a holder, in a Prius cupholder. Especially essential if you're the type who takes long roadtrips, since you can take every song you own with you, flip it on shuffle, and listen to as many of your favourite songs as you see fit.

I have a 3G 30 GB 'Pod myself... and my only other piece of advice about it would be BUY A CASE OR A SKIN AT THE SAME TIME YOU BUY YOUR IPOD... because I didn't, and discovered the hard way just how susceptible those things are to scratching. My 'Pod is now not so beautiful, but I love it anyway.

Old 11-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Site Founder

I'm actually not considering an iPod anymore. Decided it's just not enough bang for the buck. Then again, neither is XM integration with the Prius... but who can explain the way my mind works? =) I think commercial-free satellite radio, including television network news, is a great thing.